Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
With a coach that is going to run a defensive "shutdown" line, what's the point of bringing in offensive minded wingers and dumping Silf? RC is not going to break up the Cogs/Kes/Silf line and put scoring wingers with Kesler.
I'd assume this is directed at my comment. But for me, wasn't Saad used with Toews on Chicago's "Shut down" line? I see Saad as an offensive upgrade on Silf, an upgrade on LW and reducing Cogs minutes to where they probably should be. As for Eaves, hes been largly used as a 3rd liner and a checker most of his career. He is a solid forechecker and goes to the net. If we assume that he won't be reunited with Getzlaf and Rakell because Perry doesn't seem very effective away from those 2 and Kase and Rico have established Chemistry there aren't a whole lot of options. We have a lot of forwards with little opportunity to move up the lineup. BM is going to have to start making room. It makes sense to shed the players you don't plan to keep long term. You also have the option of just putting Saad with Rico and Kase. Either way we are upgrading the LW. Making room on the roster for Eaves to come back and creating the likely oportunity for AHL call ups. Its not like RC will run a 4th line made up of guys yet to crack the NHL. At best I could see Blandisi getting the 4c spot if we don't resign Grant because he has the physical aspect to his game. Apply the known rationale used on Roy earlier this year and we can safely assume we won't be filling the 4th line with AHL standouts or more importantly guys like Steel, Jones, or Terry.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'd assume this is directed at my comment. But for me, wasn't Saad used with Toews on Chicago's "Shut down" line? I see Saad as an offensive upgrade on Silf, an upgrade on LW and reducing Cogs minutes to where they probably should be. As for Eaves, hes been largly used as a 3rd liner and a checker most of his career. He is a solid forechecker and goes to the net. If we assume that he won't be reunited with Getzlaf and Rakell because Perry doesn't seem very effective away from those 2 and Kase and Rico have established Chemistry there aren't a whole lot of options. We have a lot of forwards with little opportunity to move up the lineup. BM is going to have to start making room. It makes sense to shed the players you don't plan to keep long term. You also have the option of just putting Saad with Rico and Kase. Either way we are upgrading the LW. Making room on the roster for Eaves to come back and creating the likely oportunity for AHL call ups. Its not like RC will run a 4th line made up of guys yet to crack the NHL. At best I could see Blandisi getting the 4c spot if we don't resign Grant because he has the physical aspect to his game. Apply the known rationale used on Roy earlier this year and we can safely assume we won't be filling the 4th line with AHL standouts or more importantly guys like Steel, Jones, or Terry.

Saad has a cap hit of 6M and has produced less offense this year than Silf. I don't think Ducks can count on Eaves next year, based on his age and coming off of a very serious illness. I agree with making room for talented young guys, but that's not happening on the 4th line with this coach.

Reactions: Dmang714

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Saad has a cap hit of 6M and has produced less offense this year than Silf. I don't think Ducks can count on Eaves next year, based on his age and coming off of a very serious illness. I agree with making room for talented young guys, but that's not happening on the 4th line with this coach.
I'm not sure it is really fair to just look at this year for Saad and say he isn't worth his 6 mil. Saad has 2x 20 goal seasons and a 30 goal season at 25. Silf has 2x 20 goal seasons at 27. Saad has 3 more years of team control while Silf only has 1. Silf likely commands a similar paycheck based on playoff success and reputation. So Saad is the better goal scorer, signed longer and is younger and in a bad year has similar point production to a guy playing on a better team. I think Saad is a better option than targeting a player from UFA who will be older, on the downside of their careers, probably cost more and have much longer term. It also creates another high end LS which outside of Rico, we do not have. We have a lot of RS guys. We need to have guys who can give other teams different looks. Its why the Ducks are still rumored to be interested in another LS forward.

As far as Eaves goes, I think we have to assume he will play next year. It is possible that he wont be anything more than a 4th liner but everything I have seen indicates the Organization expects a full recovery and plan on him coming back next year. If we Traded Silf and Eaves fails to recover into a checking role Then I imagine the Ducks could find someone who could fill that role, either from within or by trade. Still this all depends on how they view Eaves. If they indeed don't feel like he will recover enough to play in a top 9 role then they don't trade Silf. Our org depth at RW is kind of sad behind Kase and Terry and really the only guys I would really trust in a checking role are Silf and Eaves that play RW. Though I would wonder if Kase could do for Kesler and Saad what Cogs does for Silf and Kesler and then you could put Terry with Rico. Mostly I would like someone with a little more offense playing on the second line with Kesler.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'm not sure it is really fair to just look at this year for Saad and say he isn't worth his 6 mil. Saad has 2x 20 goal seasons and a 30 goal season at 25. Silf has 2x 20 goal seasons at 27. Saad has 3 more years of team control while Silf only has 1. Silf likely commands a similar paycheck based on playoff success and reputation. So Saad is the better goal scorer, signed longer and is younger and in a bad year has similar point production to a guy playing on a better team. I think Saad is a better option than targeting a player from UFA who will be older, on the downside of their careers, probably cost more and have much longer term. It also creates another high end LS which outside of Rico, we do not have. We have a lot of RS guys. We need to have guys who can give other teams different looks. Its why the Ducks are still rumored to be interested in another LS forward.

As far as Eaves goes, I think we have to assume he will play next year. It is possible that he wont be anything more than a 4th liner but everything I have seen indicates the Organization expects a full recovery and plan on him coming back next year. If we Traded Silf and Eaves fails to recover into a checking role Then I imagine the Ducks could find someone who could fill that role, either from within or by trade. Still this all depends on how they view Eaves. If they indeed don't feel like he will recover enough to play in a top 9 role then they don't trade Silf. Our org depth at RW is kind of sad behind Kase and Terry and really the only guys I would really trust in a checking role are Silf and Eaves that play RW. Though I would wonder if Kase could do for Kesler and Saad what Cogs does for Silf and Kesler and then you could put Terry with Rico. Mostly I would like someone with a little more offense playing on the second line with Kesler.
They will give Terry a look if he signs, Kerdiles and Kossila.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

I don't get the logic here. It was just a few pages back that the discussion was how we couldn't afford to keep Silfvy, but now we can afford to take on a guy who makes more than what Silf would probably get? And thats before we even start to address the "who are we going to give the Hawks for him?" question. Because its not like they're going to just give him up. They traded off Panarin to get him, and we don't have anything near that value to offer up. We've already stripped all the defensive depth to the bone, and only have a few forward prospects worth anything. IMO Saad is good but not worth emptying the cupboard for.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
We are not getting anyone else next season we have too many people to resign and extend plus eaves coming back. If you think we will get a Saad or jvr or anything like that I wouldn't hold your breath

Reactions: Trojans86

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

If we don't think of the Kesler line as Ducks "second" line I think it's easier to put up with their lack of scoring. RC is going to always run a defense first matchup line. Cogs and Silf are not on that line because they are second line scorers. They are on there to shut down the opponents best offensive line. The Henrique line is Ducks' second scoring line now. The only way Ducks are going to run lines that are offensively based up and down the lineup is with a new coach.

I honestly can't see BM bringing in an expensive LW. With all the money tied up in Getz, Perry, and Kesler there just isn't room under the cap restrictions.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
We are not getting anyone else next season we have too many people to resign and extend plus eaves coming back. If you think we will get a Saad or jvr or anything like that I wouldn't hold your breath

Lulz peasant, of course I'm not holding my breath when the almighty John Tavares will magically appear regardless of yo cap consequences.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Next season
Rakell Getzlaf Eaves
Kase Henrique Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Ritchie Grant Terry/Kossila
Kerdiles

Fowler Manson
Lindholm Montour
Larsson/Pettersson/Megna/Beauchemin/Welinski

would be prime.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If you don't trade Silfverberg or Henrique this offseason, you are losing one of them for nothing next offseason. BM needs to get assets for Silfverberg.

I highly doubt Jakob is on this team in September

Also, Terry playing a 4th line role on a Carlyle team will be dumb, and Eaves being on the 1st line is a huge stretch

Reactions: duckpuck

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
If you don't trade Silfverberg or Henrique this offseason, you are losing one of them for nothing next offseason. BM needs to get assets for Silfverberg.

I highly doubt Jakob is on this team in September

Also, Terry playing a 4th line role on a Carlyle team will be dumb, and Eaves being on the 1st line is a huge stretch
He doesn't need to get assets for Silfverberg. Keeping Silf for a run at the cup next season is more important.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't get the logic here. It was just a few pages back that the discussion was how we couldn't afford to keep Silfvy, but now we can afford to take on a guy who makes more than what Silf would probably get? And thats before we even start to address the "who are we going to give the Hawks for him?" question. Because its not like they're going to just give him up. They traded off Panarin to get him, and we don't have anything near that value to offer up. We've already stripped all the defensive depth to the bone, and only have a few forward prospects worth anything. IMO Saad is good but not worth emptying the cupboard for.
I'm not so sure we can't afford to keep Silf. We have been spending a lot more these last few years, no one really knows where our Budget is. Ideally id want to turn an expirering asset into a longer term asset . I'm not so sure Silf gets much less than Saad if at all. With cap inflation comes contract inflation. As for what to give Chicago. I'd try to sell them on Silf as a basis under the impression of cap savings this coming year. Obviously we would have to add but BM needs to start making some decisions on some young players and consolidate them.

Someone mentioned considering the kesler line as just a shut down line and their lower scoring is less worrysome. To that I'd say if we are going to pay Kesler nearly 7 mill I'm going to want more than just stellar defensive play. I'd like to maximize his offensive capabilities as well.

Anyway, it was just a thought. I don't actually see it happening. Or expect it to.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He doesn't need to get assets for Silfverberg. Keeping Silf for a run at the cup next season is more important.
I don't really disagree on principle. But BM has shown in the past that he doesn't like losing valuable assets for free. He certainly could keep silf and let him walk. He let Perron walk and others before him. If moving Silf results in a roster upgrade though id be good with it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't really disagree on principle. But BM has shown in the past that he doesn't like losing valuable assets for free. He certainly could keep silf and let him walk. He let Perron walk and others before him. If moving Silf results in a roster upgrade though id be good with it.
Perron, Beleskey, Eaves, Perreault. He made offers to all but Perron but kept them all for the playoff runs.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Next season
Rakell Getzlaf Eaves
Kase Henrique Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Ritchie Grant Terry/Kossila
Kerdiles

Fowler Manson
Lindholm Montour
Larsson/Pettersson/Megna/Beauchemin/Welinski

would be prime.
I love the look of that. You think Kase can play on the left?

Alternatively, if Ritchie steps up his game quite a bit I could see us trading Silf for futures and rolling with

Rakell Getz Eaves
Cogs Kesler Kase
Ritchie Rico Perry
?? Grant ??

Maybe swap Eaves and Perry. I doubt they split up the d like that based off of what RC has done this year. I was actually a huge proponent of that top 4 pairing but I have also grown to like the
Lindholm Manson
Fowler Montour
I'd be happy with either.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Kase has played both sides in San Diego and a couple times in NHL and looked good.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I hope we never have a coach that would dress the softest lineup in the league like this
It's practically the same line up now, just swap out the useless Chimera/Kelly/Bieksa with guys who can actually keep up in the league and moving Ritchie down to the 4th line where he would be asked to do what you would want him to do. Seriously Dirk, get a grip already. You're beloved RC is practically icing that line up now.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I hope we never have a coach that would dress the softest lineup in the league like this
Honestly I wouldn't mind having tougher/dirtier players, but that is far from the softest lineup in the league. You have teams out there that don't have a single player willing to drop the gloves on any kind of regular basis. And that lineup has Ritchie, Manson, and Kesler in it. Not to mention the Twins will drop them a few times a year usually. There are at least 10-15 teams in the league that would fight and hit less than that lineup would I bet. That's more an indicator of how soft and skilled the league has become. You look at the leader board for fighting majors this year and it's crazy. Michael Haley with 21, McLeod and Tom Wilson with 13, then the next highest is 2 guys with 7 fights. There's just only a few guys dropping the gloves more than once every month these days.

That defense does look a bit soft though. I would love for Murray to get a physical top 4 D that can actually play hockey (not Roman Polak plz)

Last edited:
Reactions: Duck Off

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Look around, that line up is still in the top 10 toughest lines ups in the league based on size and how many will drop the gloves.

Regardless, I think Silf will be traded this summer and probably be replaced by a rookie of some sort who is on a lower salary. No other way to get some cap relief unless Eaves is out, which i have a feeling he might be a trade deadline casualty at some point. I have a feeling Grant has earned another contract as well and he will be a low cost 4th liner.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
I assume the D will be Larsson, Pettersson, Megna, Welinski fighting for two spots and BM signs a Physical Veteran to be a 7th defensemen. To be honest i would not put it past BM to trade one of those for some assets (maybe with Silf) for a young scorer on an ELC. When you have that many potential NHL players needing spots (and none exist), it is a waste to let them grow old in the AHL without getting some assets back.

I always say this, but I think BM will be active at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig