Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Morrison is making a name for himself as a big game, clutch player.

Hopefully he pans out as an NHLer, nice to have some clutch scoring in the middle six.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Morrison is making a name for himself as a big game, clutch player.

Hopefully he pans out as an NHLer, nice to have some clutch scoring in the middle six.

I don’t have the expertise to properly evaluate his game, or Jackson’s system, but from what I’ve seen the latter’s offensive approach doesn’t lend itself to eye popping numbers, & is heavily reliant on upperclassmen to carry the scoring. As for the former, his play’s not sexy, but he has a nice physical two way defensive presence, & is a fixture in front of the net.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I don’t have the expertise to properly evaluate his game, or Jackson’s system, but from what I’ve seen the latter’s offensive approach doesn’t lend itself to eye popping numbers, & is heavily reliant on upperclassmen to carry the scoring. As for the former, his play’s not sexy, but he has a nice physical two way defensive presence, & is a fixture in front of the net.

He does have things he needs to work on still, and my expectations for him are low, but if he tops out as a Colin Wilson type with more jam and the occasional important goal in a big game, I'll be thrilled.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Morrison has always had these strengths, I was really hoping he would work on some of those raw aspects of his game this year. Maybe as a junior next year he'll get more PT with a new class of freshies behind him, but regardless I think we should push to sign him after next year and plug him into the AHL for further seasoning, like Compher.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Morrison has always had these strengths, I was really hoping he would work on some of those raw aspects of his game this year. Maybe as a junior next year he'll get more PT with a new class of freshies behind him, but regardless I think we should push to sign him after next year and plug him into the AHL for further seasoning, like Compher.

That’s why, again, totally clueless inexpert opinion as an evaluator, solely based on being a ND fan, if his offense is going to take a big leap while there, it’ll be as an upperclassmen. He shows flashes, his wrister is much improved, and he has a nose for the puck.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That’s why, again, totally clueless inexpert opinion as an evaluator, solely based on being a ND fan, if his offense is going to take a big leap while there, it’ll be as an upperclassmen. He shows flashes, his wrister is much improved, and he has a nose for the puck.
I do like that he has some of that in-tight IQ that guys like JVR have around the net (though not to the same degree, obviously). It'll serve him well as an NHL player if/when he makes it there. It's also a valid point that freshmen and juniors tend to get pushed down the lineup in the NCAA in general, and at big teams like ND in particular. It makes what Bowers is doing this year all the more impressive.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Bowers just tied the game against Cornell by getting in front of the net!

PS. If anybody's interested there are a couple of really cute kittens running around our neighbours backyard :D

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Morrison is an interesting case because his season wasn't productive as much as we would have liked as Aves fans. However, he did get a boost up from the third line he was on last year to the first line this year. I am not entirely sure if he was on the first line all season long, but the games I watched he was majority of the time on the first line. It would make absolutely perfect sense getting promoted would have some decrease in offencive output for a sophomore, considering you got softer minutes last year and now are facing either the team's best line or the team's best shutdown line along with their best defencive pairing this season.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
David Farrance just put BU up 2-1 in the 3rd. Might see some more Bowers-hockey after tonight.

On a completely unrelated note, David Farrance is a defenseman who was picked in the 4th round by the Preds :rolleyes:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
More Bowers hockey confirmed. BU won 3-1. Will play the winner of Michigan-Northeastern tomorrow at 4ET.

Didn't really notice Bowers too much except the goal. Then again, I'm a dude and have been trying to multitask. Hopeless, I know.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Morrison is an interesting case because his season wasn't productive as much as we would have liked as Aves fans. However, he did get a boost up from the third line he was on last year to the first line this year. I am not entirely sure if he was on the first line all season long, but the games I watched he was majority of the time on the first line. It would make absolutely perfect sense getting promoted would have some decrease in offencive output for a sophomore, considering you got softer minutes last year and now are facing either the team's best line or the team's best shutdown line along with their best defencive pairing this season.

Game I saw against Wisconsin he played 1st line minutes mainly parked in front of the goalie. Good in tight w/ the puck and against the boards but general puck handling skills were below average relative to the skill level on the ice and disappointing given he was a second round pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly, I hope they talk to him, and let him stay there for another year at least. Let him continue to build on a good year and hopefully dominate next year.

I think that depends on what another season at BU would look like for Bowers. Would he get the opportunity to build on this season offensively or would he have a heavier defensive burden placed on his shoulders with tougher minutes & lesser linemates? While it would be great to see him dominate offensively with the latter conditions, but that’s not the most likely. So maybe trying to sign him to center a scoring line for the Eagles is the better next step

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think that depends on what another season at BU would look like for Bowers. Would he get the opportunity to build on this season offensively or would he have a heavier defensive burden placed on his shoulders with tougher minutes & lesser linemates? While it would be great to see him dominate offensively with the latter conditions, but that’s not the most likely. So maybe trying to sign him to center a scoring line for the Eagles is the better next step

If that happened, the Eagles could end up with a pretty good team next year. Especially if one or both of Maker and Timmins are there.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
There isn't a bigger Shane Bowers fan on here than me. In saying that, I hope he spends another year and maybe even two years at BU.

Another year at BU would be fine. If he's gone back for his Junior season something most likely has gone wrong, either he's not interested in joining the Avs or regressed to a point where the Avs don't want him. He should be on an ELC no later than when his 2018/19 season ends.

Reactions: Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad