Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I REALLY hope we sign Barron, has all the traits you want for being a rough yet capable bottom 6 player. I like him because he knows what will get him to the NHL, but he definitely isn't the most talented bottom 6 prospect if you compare to other teams' (so maybe Avs pass?).

I still believe that Brady is more talented of the two brothers; his puck skills and stickhandling blow Matthew's out of the water. Nonetheless, as I mentioned Matthew is much more flexible, mobile, and roving (looking for trouble) type of player. Because of that, Matt's game better resemblances what you want in the NHL than Brady's currently. Brady is more about staying on his flank, getting the puck low, and starting to grind it out. Brady, with some improved skating should become the better 1v1 player once he gets his straight line speed faster and more powerful.

His skating didn't look too bad at the WJC because there is a capped level of talent due to the restrictions of the age group. Watching him in Hockey East though, especially against Bowers, he is a level or two behind. It could be one of the reasons why people think Tkachuk is unimpressive when it comes to the 2018 draft. He can't really play the game he wants while not being able to get around older more developed NCAA defenders.

That's the type of prospect I like if there's not a surefire bet. Very talented, but one element to their game that they need to work on. The only time that doesn't work is if that element to their game is they have bad character/work ethic or terrible hockey IQ.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I REALLY hope we sign Barron, has all the traits you want for being a rough yet capable bottom 6 player. I like him because he knows what will get him to the NHL, but he definitely isn't the most talented bottom 6 prospect if you compare to other teams' (so maybe Avs pass?).

I still believe that Brady is more talented of the two brothers; his puck skills and stickhandling blow Matthew's out of the water. Nonetheless, as I mentioned Matthew is much more flexible, mobile, and roving (looking for trouble) type of player. Because of that, Matt's game better resemblances what you want in the NHL than Brady's currently. Brady is more about staying on his flank, getting the puck low, and starting to grind it out. Brady, with some improved skating should become the better 1v1 player once he gets his straight line speed faster and more powerful.

His skating didn't look too bad at the WJC because there is a capped level of talent due to the restrictions of the age group. Watching him in Hockey East though, especially against Bowers, he is a level or two behind. It could be one of the reasons why people think Tkachuk is unimpressive when it comes to the 2018 draft. He can't really play the game he wants while not being able to get around older more developed NCAA defenders.

I haven’t seen him outside the WJC at all so that makes sense as to why I keep hearing his skating as a knock against him.

As I never really noticed it would you say it’s more of a power/explosiveness problem over technique? Either way probably fixable?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Are we expecting Barron to be signed? How close are we to 50 contracts at the moment?

Would love to get Tkachuk. Way rather have him here than end up somewhere else in the West. He’s personally my pipe dream for the Sens’ pick - one of the few players that really stood out to me at the WJC this year.
Avs have plenty of contract room and Barron without a doubt should be signed. At the very least you'r getting a quality pro and great locker room guy but if the Avs actually give him an opportunity he could be a modern Mcleod.

Reactions: McMetal

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Alright...

Been watching practically the entire Hockey East tourney and got some reports. First off, let me say that in regards to Bowers and Tkachuk comparisons and all that jazz, Brady is definitely a level higher than Shane. If I was going to compare the two personally, Tkachuk has more individual talent while Bowers has strengths mostly geared towards the team. Ultimately, individual talent is more relevant and no doubt in my mind Tkachuk will be the better player in the future. I suggest that when it comes to numbers being relatively close, Bowers get much softer minutes being played on BU's 3rd line while Brady is on the first line with Jordan Greenway and I believe Cloonan. I am not trying to make Bowers look negative here, just trying to be a realistic, so next year will be a more telling season for Shane in how much potential he has with more important minutes.

Tkachuk is a complete tank and in terms of throwball, he is built like a TE. Being just 18 years old is quite remarkable how tough and strong he already is. I doubt we get Tkachuk due to how brutal Senators are, but if they finish around 6th or 7th, picturing a line of Greer - Tkachuk - Morrison would be bullshark-testosterone-drool-worthy. Brady does suffer from some bad skating though, definitely cannot showcase his skill set while trying to smash his way through defenders on the forecheck (Matthew is much more mobile of a player and is more of a havoc because of that).

Bowers on the other hand is a very powerful skater and will absolutely fit into Avs style. Additionally, Shane is an EXTREMELY determined player and wants to do as much as possible to contribute in teamwork. He's that type of guy who works so hard that it rubs off on other players, as those guys do not want to look less lazy than he does. He also possesses a good range of IQ always making smart plays' with the puck, but his other offencive tools are still a work in progress. His defencive game is as good as advertised and should become the second best two-way forward on the Avs after Landeskog if he keeps developing. I mentioned in the past that he reminds me of Backlund and still think that, but for the people who love Ryan O'Reilly, he is a very similar player. I do believe there will be a limit on his offencive capacity, but getting a 3rd line ROR is definitely a solid player.
I watched the third period tonight and the second half last night and agree Bowers looked OK but the Greenway line did the heavy lifting. Bowers should stay in college next year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's the type of prospect I like if there's not a surefire bet. Very talented, but one element to their game that they need to work on. The only time that doesn't work is if that element to their game is they have bad character/work ethic or terrible hockey IQ.
With the Tkachuk bros' I don't think you get a lot of hockey IQ. That isn't to say they're dumb, but with either Tkachuk you're getting the WHOLE package instead of intelligence. The "in your face, hard to hit, hard to move, goes straight to the net, makes some havoc, can score, and dish the puck" overall deal you find at Costco. For what it's worth, Matthew is more of the punk while Brady plays more of a skilled game.

I haven’t seen him outside the WJC at all so that makes sense as to why I keep hearing his skating as a knock against him.

As I never really noticed it would you say it’s more of a power/explosiveness problem over technique? Either way probably fixable?
Definitely fixable as it is an explosive problem in straight line speed, his lateral movement isn't too bad considering his size/style of game. I don't think it will ever be better than Matthew's though.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
With the Tkachuk bros' I don't think you get a lot of hockey IQ. That isn't to say they're dumb, but with either Tkachuk you're getting the WHOLE package instead of intelligence. The "in your face, hard to hit, hard to move, goes straight to the net, makes some havoc, can score, and dish the puck" overall deal you find at Costco. For what it's worth, Matthew is more of the punk while Brady plays more of a skilled game.

Definitely fixable as it is an explosive problem in straight line speed, his lateral movement isn't too bad considering his size/style of game. I don't think it will ever be better than Matthew's though.

I'm fine with that. My concern with hockey IQ is when players have no idea where to be, sorta like Yak.

Reactions: S E P H

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Avs have plenty of contract room and Barron without a doubt should be signed. At the very least you'r getting a quality pro and great locker room guy but if the Avs actually give him an opportunity he could be a modern Mcleod.

Well, hopefully. Obviously apples and oranges but I was once promised Mitch Heard would bottom out as a bottom 6 role player as well.

Good to hear on the Tkachuk front. Fingers crossed Sens somehow screw this all up and gift us this year’s pick in his range. I’m super high on him but would prefer him over a year of uncertainty and scoreboard watching next season. I think he’d fit in very nicely with our forward group.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't think he has had a very successful season, but damn that was one hell of a shot!

I think Notre Dame should have the highlight on twitter soon.

E: B10

He’s had a pretty pedestrian year statistically, but as a ND fan I was excited haha. He stepped up big in the tournament last year, & had the big goal tonight, so hopefully he picks it up a notch in postseason play once again.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Strong finish to a strong year for Lewis and Brandon. They'll play Medicine Hat and have a good chance making it to the East final. Regina will face Swift Current.

Was watching Mississauga vs Niagara this afternoon and they said Sportsnet will be showing games 1+2 of the Soo series

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bowers has been the 2C all year. He has the primary assist on the game tying goal and secondary on game winning in game 1 vs UConn, the primary assist on the game winning goal in game 2 against UConn, and the primary assist on the game winning goal in the semifinal, vid below. They had him out in the dzone taking the draw with the goalie pulled with under two minutes to go in the final game tonight.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Ty Lewis had a goal and an assist yesterday for Brandon to hit 100 points for the season in 70 games (44 g, 56 a).

Reactions: Patagonia

Eberle Is Edmonton13

Mar 11, 2012
What is the report on Sergei Boikov? Saw he was out all year with a shoulder injury. Is he a player who should be on the roster next season?

Eberle Is Edmonton13

Mar 11, 2012
Good god no. He seems like a really good kid and has NHL third pairing potential, but he wasn't ready before missing the whole season.
Thanks for the response. I am guessing he will be getting time in the AHL then and sounds like that is where he should have been had he not been injured.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not directly related to the Avs but Don Lucia is stepping down as head coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Pretty huge news. Hope they don't try to recruit George Gwozdecky.
That's a shame.

I mean with Lucia you could count on the Goofs getting caught up in their recruiting advantage and giving slots to a draft pick who would one-and-done at the end of the bench rather than a role player who would stay four years as a compenent of a solid team building concept.

Will the Goofs next coach get caught up in U of M's sense of entitlement and throw shade at the other unis who can't just throw open their doors and get a bunch of Sota Boys clarmoring to take part in that cult, and then acting like it makes them morally superior to schools who use older players?

Holy Cross! :clap::highclap::handclap:

DU and Air Force made the tourney. The Pioneers take on Ped State and the Falcons play St. Cow.

Reactions: cgf and Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad