Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah Lewis continues his hot start to the season. Barron had a really nice assist

Timmins has had a rough couple of games vs Windsor+London. Has been beat by speed constantly resulting in him either taking penalties or odd man rushes/breakaways. Also has had the puck stolen quite a bit which resulted in 2 goals. He's still doing pretty well on the PP but even strength is an issue right now but I'm sure he'll rebound.

Anderson has actually been really good of late. He's been moving the puck and being much more aggressive offensively than what he is usually while continuing to be solid in his own end. He still doesnt get any PP time so he'll never really have a chance to put up huge points and dont see that changing unless Cholowski is traded

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What's the point of this board if we shouldn't talk about what we think should happen?
It's Ontario tonight so they are good for at least one injury out of this game. I know they'll be calling guys up from the echl in no time. Still, the idealism vs reality is hilarious.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What perception? Nobody is acting like every single prospect is going to get tons of time just because they are a prospect.

I don't see what's so funny about thinking guys like Greer or Jost would get a lot more time in the AHL. It has nothing to do with being a prospect. They would just be some of the better players down their. Same goes for Nantel and the Eagles. He would get a ton of time there because he would be one of the best players there. Hard to say with Beaudin since he is so unproven at a pro level, but our a young prospect shouldn't be sitting on a bench. If he isn't good enough/ready for AHL time then send him down and let him play where he can in the EChL lineup.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So does anyone know how Makar looked defensively? I'm not concerned about his offense, as shown by his nice rush and assist. But the real question is how did he look in his own end?

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Colborne and Kostin will develop such a great chemistry that the Blues will trade for him...:sarcasm:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Smirnov with a 3 point night. Nice goal on a breakaway where he made a move close to the crease and tucked it 5 hole as the goalie made his move. Absolutely beautiful behind the back assist. Plus an assist on an EN goal. Had another sick pass where he drops it in the slot as he drives across the crease pulling both the goalie and defender. No idea how the shooter didn't score.

He sure is a skilled little dude.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Time is earned at all levels. I see nothing wrong with making prospects earn it instead of giving it to them. The only real issue I had with the lineup is Beaudin. This team up with the Blues is bound to cause these issues.

All that said, given time, if a prospect is going to make it at all... they will carve out a role.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Makar had a bad turnover in the NZ leading to a 2 on 2 rush where he also allowed a goal. Other than that he again looked quite responsible.

2 or so minutes left they pull their goalie while on the PP, and they put Makar out there to defend it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Colborne and Kostin will develop such a great chemistry that the Blues will trade for him...:sarcasm:
I'd rather trade Colborne for Kostin. :)

As for the rest, yeah it's still a development season for Makar. Not expecting this year to be all sunshine and rainbows for him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't even begin to articulate how bad UMass looked. Those games looked like what I'd watch when watching Clurman at Culver. Makar's teammates did not know how to get him the puck or do anything with it after he got it to them. Makar's talent is so evident. The way he moves, quick passes and decisions. He should have been on the ice 30 minutes but they were easing him in for some reason. It's not like there was much to defend on the other side. However Makar got the bulk of the PK work plus was the main unit on the 5 on 3 (even took the faceoff!). He was generally very responsible, few mistakes and made good decisions. Playing on that team I have no idea what to expect. How many goals is that team going to score. I know they'll get better but they'll have to start playing their conference too.

Reactions: Avs71

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
In a perverse way, I'm looking forward to see what Makar looks like when playing on a crap team for a change. My biggest concern with him was that he didn't have to try very hard to be dominant on a dynasty-level Bandits team. If he can keep developing in an environment where he can't just coast to victory every night it will do a lot to ease my worries about him.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wonderful post McMetal, I have the same thoughts in how I will warm up to him as well.

All this talk about Makar being average and nothing about Smirnov having three points last night? One goal and two primary assists.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Wonderful post McMetal, I have the same thoughts in how I will warm up to him as well.

All this talk about Makar being average and nothing about Smirnov having three points last night? One goal and two primary assists.

Well, I guess I know who's ignore list I'm on :(

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
No. Bad joke I guess. SEPH said nobody is talking about Smirnov's night, but I posted on it right after the game.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I can't even begin to articulate how bad UMass looked. Those games looked like what I'd watch when watching Clurman at Culver. Makar's teammates did not know how to get him the puck or do anything with it after he got it to them.

At least he is getting used to what it will be like playing for the Avalanche.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can't even begin to articulate how bad UMass looked. Those games looked like what I'd watch when watching Clurman at Culver. Makar's teammates did not know how to get him the puck or do anything with it after he got it to them. Makar's talent is so evident. The way he moves, quick passes and decisions. He should have been on the ice 30 minutes but they were easing him in for some reason. It's not like there was much to defend on the other side. However Makar got the bulk of the PK work plus was the main unit on the 5 on 3 (even took the faceoff!). He was generally very responsible, few mistakes and made good decisions. Playing on that team I have no idea what to expect. How many goals is that team going to score. I know they'll get better but they'll have to start playing their conference too.

Why is there so much disparity between players in the NCAA? I mean you see great teams in the CHL and very bad ones, but players are all at about the same level. You're not seeing Junior C or beer league guys in the CHL. In NCAA it's almost as if they ask random college students if they want to play hockey and throw them with guys that just got drafted by an NHL team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why is there so much disparity between players in the NCAA? I mean you see great teams in the CHL and very bad ones, but players are all at about the same level. You're not seeing Junior C or beer league guys in the CHL. In NCAA it's almost as if they ask random college students if they want to play hockey and throw them with guys that just got drafted by an NHL team.
Good question. There's just so many teams and programs, it's all run and recruited differently. The CHL at least it's basically the one same league with 60 teams. I know the CHL will have a lot of kids that will never make a dime playing hockey either. For me it's the puck skill is the biggest difference. Even watching a championship team in DU, the level of puck skill is tough to watch sometimes.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Smirnov is skilled as all hell, no question, you could see it in the rookie camp drills. He's a boom or bust type for sure, I think the determining factor in how he'll fare at the NHL level will be if he can figure out how to be as slippery as Gaudreau is. Despite his size, nobody ever seems to really be able to use size to dominate him because they can't quite pin him down. If Smirnov can do that, I think he could have a similar career trajectory, but it's a rare skill and most players that size don't have it.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Good question. There's just so many teams and programs, it's all run and recruited differently. The CHL at least it's basically the one same league with 60 teams. I know the CHL will have a lot of kids that will never make a dime playing hockey either. For me it's the puck skill is the biggest difference. Even watching a championship team in DU, the level of puck skill is tough to watch sometimes.

In Canada all players go through the same path: peewee, bantam, midget, junior and then the best junior players play in the CHL. There are several "levels" at each steps (AAA, AA, A, BB, B, CC, C...) to ensure that the competition is always fair.

In NCAA is there no structure at all? US highschool and college sports confuse the heck out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad