NCAA: 2017-18 Playoff/New Years Six Watch

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It had never crossed my mind that Georgia would jump Alabama, but the moment I saw it, it took me about 10 seconds to figure out that it made sense. Georgia has beaten the best team with 1-loss, that should put you #1.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
That’s way too many games for the finalists. 4 made no sense to me with 5 “power conferences”.

I say take away a cupcake game and make it 8 teams.

8 teams works great, 5 P5 champions, best Group of 5 champion, and 2 wild card (and yes, Notre Dame, if you want to stay out of a conference, you only get a crack at those two spots. Deal with it.)

While part of me would like the idea of giving all conference champions a berth like with the basketball tournament, 16 just seems too much right now and nobody really needs to see Alabama beat up on Arkansas St or something like that. 8 seems doable. If you wanted to do a "every conference champion" deal, you could go to 12: give top 4 champions a bye, and then remaining 6 + 2 wild cards play in the first round.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No more then 8. There’s been way too many blowouts 8 might be too much but I think the blowouts are because the com is trash picking the wrong team

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Apparently beating an overrated Penn State is a big deal and not the fact you lost to Northwestern as Michigan State jumped UCF and a lot of teams. 8 two loss teams are also ahead of us, we haven't lost and have a victory over a top 25 team yet get no credit. Better reward us with the Peach.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Apparently beating an overrated Penn State is a big deal and not the fact you lost to Northwestern as Michigan State jumped UCF and a lot of teams. 8 two loss teams are also ahead of us, we haven't lost and have a victory over a top 25 team yet get no credit. Better reward us with the Peach.

Isn't it better to be awarded some cupcake bowl so you can further pump up your garbage record against another cream puff rather than getting waxed in the Peach Bowl.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Isn't it better to be awarded some cupcake bowl so you can further pump up your garbage record against another cream puff rather than getting waxed in the Peach Bowl.

Garbage record? Compare it with Wisconsin and see who has cream puffs. Miami finally beat a good opponent and Washington has a weak one as well. So don't talk about cream puff schedules.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Garbage record? Compare it with Wisconsin and see who has cream puffs. Miami finally beat a good opponent and Washington has a weak one as well. So don't talk about cream puff schedules.

I did compare it to Wisconsins and Wisconsins schedule is much harder than UCF's.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Wmu gave Wisconsin a fight. Ucf getting destroyed isn’t certain

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I did compare it to Wisconsins and Wisconsins schedule is much harder than UCF's.

Show me where it's much harder? The fact UCF has played 4 teams above. 500 while Wisconsin 2? Washington has played 2 above .500 as well and nobody in the top 25. Miami 2 above. 500 as also.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The rankings outside of the top teams are still pretty bad(not as bad as previous times but still questionable imo). If there’s another blowout or two the commit needs to go and just let the computer/Vegas pick the top teams. I know blowouts happened then too but at least it made sense for the teams to be there

I think the top 8 will look ugly this year which is important should we expand to 8

All in my opinion

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017

People had the same mentality about Big East and MWC teams back in the day (TCU, Boise, and WVU). Hell, even in recent years, Boise, UCF, and Houston have all scored victories over power 5 teams.

It’s likely they won’t get waxed.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
People had the same mentality about Big East and MWC teams back in the day (TCU, Boise, and WVU). Hell, even in recent years, Boise, UCF, and Houston have all scored victories over power 5 teams.

It’s likely they won’t get waxed.

The biggest reason they won't get waxed is that the Power 5 team they face likely won't go all out.

Also I would say those other teams were much better than this UCF team.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The biggest reason they won't get waxed is that the Power 5 team they face likely won't go all out.

Also I would say those other teams were much better than this UCF team.

Sound a lot like Baylor fans who said they'd blow us out only to get smoked themselves.

How are we below those teams? We are 5th in total offense and 1st in scoring offense. We have legit weapons on offense, we can score on anybody. We have athletes all over the field, we can hang with any P5 team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Sound a lot like Baylor fans who said they'd blow us out only to get smoked themselves.

How are we below those teams? We are 5th in total offense and 1st in scoring offense. We have legit weapons on offense, we can score on anybody. We have athletes all over the field, we can hang with any P5 team.

I can just as easily say you don't have athletes on the field, you don't have legit weapons on offense, you can't score on anybody. Those are all kind of meaningless platitudes when we haven't seen it against legit teams.

I just have a hard time looking at that schedule and looking at that defense and seeing them being competitive against the top teams in the country. I don't think that offense comes close to being #1 in the country if playing a power 5 schedule. And I think there is zero chance they can score on the top teams or hand with any of the top 6 (likely top 10) teams in the country.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can just as easily say you don't have athletes on the field, you don't have legit weapons on offense, you can't score on anybody. Those are all kind of meaningless platitudes when we haven't seen it against legit teams.

I just have a hard time looking at that schedule and looking at that defense and seeing them being competitive against the top teams in the country. I don't think that offense comes close to being #1 in the country if playing a power 5 schedule. And I think there is zero chance they can score on the top teams or hand with any of the top 6 (likely top 10) teams in the country.

If you can say those things you clearly haven't seen UCF play this year. So we haven't played the supposed best teams, we can't change that we beat who was in front of us. But if you want to say the AAC teams are crap and the defenses are crap well so are a lot of the P5 conferences. The AAC has 3 teams ranked 100 or worse in scoring defense, Big 12 has 3, Pac 12 has 3, SEC has 2, ACC 1, Big 10 1. So it's not just G5 schools who play no defense.

What's wrong with our defense? Top 40 in total defense and top 30 in scoring. We are fairly low on time of possession and have been up every game, teams have been getting a ton of garbage yards and points on us. We can hang with any team in the top 10 on both sides of the ball, watch a game UCF is as legit as any team this year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If you can say those things you clearly haven't seen UCF play this year. So we haven't played the supposed best teams, we can't change that we beat who was in front of us. But if you want to say the AAC teams are crap and the defenses are crap well so are a lot of the P5 conferences. The AAC has 3 teams ranked 100 or worse in scoring defense, Big 12 has 3, Pac 12 has 3, SEC has 2, ACC 1, Big 10 1. So it's not just G5 schools who play no defense.

What's wrong with our defense? Top 40 in total defense and top 30 in scoring. We are fairly low on time of possession and have been up every game, teams have been getting a ton of garbage yards and points on us. We can hang with any team in the top 10 on both sides of the ball, watch a game UCF is as legit as any team this year.

Come on you are really going to say they can hang with Georgia and Alabama? I know that is a little unfair from me as I am not sure many teams from 8-15 could hang with them but I would favor teams like ND, Wisconsin, Ohio State by 15-20 points over UCF.

Its great that you are a fan and love your team but I just see nothing from them, in terms of watching them and looking at their play this year and last that indicates any reason for them to be any higher than they are and certainly can't see how they are deserving to be in the play-off.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Come on you are really going to say they can hang with Georgia and Alabama? I know that is a little unfair from me as I am not sure many teams from 8-15 could hang with them but I would favor teams like ND, Wisconsin, Ohio State by 15-20 points over UCF.

Its great that you are a fan and love your team but I just see nothing from them, in terms of watching them and looking at their play this year and last that indicates any reason for them to be any higher than they are and certainly can't see how they are deserving to be in the play-off.

On a neutral field they can hang with those two. We aren't Florida or Tennessee who got blown out. We are beater than A&M who gave Alabama a decent game and South Carolina who hung with Georgia. They might win but it won't be a beat down. Again, neutral site vs any of those 3 and we can win each game. Ohio State has been crushed twice this year, they aren't that good. Wisconsin we match up with well, the same with ND, our run D is our strength.

If you watched them this year and aren't impressed I don't know what impresses you then? That offense is lights out, they're clicking like Frost had Oregon years ago. Last year I can see you not being impressed but the QB play has been a complete 180, Milton is on the Maxwell semifinalist list and was hot garbage at times last year. The defense was a bit better last year but they make plays when needed. Why should a 2 loss VT be ahead of them with no good wins, or Ohio State who's been blown out twice? If you can't see why they should be higher you're biased against non P5 schools.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That's quite the ****ing standard

Its almost like I address that very concern in the next sentence.

And to be fair it is a standard that hose thinks they can meet so not sure it is out of line when discussing it with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad