Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So the tandem next year will be Martin/Werner... guess we will see what he is made of.

Scratch that... seems he will stay in Sweden for a year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yep. 5'11.25 at the combine. He was only 18 then as well, I definitely think he's grown roughly an inch or so since then.

Pictures are hard to judge because of the angles they're taken, stances of players, etc. But there's that picture of him and Fabbro standing next to each other at the WJC where they look basically the same height and I believe Fabbro measured in at 6'0.5 at his combine.

The NHL always seems to add 1-2 inches to a players height as well once they make the league :laugh: I think he'll end up being listed as either 6'0, or 6'1.

I'll throw this out here... I was chatting with a buddy who is an NCAA assistant coach and he offered this on Makar's height. Chau is on the left and 5'9" and Foo is on the right and is 6'1".

FTR this coach believes Makar is NHL ready.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I'll throw this out here... I was chatting with a buddy who is an NCAA assistant coach and he offered this on Makar's height. Chau is on the left and 5'9" and Foo is on the right and is 6'1".

Time to play “Who’s in Skates Anyways?”

Reactions: UncleRisto

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

From left to right.. flip flops, tennis shoes, and work boots.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Obviously Chau is in skates, Makar is barefoot, and Foo is on stilts.

Best quote of the conversation "The kid is Ghost on steroids"

go-on-gif-8.gif

Reactions: cgf

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Is there a way that the Werner ELC is a move to try to force him into the SHL from the Allsvenkan? Like there was some kind of way that could get him into a higher level league in preparation for putting him in the AHL? I'm just trying to figure out what the end goal is for the ELC if the plan is to put him in the SHL on loan.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is there a way that the Werner ELC is a move to try to force him into the SHL from the Allsvenkan? Like there was some kind of way that could get him into a higher level league in preparation for putting him in the AHL? I'm just trying to figure out what the end goal is for the ELC if the plan is to put him in the SHL on loan.
It's possible that he has more control over it because the Avs would be loaning him. I'm not sure why the Avs would burn a contract year to do it but I guess they could call him back to NA if they want/need him to.

Also keep in mind, contracts only slide if the player is 18 or 19. It's an underage thing, not a not in the league thing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's possible that he has more control over it because the Avs would be loaning him. I'm not sure why the Avs would burn a contract year to do it but I guess they could call him back to NA if they want/need him to.

Also keep in mind, contracts only slide if the player is 18 or 19. It's an underage thing, not a not in the league thing.
Yeah, it can't slide. I'm just a little confused, and the SHL angle was my only thought as to why they would burn a year of an ELC if the plan was to have him outside North America.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Werner is currently under contract for Färjestad(SHL) but is loaned to Björklöven(Allsvenskan) so he expects to go to Färjestad as they have expiring goalie contracts there. He said in the article: "Let's see what Färjestad thinks and what Colorado thinks". There is a chance Colorado wants him in NA I suppose.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So a ELC signed and then loaned back to the SHL?

That's what I'm hoping for if indeed he is signed this year. Give him another year to prepare for the AHL and he doesn't have to do so in the ECHL while being rewarded for upping his game this year. Still gives the Avs flexibility in the AHL as well. Can go with Martin/NCAA UFA or traded prospect next year then if Martin still hasn't figured it out you can let him go and you still have a goalie with AHL experience along with Werner.

The New York Islanders are currently doing this with Linus Soderstrom.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
A post from "MaMiNe" on the prospects board:

It looks like Makar is thinking about whether to join the Avalanche at the beginning of next season. According to a report in the Province newspaper Sakic spoke to Cale and his dad and it will be up to Cale to decide what he wants to do, but Joe Sakic feels he will be ready.

Has anyone read this article? Can anyone possibly provide a link? I have not been able to locate it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Has anyone read this article? Can anyone possibly provide a link? I have not been able to locate it.

While GM Joe Sakic said he reached out to defenceman Cale Makar after his season ended with University of Massachusetts-Amherst, the earliest he expects the fourth-overall pick in 2017 to be in the NHL would be next season.

That is, unless the 19-year-old decides to return for a sophomore year of college.

“I’ve had conversations with Cale and his dad and now we’ll wait to see what happens,” Sakic said of Makar, who turned down an invitation to represent Canada at the Olympics after winning gold at the world juniors.

“There’s no rush. Not for this year. He’s a guy that can wait to come up. He’s going to decide if he feels he’s ready or not. I believe he’s ready to come up, but he’s got to make the decision that he feels is best for him and his development.”

Move over, Vegas: Panthers making late-season case for NHL story of year

Reactions: Goulet17

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Pronman's mailbag at the Athletic mentioned that EV had very nice things to say about Meloche. He didn't think too highly of our prospect pool as a whole, particularly at forward, and it didn't sound like he had personally watched him, but nice to hear that the coach is heaping praise on Nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille