Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It justs that Fabbri is out for the season, with Schenn not looking amazing the 2nd preseason game at C, this might open up a top 6 C position for Barbie tho. I really hope Fabbri can come in next season and blow us away and be as good or better than before.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Is it likely that Fabbri can recover from two serious injuries to the same knee, both occurring in the same year?

I admit to having no medical knowledge, but this second injury seems to be career-ending. I hope I am wrong.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He's young enough to recover. One of the best players on the US women's national soccer team has had multiple ACL replacement surgeries and she's still great. Did we get confirmation that he tore it again?

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
On another injury subject, I read that Sanford had his shoulder surgery on Tuesday of this week. He is expected to be out 5-6 months. If the recovery is closer to six months, then he will miss the entire regular season.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Leafs fan, coming in peace. My condolences with regards to Robby Fabbri. I've been a huge fan of his ever since I watched him play for Team Canada at the WJC. Plus, have to support the local Toronto kids. Hopefully this won't affect his long term career, as he looks like a future star in the making.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
He's young enough to recover. One of the best players on the US women's national soccer team has had multiple ACL replacement surgeries and she's still great. Did we get confirmation that he tore it again?

I haven’t seen anywhere that he re-tore it. I’ve only seen it classified as “re-injured.” What that means, I have no idea.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I haven’t seen anywhere that he re-tore it. I’ve only seen it classified as “re-injured.” What that means, I have no idea.
Scotty Upshall said it was the likely case in a tweet from JR.

So, I have to ask. Why the presser with both Army and Fabbri unless this is more serious then we think(which is hard to imagine)

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Man, Booby Miles vibes with this injury. The things that made Fabbri dangerous and effective are the things that a second serious knee injury is going to seriously hamper. I wonder if Fabbs doctor is from Midland...

Just feel awful for Robby. Not ready to count him out of our plans, not ready to put the time of death on his career but... you really can't help but wonder. Who's the last player to have missed an entire season to injury that came back and was as effective (not to mention more so) than before? DP57 but that was a concussion. Schwartz broke his ankle a few years back and was out for *most* of the season. Idk, I'm drawing a blank here. Forsberg maybe?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Steen is skating this morning. Small miracles.

Edit- just remembered his hand was the issue, Bouwmeester has the foot injury.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Apparently there was a 3% chance that Fabbri's injury would reoccur and of course that's what happens.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Watching the press conference and Fabbri’s reaction is heart breaking. He looked devastated and rightfully so.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
On another injury subject, I read that Sanford had his shoulder surgery on Tuesday of this week. He is expected to be out 5-6 months. If the recovery is closer to six months, then he will miss the entire regular season.

During the presser Army just had, he mentioned that we lost two players for the season. I guess Sandford is the second, sounds like they're at least planning for the worst.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Talk about a kick in the nuts. I was just reading through the news this morning eagerly awaiting the start of the new season when I see Robby Fabbri out for the season. Really gutted, not just hopes for this season but for Fab's. This has got to be real hard for him, being days away from his return to the team and the new season. I just hope he can return next year the same player, with injuring the same knee like this, there has got to be a decent chance he might not be the player he was and could've become. Huge blow, he's one of my favorite players on the team, lets go blues....:pout:

P.S. Don't really care for this new layout/forum style at all, so our gif avs/playoff avs don't work anymore :huh:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
so, man-games lost for '17-'18:
Fabbri - 82
Sanford - 82 (likely)
Steen - TBD
Berglund - TBD
Bouwmeester - TBD

leading the league in something! wire-to-wire is a real possibility.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Based on the presser he may have injured it in practice, it swelled up after that and that is why he was pulled from the first game he was expected to play in. The swelling got better and he didn't feel any pain (partially no doubt because the transplanted tissue had no active pain receptors) and he was allowed to play in the game that he did. After that swelling got much worse and here we are. Apparently the chance of reinjury is only 3% on these types of things and unfortunately he hit that small chance.

KilmKostin

Sep 28, 2017
so, man-games lost for '17-'18:
Fabbri - 82
Sanford - 82 (likely)
Steen - TBD
Berglund - TBD
Bouwmeester - TBD

leading the league in something! wire-to-wire is a real possibility.

Armstrong mentioned that December wasn't 100% the return date for Berglund.

25 games missed if he comes back December 1st, mid 40s if it's the new year.
:wally::surrender

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Based on the presser he may have injured it in practice, it swelled up after that and that is why he was pulled from the first game he was expected to play in. The swelling got better and he didn't feel any pain (partially no doubt because the transplanted tissue had no active pain receptors) and he was allowed to play in the game that he did. After that swelling got much worse and here we are. Apparently the chance of reinjury is only 3% on these types of things and unfortunately he hit that small chance.

f*** me.

What a kick to the nuts. Saw the news yesterday and my heart sank. Watching the press conference right now and it sounds like the same doctor who did the first surgery is also doing the second...I guess it makes sense because the guy would know Fabbri better than anyone else, but still...I would probably want to see another doctor if it was my knee.

Also, hate to say it, but my second thought upon hearing this news was about our 2018 1st...f***

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I was surprised to see Fabbri so soon in training camp, I think they rushed his recovery a bit, I don't remember the projections for his return but I thought it was around November. Sad to see him out for the season.

If we did sign Jagr, he's definitely not the same player he was but it would be like bringing in a player-coach almost for our young guys as I'm sure they can learn a lot from his experience, (Florida's young players did). Admittedly I'd approve of that move solely so I can buy a Blues Jagr jersey.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
All we can do is see what we have in a year. We have no idea what the interior of his knee is like and what the surrounding muscles are capable of. That is what is going to dictate his future prognosis.

The positive is that ACL injuries often aren't career defining injuries in the NHL, like they are in certain positions in the other major sports.

**** me.

What a kick to the nuts. Saw the news yesterday and my heart sank. Watching the press conference right now and it sounds like the same doctor who did the first surgery is also doing the second...I guess it makes sense because the guy would know Fabbri better than anyone else, but still...I would probably want to see another doctor if it was my knee.

Also, hate to say it, but my second thought upon hearing this news was about our 2018 1st...****

Since Richard Steadman retired a few years ago, you aren't going to find many knee surgeons better than Bernard Bach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad