News Article: Canucks D Quinn Hughes nominated for the James Norris Memorial Trophy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes still isn't getting a ton of respect from some of the hockey writers--particularly those guys in the East. They're stumping big time for Makar, particularly based on what he's doing so far in the playoffs.

Even though 'playoff performances' aren't supposed to sway the voters. Because if that were the case, Erik Karlsson would never have won the Norris last year playing for the lowly Sharks.

But I fear it could be a 'toss-up'. No doubt in my mind that Hughes deserves it. But with voting so tight, anything can happen.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Makar win it.

Outraged, yes - but surprised, no. Seeing some of the verbatim comments from people with voting credentials has just cemented my opinion that a lot of people just don't watch hockey outside of the team they cover.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Hughes still isn't getting a ton of respect from some of the hockey writers--particularly those guys in the East. They're stumping big time for Makar, particularly based on what he's doing so far in the playoffs.

Even though 'playoff performances' aren't supposed to sway the voters. Because if that were the case, Erik Karlsson would never have won the Norris last year playing for the lowly Sharks.

But I fear it could be a 'toss-up'. No doubt in my mind that Hughes deserves it. But with voting so tight, anything can happen.
Votes are cast before the playoffs start, IIRC, so no danger of stupid playoff-influenced votes for regular season awards.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I still wouldn't be surprised to see Makar win it.

Outraged, yes - but surprised, no. Seeing some of the verbatim comments from people with voting credentials has just cemented my opinion that a lot of people just don't watch hockey outside of the team they cover.
Personally, the bar is so low for me when it comes to what I actually expect from these people that I would just be pleasantly surprised if even just Josi was favored over Makar this year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I wouldn't place Makar in the top three (and reading your words I suspect you wouldn't either) but expect there will still be voters who place him first on reputation and points per game.
Same same.

Get ready to empty your pockets, along with your wallet and watch.......because the Hockey Writers website has just endorsed Makar for the Norris.
Does not suprise me.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Get ready to empty your pockets, along with your wallet and watch.......because the Hockey Writers website has just endorsed Makar for the Norris.

Next to nobody who writes for that website actually has a vote in the Norris. (It's 1, maybe 3 total) and not the person who wrote the article I think you're talking about.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Of course the homers will vote for their guy, but Hughes has been the best overall. You wonder how many points QH could get playing with truly elite offensive stars like MacKinnon.
JT Miller is no MacKinnon, obviously, but he is a truly elite offensive star in the NHL.

Also - Hughes should absolutely 100% win this award, by a wide margin. But, I have very little faith in the people that vote on these things. The fact that no one in the east watches our games will hurt him. I honestly won't be overly shocked if he doesn't win, even though that would be a ludicrous injustice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad