Injury Report: 2017/18 Puck off the Foot Report (Upshall out indefinitely)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think its stupid coming back before 10-12 months. Why risk what happed to Fabbri? One of the best surgeons in the area (does Blues players too) did my daughter (D1 soccer) and he said the key date is 10 months. He’s known as the best actually. He’s Wash U’s top surgeon
Dude not to be rude but you argue this literally every single time.

These are professional doctors. And these are professional sports teams that have seen these same injuries happen.

They know what they’re doing.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dude not to be rude but you argue this literally every single time.

These are professional doctors. And these are professional sports teams that have seen these same injuries happen.

They know what they’re doing.

I get it, but why risk it? Why not wait an extra 2 months? He’s the best in the business and he said 10 months is the key date. Said the stats go WAY down for re-tear then. It pisses me off what happened to Fabbri.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I get it, but why risk it? Why not wait an extra 2 months? He’s the best in the business and he said 10 months is the key date. Said the stats go WAY down for re-tear then. It pisses me off what happened to Fabbri.
What the surgeon is telling you is different advice for a different situation. Professional athletes have the expectation of top class care every step of their recovery. They are going to have a regimented rehab regime, that's their life until healthy. It's going to become more intensive at a quicker pace. They are going to have team doctors overlooking every step of their recovery and they are going to be getting multiple scans for them to constantly review. They can be matter of fact over when they expect the knee to heal.

For those of us without that level of support? Assume the higher end of the recovery timeline, assume that the rehab won't be followed religiously and encourage patience to prevent stressing it before it has fully healed.

Would waiting 2 months have prevented Fabbri from re-injuring his knee? There isn't any evidence to suggest that, the scans were good and he had rehabbed properly.

The only complaint about Fabbri goes back to our team doctors. If a player who recently had knee surgery comes complaining about swelling in that knee? Maybe do something instead of ignoring it because it went away overnight.

Reactions: Mike Liut

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think its stupid coming back before 10-12 months. Why risk what happed to Fabbri? One of the best surgeons in the area (does Blues players too) did my daughter (D1 soccer) and he said the key date is 10 months. He’s known as the best actually. He’s Wash U’s top surgeon
HERE is a post on Dr. Rick Wright's blog, who I assume you are referring to since he's the head surgeon for the Blues, that states "Most patients are able to return to play following ACL reconstruction approximately 6 months postoperatively."

The post was not sport-specific, but that's in line with evidence based research papers that I have read on ACL reconstruction recovery timelines for hockey players.

I can't explain the difference between what he told you and what he's saying there. All I can say, with confidence, is that 6 months is the normal expectation for NHL players recovering from ACL surgery, and that the outcomes for such returns are generally very, very good.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
HERE is a post on Dr. Rick Wright's blog, who I assume you are referring to since he's the head surgeon for the Blues, that states "Most patients are able to return to play following ACL reconstruction approximately 6 months postoperatively."

The post was not sport-specific, but that's in line with evidence based research papers that I have read on ACL reconstruction recovery timelines for hockey players.

I can't explain the difference between what he told you and what he's saying there. All I can say, with confidence, is that 6 months is the normal expectation for NHL players recovering from ACL surgery, and that the outcomes for such returns are generally very, very good.

Maybe women’s college soccer has a different timetable. He doesn’t release any players until 10 months.

BergMan

Mar 31, 2009
Brooklyn
So it’s worth noting that women are more likely to injure their ACL. when landing from a jump they are buomechanically predisposed for their knees to enter valgus rotation (fancy way of saying knees twisting in) which strains the ACL. this may give them a 10 month timeline. Everything I’ve read and heard in lectures is that 6 months is expected recover for an ACL with proper rehab. I think I looked up the surgon fabbti had and he was no joke, ortho residency at HSS and is a department head for knee surgery at Midwest orthopedics.

What happened to fabbri is terrible luck. There’s a lot of talk about recovery times but in all honesty we don’t even know if this new injury would have still happend even if he had no previous injury to his ACL.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So I heard it mentioned during the Columbus broadcast that Soshnikov is injured again? I was ok with the trade for him if he panned out but man that kid is going down quicker with injuries than Coliacovo.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Has anybody heard anything about Fabbri lately? Its been about 6 months since his surgery. That’s about the timetable they release players to start playing according to the reports we were reading.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Has anybody heard anything about Fabbri lately? Its been about 6 months since his surgery. That’s about the timetable they release players to start playing according to the reports we were reading.
He is rehabbing in St. Louis. It's just shy of 5 months since his surgery.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, he did a good job for us on that 4th line. But this offseason it will be time to move on and replace him with younger players.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I like the idea of a Jaskin-Barbashev-Soshnikov 4th line next year.

If we can bring Brodziak back, then Jaskin becomes the 13th forward and Barbashev moves to LW.

Upshall was pretty useful during his time here. Really sucks he got injured in a time where we could probably benefit from his energetic style to help propel us into the playoffs. Hopefully Soshnikov can fill in his role.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

If we can bring Brodziak back, then Jaskin becomes the 13th forward and Barbashev moves to LW.

Upshall was pretty useful during his time here. Really sucks he got injured in a time where we could probably benefit from his energetic style to help propel us into the playoffs. Hopefully Soshnikov can fill in his role.
Unfortunately Soshnikov strikes me as a guy that will never be able to stay healthy.

However, a Barbashev-Brodziak-Jaskin 4th line is pretty damn good. We should be in good shape if that's what we're rolling.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Unfortunately Soshnikov strikes me as a guy that will never be able to stay healthy.

However, a Barbashev-Brodziak-Jaskin 4th line is pretty damn good. We should be in good shape if that's what we're rolling.
His play style is the reason he can't stay healthy. Sosh would need to bulk up while keeping his foot speed in tact. Not an easy task.

I do agree that a mix of the four (Sosh, Barbs, Jaskin, Brodz) is a very strong 4th line with some very versatile players.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I expect us to bring back Brodziak, and then Reaves in UFA.

Run Soshnikov-Barbashev-Brodziak with Reaves and Jaskin as our scratches when fully healthy. With that said, Sundqvist, Sanford, Blais, Kostin, one of Thompson/Kyrou, Foley, and Stevens will be starting in San Antonio in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad