Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Steel is a center you gotta understand that. And I know our LW position needs to get better over Ritchie and Chimera, but Jones is knocking on the door on that spot as well. So where do we move Steel if he impresses at our next training camp? All three lines are locked on center
You know you can move a center to the wing right? As much as I would like Steel to play next year, he might not be ready for even 3rd line duties. A full year in San Diego could really help him. Especially since putting him on the 4th line with no-bodies that I'm sure Murray will grab isn't going to help him develop. Let's keep Jones in San Diego for a year, we don't need to rush his development like we have with Ritchie.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Steel is a center you gotta understand that. And I know our LW position needs to get better over Ritchie and Chimera, but Jones is knocking on the door on that spot as well. So where do we move Steel if he impresses at our next training camp? All three lines are locked on center
I do understand, hence why I talked about his wings. Unless he looks ready to contribute on a scoring line, over what we already have there, you move him to San Diego. It's really simple. You don't say, there's no room to play him on the roster where he belongs, so oh well I'll just throw him wherever there's room.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Lots of ifs and buts being thrown around in this thread. Guys like Steel, Terry, Jones, etc. first have to prove that they belong to the pro level. Just because some of them were "last cuts" at last year's camp, it doesn't mean that any one of them is pro ready, especially when we think about the fact that they preferred to play slugs like Boll and Rasmussen over any of the kids. :help:

If roster spots are up for grabs next year, you have to give the nod to the "older" San Diego guys, such as Roy, Kossila and Kerdiles, as they've already proven themselves on the AHL level. You add Grant into the mix and we have the makings of a serviceable 4th line right there, one that might actually be able to do something useful. There's no chance that any combination of the four guys would be worse than whatever Bob would "salvage" from the UFA market...

Absolutely no reason to pencil Steel into any lineups yet. Unless he's so amazing that he forces the coaching staff to play him in a top-6 role, I'd have him start in San Diego. Let him be the bonafide #1 guy there, it's not like he wouldn't develop in such a role.

Reactions: Getzmonster

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If push comes to shove, we can move Henrique to LW and slot Steel in at 3C.

It's much more likely that Steel ends up in SD this year though.

This is probably the answer. We're thin on LW and Devils fans have said Henrique is even better on left wing than at center.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Terry
Henrique-Steel-Kase
Ritchie-Grant-FA

Silfverberg moved for either a defenseman or future assets. You could tinker with those lines but that is the only way I see Steel and Terry both being here next year

But I agree with the post above, it wouldn't be bad at all for Steel to spend a year as the 1C in San Diego. Terry is a different animal because you might have to agree to have him on the roster to get him to sign

Reactions: Elf

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
You know you can move a center to the wing right? As much as I would like Steel to play next year, he might not be ready for even 3rd line duties. A full year in San Diego could really help him. Especially since putting him on the 4th line with no-bodies that I'm sure Murray will grab isn't going to help him develop. Let's keep Jones in San Diego for a year, we don't need to rush his development like we have with Ritchie.

Steel was one of the last cuts in last years training camp. Having him goto training camp this year and being cut again doesn’t make sense. Steel will most likely be a call up for the fourth line. Also Jones is LW and one of the last cuts last year as well. So we will see what’s going on with this debacle. And I know we can move pieces around. But Henrique is best suited as Center. You can ask any devils fan that question where he was most effective.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Would love to see steel up but it is a million times better for us if we develop him right. We could have a strong team in SD with the influx of skilled talent from our 15 and 16 drafts. I would much rather steel push his way onto the team in february than see him flounder playing 5 mins a night. I see it as critical to the ducks future to hit big on a center and another winger in the next 2-4 years and dont want to waste his potential.

About resigning silf. im no cap expert but I also dont want to ship silf out just from this season. last year we were singing his praise as a rival to kesler (who was a selke frontrunner and candidate for most of the year). I dont think the return we could get for silf would make it worth taking the risk that he doesnt go back to being a great 2nd line winger. I hope bob can find a way to keep everyone.

Also Welinski needs another shot. A real one this time!

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
This is probably the answer. We're thin on LW and Devils fans have said Henrique is even better on left wing than at center.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Terry
Henrique-Steel-Kase
Ritchie-Grant-FA

Silfverberg moved for either a defenseman or future assets. You could tinker with those lines but that is the only way I see Steel and Terry both being here next year

But I agree with the post above, it wouldn't be bad at all for Steel to spend a year as the 1C in San Diego. Terry is a different animal because you might have to agree to have him on the roster to get him to sign

I’ve heard the opposite. Henrique made his name in Jersey as a center. Maybe because Jersey was bad all these years and they had no center depth? Who knows

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think you may be right about Silf getting moved if Eaves is healthy. If Murray kept both that likely bumps Kase to the 4th line, and re-signing Kase will probably cost too much to justify him slotting in on the 4th line.

I do think Grant gets a new deal though. I see no reason why Murray wouldn't commit to Grant around what he was committing to Vermette this season (1.75 mil) and if that figure is for 2 or 3 years I doubt Grant turns it down.

I think the problem is money wise is it really worth keeping Silfverberg? Grant is a different story because he prob wont cost a whole lot, at the same time if he asks for a lot I'm sure we have no issues letting kossila/kerdelis take it.

We will have guys like Terry, Steel, Jones, Kossila, kerdelis, fiore etc that are basically ready or close to ready and will be at camp trying to take those spots away.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Steel is a lot better than Ritchie, Chimera, Grant. I’ll say that much. Steel is ready to go. If the fans on these boards want to move Steel to Wing we can move him into Ritchie’s spot with Henrique which would be a scoring line with Kase. Ritchie goes to fourth line role and replaces Chimera as we let em walk because he’s UFA. Boom saved over 2 million on our LW issues.

Last edited:

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Steel is a lot better than Ritchie, Chimera, Grant. I’ll say that much. Steel is ready to go. If the fans on these boards want to move Steel to Wing we can move him into Ritchie’s spot with Henrique which would be a scoring line with Kase. Ritchie goes to fourth line role and replaces Chimera as we let em walk because he’s UFA. Boom saved over 2 million on our LW issues.
No, Steel is not better than Ritchie right now. Until Steel can preform in the NHL, he’s not better. His time in the preseason showed he wasn’t ready at all for the NHL. Also your dislike of Grant is unwarranted, but that’s just my opinion, he’s a fantastic 4th liner who can be help take on bigger roles when needed. And moving Ritchie to the 4th line completely ruins him and keeps him from developing. RC will ask him to be some grinder because he has no players to really work off of. Not to mention getting littl ice time someone his age needs to develop. If we’re replacing him on the third line, Ritchie either needs to move up or be traded. Rather get a decent return for him than let him rot on the 4th line doing less than he’s already doing.

Reactions: Deuce22

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think you may be right about Silf getting moved if Eaves is healthy. If Murray kept both that likely bumps Kase to the 4th line, and re-signing Kase will probably cost too much to justify him slotting in on the 4th line.

I do think Grant gets a new deal though. I see no reason why Murray wouldn't commit to Grant around what he was committing to Vermette this season (1.75 mil) and if that figure is for 2 or 3 years I doubt Grant turns it down.
We shouldn’t move Silf just because Eaves is healthy. We still don’t know if Eaves can repeat his career season, let alone be a quality NHLer after this whole season. That would be completely short-sighted.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
We shouldn’t move Silf just because Eaves is healthy. We still don’t know if Eaves can repeat his career season, let alone be a quality NHLer after this whole season. That would be completely short-sighted.

I don't want to get rid of either, but I don't see how we keep both and fill out the roster without cap issues unless Montour, Ritchie, and Kase are getting signed for significantly lower than I'm expecting.

Reactions: Getz2perry

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
No, Steel is not better than Ritchie right now. Until Steel can preform in the NHL, he’s not better. His time in the preseason showed he wasn’t ready at all for the NHL. Also your dislike of Grant is unwarranted, but that’s just my opinion, he’s a fantastic 4th liner who can be help take on bigger roles when needed. And moving Ritchie to the 4th line completely ruins him and keeps him from developing. RC will ask him to be some grinder because he has no players to really work off of. Not to mention getting littl ice time someone his age needs to develop. If we’re replacing him on the third line, Ritchie either needs to move up or be traded. Rather get a decent return for him than let him rot on the 4th line doing less than he’s already doing.

Who’s gonna trade for a 7 goal player with a total of 24 pts in 66 games? Ritchie’s value is at an all time low. That value is about a 4th round pick or even later.

No one remembers when this team had four lines of being deadly on the ice? I do and both the third and fourth need to be upgraded. We won a cup because of Rob Niedermayer and Travis Moen that’s how talented this club was at one point. We need to get back to that style of team while we have coach RC. That starts with bringing Steel onto the roster IMO who can make plays.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Who’s gonna trade for a 7 goal player with a total of 24 pts in 66 games? Ritchie’s value is at an all time low. That value is about a 4th round pick or even later.

No one remembers when this team had four lines of being deadly on the ice? I do and both the third and fourth need to be upgraded. We won a cup because of Rob Niedermayer and Travis Moen that’s how talented this club was at one point. We need to get back to that style of team while we have coach RC. That starts with bringing Steel onto the roster IMO who can make plays.

I don't mind bringing steel in if he earns it, but it shouldn't be as a 4c. Assuming he impresses at camp and eaves is back maybe something like,

Henrique Getzlaf Eaves
Rakell Steel Perry
Cogs Kesler Silf
Ritchie (Grant/Kossila) Kase

I think if we bring steel up he needs to be given the tools to be successful.... Getz has chemistry with Eaves and I think Henrique would be a good fit for his LW... Rakell Steel Perry gives us a very strong 2nd line, our 3rd line becomes more of our matchup/shutdown line and hopefully they can find a scoring touch next season that they lacked this year. 4th line, the energy line... but also a threat to score, and can eat up mins if the other lines arnt going that night.

Defense I'm hoping to see something like
Fowler Montour
Lindholm Manson
Larsson/Pettersson Welinski

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't want to get rid of either, but I don't see how we keep both and fill out the roster without cap issues unless Montour, Ritchie, and Kase are getting signed for significantly lower than I'm expecting.
I get we'll have cap issues, my point is why are we moving someone who has been a very good player for us, one of our best playoff players who is still signed through another year; just to keep a 33 year old player who had a crazy good career year at 32 who is also just coming back from a bad illness that kept him out this season who we don't even know can still be an effective player in the NHL? We move Silf, and find out Eaves isn't another 30 goal scorer and possibly isn't a good NHLer anymore, then our best RW is what, Kase? That Eaves contract was dumb when we signed it, still dumb today.

Reactions: Spazkat

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry will be more nhl ready than steel

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I get we'll have cap issues, my point is why are we moving someone who has been a very good player for us, one of our best playoff players who is still signed through another year; just to keep a 33 year old player who had a crazy good career year at 32 who is also just coming back from a bad illness that kept him out this season who we don't even know can still be an effective player in the NHL? We move Silf, and find out Eaves isn't another 30 goal scorer and possibly isn't a good NHLer anymore, then our best RW is what, Kase? That Eaves contract was dumb when we signed it, still dumb today.

Yeah i'm not saying we should move Silf so we can keep Eaves. I'd much rather keep Silf, it's just that he is the only player we have that we could pretty easily move to get cap relief aside from Henrique, and I doubt Murray moves a center over a wing. Who knows if Eaves will even be able to play next year, but if he does return and can still handle NHL minutes, we are obligated to find a spot for him. The only way I can see us keeping both and having the money to resign our RFAs and still fill out the rest of the roster spots is if the cap goes up 5 million like it is rumored to and the Samuelis are good to spend all of that next season. I'd like to keep everybody and see what a full healthy season would look like, while filtering in a few of our young prospects into depth roles along the way. I just am doubtful that we'll go that route due to cap constraints. I agree the Eaves contract looks bad if he can't return to form. It's a lot of money committed to a big question mark right now and will probably have cap implications for us for the foreseeable future until it's decided whether he can play anymore or not, and what level he can play at if he can.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd much rather see us have a top line in San Diego of Jones - Steel - Terry and bring them all along together. No need to rush any of these guys when we have a chance to give them half a season or a whole season playing big minutes together in the AHL level.
Itll have a lot to do with how they look at camp and what the teams needs are... im fine either way personally that original scenario was based on steel having a good camp and earning a spot... but no one should be handed a spot like ritchie... if they are on the team it should be because they earnes it

Reactions: Elf

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Think some are underestimating Silf's ability on the PK and as a shutdown wing. Yes, he's struggled to score but much of that can be attributed to Kesler's issues. Just filling lines with guys that we think will score the most ignores a big part of the game. Keeping the other team from scoring. That is where Silf has value.

As for Steel, if we've learned anything about RC, it's that he's not going to build a 4th line around young skill players. We'll never be a team with four scoring lines unless we change coaches.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Think some are underestimating Silf's ability on the PK and as a shutdown wing. Yes, he's struggled to score but much of that can be attributed to Kesler's issues. Just filling lines with guys that we think will score the most ignores a big part of the game. Keeping the other team from scoring. That is where Silf has value.

As for Steel, if we've learned anything about RC, it's that he's not going to build a 4th line around young skill players. We'll never be a team with four scoring lines unless we change coaches.

How many teams actually have 4 lines that are good enough offensively to say they have 4 scoring lines?

Steel should either play a little more in the AHL instead of playing on the 4th line getting typical 4th line mins that 4th liners have around the NHL.

Note: This season the Ducks have 14 forwards with 20 games or more played averaging 11+ min TOI per game.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
How many teams actually have 4 lines that are good enough offensively to say they have 4 scoring lines?

Steel should either play a little more in the AHL instead of playing on the 4th line getting typical 4th line mins that 4th liners have around the NHL.
Exactly why a new coach that's willing to roll four lines would be so lovely. The 4th line being the 5-minute grinder line is an increasingly archaic concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad