Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Give Makar a few days to relax and then it's time for MacKinnon to call him up and make the pitch. ATO for the rest of this season with the Rampage and then start with the Eagles next season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it also depends on who the Avs sign in free agency. Even if we don't make the playoffs, this season is a sign/step in the right direction for Sakic, who might want to build upon that by grabbing some pieces on July 1st. I am not expecting a wide range of Bobby Ryan's from the Avs since I hope Sakic see's that half of his team comes off their RFA's in two years time. However, if I recall the Avs will need to sign some players to get over the cap floor. Because of that, it would be harder to see Timmins make the club as Sakic will probably guarantee playing time to whoever he signs and I don't consider that a bad thing.
True, I don't expect Barberio to be back, and that leaves a hole on the bottom pair for a RHD. Sakic will likely want somebody with NHL experience to bolster that in the NHL in case of injuries, but that will still leave a potential spot for a youngster like Timmins or Meloche to get a callup partway through the season when the blueline starts to deplete to get some get-your-feet-wet minutes in the NHL.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Ugh would much prefer him in the AHL. He needs to play more games.

Same. We'll see how he feels after Mack, Jost, and Sakic are calling him. He could be playing in loveland next year with Timmins, Meloche, and Boikov. Not sure about this loyalty he seems to have for UMass, I just don't think it's best for his development.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I will give a lot credit to Makar, he has a really level head between his shoulders. Is that the correct way American's say it?

If he doesn't think he is personally ready, give him another season in cawlidge hawkey. Absolutely zero complaints from me, Hockey East is one of the best conferences to play against. It seems he wants to jump straight from NCAA to NHL and honestly I cannot blame him for that...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
True, I don't expect Barberio to be back, and that leaves a hole on the bottom pair for a RHD. Sakic will likely want somebody with NHL experience to bolster that in the NHL in case of injuries, but that will still leave a potential spot for a youngster like Timmins or Meloche to get a callup partway through the season when the blueline starts to deplete to get some get-your-feet-wet minutes in the NHL.

I think they’ll bring Barberio back. He’s our 5th best dmen by a clear margin when everyone is healthy and can play with anyone, from Siemens to Barrie.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nah, I'm glad. One more year of college will be good for him. He's not a finished product yet. Marinating in college is fine, he'll be on a good team (this year's team advanced in the playoffs, next year will be stronger) and playing in a very good division against some very good competition. I'm way less worried about the number of games for him than the quality, and I think UMass will be a good place for him to play valuable development minutes next year.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Fewer games also means more strength training time which he wouldn't get playing an AHL schedule. Another perk is that he gets another Jrs, this time as a starter.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Fewer games also means more strength training time which he wouldn't get playing an AHL schedule. Another perk is that he gets another Jrs, this time as a starter.
Came in to say this.

He doesn’t need games. He needs to lift heavy things and put them down again. He’s good at hockey. Just not strong enough yet. In my opinion

Reactions: Barklez

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Mediocre programs don't win playoff series in hockey East. It's not BU but they will be a good team again if Makar returns. And it's not as if the Avs AHL affiliates have a storied history of success lately either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
UMass with Makar will be one of the better teams in the conference. It wouldn’t be a bad move at all for him to stay IMO.

Reactions: Barklez

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Mediocre programs don't win playoff series in hockey East. It's not BU but they will be a good team again if Makar returns. And it's not as if the Avs AHL affiliates have a storied history of success lately either.
They were the 8th seed who beat the 9th seed who had six wins in the conference and needed three games including two in OT to do it. It was a nice accomplishment but not exactly indicative of not being mediocre.

I've said enough about what I think of that program and what staying an extra year in school has to offer him. But the angle I think won't get enough play is the fact that they are going to have to offer a bit more than the AHL to get the guy to leave school. Jost didn't leave for the AHL, it's not a shock if Makar doesn't either.

Reactions: Ararana

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Ultimately it's Makar's decision to make. If he feels another year at UMass is best for him, he's going to stay.

I'm sure Sakic will at least attempt to sell him on going pro.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Question.

If you sign an ATO, can you still sign an ELC and just tear up the ATO contract?

What I'm saying is, Let's say Makar signs an ATO to finish the season out in the AHL. In doing so he sets the world on fire, looks like he'd improve the Avs blueline and would help the Avs get into the playoffs in the final stretch. Can he sign an ELC and get called up this year?

Not saying he's NHL ready or anything. Just curious if that could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad