Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The good news is being bounced around like that constantly all year and not getting an opportunity to stick in one spot could be something that adds to his motivations to come to North America instead of sticking in Russia. As I could definitely see that getting frustrating pretty quickly for a kid who just wants to play.

Maybe, but it could also mess with his development to be constantly moving and adapting to different teammates/coaches.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The good news is being bounced around like that constantly all year and not getting an opportunity to stick in one spot could be something that adds to his motivations to come to North America instead of sticking in Russia. As I could definitely see that getting frustrating pretty quickly for a kid who just wants to play.

I am not a conspiracy theorist about this, but there is well documented data that Russians who come over to the NA tend to fall apart compared to staying in Russia and then coming over when they're NHL ready.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I am not a conspiracy theorist about this, but there is well documented data that Russians who come over to the NA tend to fall apart compared to staying in Russia and then coming over when they're NHL ready.

I can see that. The culture shock combined with still learning how to up your game is probably really hard on some of them.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Oh yeah, wouldn't surprise me in the least. It'd surprise me if that doesn't happen to a ton of kids, coming into a completely different world. Hell if I was Russian I'd probably do the same.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Worth pointing out that this theory only works with forwards and that mostly just because of Grigorenko. Some Russian forward talents that people thought might rise into the top two rounds by their draft years have stalled in NA, but plenty of others were unfazed by NA hockey at that young of an age.

And for dmen it may even have been a boon with Provorov and Zadorov leading the way...although if Zadorov's never able to rediscover his creativity & bravado I may buy into this theory more.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Worth pointing out that this theory only works with forwards and that mostly just because of Grigorenko. Some Russian forward talents that people thought might rise into the top two rounds by their draft years have stalled in NA, but plenty of others were unfazed by NA hockey at that young of an age.

And for dmen it may even have been a boon with Provorov and Zadorov leading the way...although if Zadorov's never able to rediscover his creativity & bravado I may buy into this theory more.

For guys who come over to play the CHL I think there's less of a danger. You have a couple years to adjust to North America before the draft and the intense jump to the NHL. Adjusting to the cutthroat world of NHL hockey at the same time as learning a new language and culture at age 18/19 is a whole lot to take in, I could see how that could mess with heads.

On the contrary, if you wait till you're fully NHL ready to come over, you don't have to work on both your game and the new country at the same time, and you're also likely a bit more mature as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For guys who come over to play the CHL I think there's less of a danger. You have a couple years to adjust to North America before the draft and the intense jump to the NHL. Adjusting to the cutthroat world of NHL hockey at the same time as learning a new language and culture at age 18/19 is a whole lot to take in, I could see how that could mess with heads.

On the contrary, if you wait till you're fully NHL ready to come over, you don't have to work on both your game and the new country at the same time, and you're also likely a bit more mature as well.

The argument goes that the russian system puts more emphasis on nurturing skill & creativity in those years where CHLers are mastering the dump-n-chase & defensive-hockey. So in those crucial years where russian players need to be able to experiment & focus on solving problems creatively/skillfully, they are instead rushed to get polished into the mechanical robots that most need to become to crack it as NHLers.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I don't know if it is just because of Grigs, but if you spend a lot of time on the prospect forum, CHL fanboys and Russians get into pissing matches concerning this. I used the word "data" in my previous post, but that was probably the wrong usage. No sort of data or experimentation will justify which side is right and I don't know who's side to take, but I suggest it really depends on the player. I do agree with others that jumping into the CHL from Russia might give you dear the headlights sort of moment compared to other countries like Germany for example.

But I've also noticed that players like Provorov who play a couple of seasons in NA minor hockey adjust better.

In the end though, the best Russian players are ones who have developed in Russia and came over when they feel the time is right. So for that case, I do hope that Shvyryov stays in Russia even though he will get bounced around.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know where you've seen it, it's just really shaky and a flimsy narrative being pushed by a few particular hardcore russian homers.

As for Shvyry, it all comes down to opportunity and if we cna bring him over. Since I'm skeptical of him ever coming over and he's past the most dangerous years, even according to those that subscribe to the 'coming to NA too early ruins russians' theory, and just bring him over as soon as he was ready to come over. If he doesn't wanna come over next summer, that's fine, that's what I expect; but if at some point we can bring him over, I'd jump on it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So Ty Lewis was sent back after having a wonderful training camp and currently has 5 points in the opening game. Wheat Kings are currently beating Pats 7-1.

Reactions: avsfan3737

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Do you know if Ty Smith sign a ELC with the avs?

Ty Smith is a draft eligible this year(had an amazing 1st game). Ty Lewis didnt get signed but should've been.

Anderson had a very quiet 1st game. Had some nice defensive plays but struggled moving the puck. So same old

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Burke said that if the world championships taught him one thing, it was to inject some youth. “We took that line of Travis Konecny, Mitch Marner and Brayden Point. They were great for us.” He wouldn’t comment about it further, but that is going to be a gentle negotiation for both Canada and the United States. Will CHL and NCAA teams be willing to release players for the Olympic tournament? It becomes even dicier if those same players already miss time for the World Juniors. My opinion is you have to let them go, but you know there’s going to be pushback — especially in February. Team USA just had the University of Denver’s Troy Terry at its Olympic seminar, a selection that makes a ton of sense. I could see Canada taking a long look at Cale Makar (Colorado) and/or Nolan Patrick (Philadelphia), if available. I’d assume the kids would love to go, too.

I don't know how UMass would feel or how it'd work with his classes/education (even I laughed when I typed that) but it'd be cool to see Makar represent Canada at the WJC and then the Olympics.

edit: I have no idea why the link isn't working but that's from Friedman's latest 30 thoughts.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Solid 1st game back for Timmins. He did a great job moving the puck for the most part and was always joining the rush smartly. Had some trouble with Svechnikov but who doesnt. Had 1A and put 5 shots on net in more of a creating rebounds rather than trying to score way

Reactions: LTC Pain

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Ty Lewis now with 10 points in 4 games. Off to a great start.

Also, I can't wait for UMass to get on the ice next weekend. Haven't been this intrigued by a prospect in the Avs system in a long time. Finally a guy that has the potential to be a 1D, it's exciting stuff.

Only exhibition, but I'll be following closely.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We have a lot of exciting prospects to pay attention to this year in a lot of different leagues. Timmins, Morrison, Makar, Meloche, Greer, Shvyrev. Clurman should be interesting to watch as well.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Anderson had a really good night. He shut down the Winterhawks big guns and was much more offensive than usual. Moved the puck well and had a great stretch pass that resulted in an assist

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah this guy wasn't a hockey fan but knows about Makar. He's the highest UMass player ever drafted so there's probably a ton of hype and the spotlights will be on him all year. It's a good thing IMO.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I'm excited about all our prospects and very intrigued by Morrison . Jost and Morrison looked good on line together on Canada's under 18 team ..expecting a big year from him ..loved this pick in the draft

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Nice Morrison goal, and pass from Anderson. Thanks for posting those. Side note, I cant stand those notre dame helmets, they're so distracting. I enjoy the euro league points leader version, I think that'a fun idea. But having a whole team of shiny helmets makes it hard for me to focus( probably saying more about my attention span unfortunately).

Interesting note about Makar playing physical, didn't know he had an edge to his game. Wonder if that translates to bigger/stronger competition, as long as he doesn't shy away from it, I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad