GDT: 2017-18 Other Games Around the League Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Didn't the Sharks lose a series to the Kings where the home team won every game? I think it was the one where Torres got suspended.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So last change. Comfort of home. Crowd energy. All meaningless?

Not to mention penalty bias to home team.

Most studies show home team winning more often.

None of which has shown to be any real influence on who wins playoff series. Just look at how many road teams won last year and many years in the cap era. Three of the eight first round series were won by the road team. Half the second round series were won by road teams. Same for the Conference Finals. There are more important factors than home ice that determines who will win a series. It's not worth worrying about.

Home ice was so meaningless versus nashville a couple years ago.

It didn't help LA or St. Louis against us. It didn't help a lot of teams over the years. You can't just pick and choose which ones to point at. Overall, the home team does win more often than not but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's because of the home ice.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
None of which has shown to be any real influence on who wins playoff series. Just look at how many road teams won last year and many years in the cap era. Three of the eight first round series were won by the road team. Half the second round series were won by road teams. Same for the Conference Finals. There are more important factors than home ice that determines who will win a series. It's not worth worrying about.

It didn't help LA or St. Louis against us. It didn't help a lot of teams over the years. You can't just pick and choose which ones to point at. Overall, the home team does win more often than not but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's because of the home ice.

Or i can look at the big picture in that overall the home team wins more.

Its certainly hyperbolic to call it meaningless.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Or i can look at the big picture in that overall the home team wins more.

Its certainly hyperbolic to call it meaningless.

And the argument against that would be that the team with home ice is more often than not the better team and that's the reason rather than the home ice. And I disagree that it's hyperbolic. There's nothing about the home ice advantage that really sways games one way or the other.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
And the argument against that would be that the team with home ice is more often than not the better team and that's the reason rather than the home ice. And I disagree that it's hyperbolic. There's nothing about the home ice advantage that really sways games one way or the other.
Except last change, crowd energy, sleeping at home vs hotel. But keep reaching

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except last change, crowd energy, sleeping at home vs hotel. But keep reaching

Except show how it matters and how it's not just the better team being the better team. There should be enough games showing that it doesn't make any difference to dismiss these insignificant differences between being a road team and a home team as just that...insignificant. But yeah keep being snarky.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Except show how it matters and how it's not just the better team being the better team. There should be enough games showing that it doesn't make any difference to dismiss these insignificant differences between being a road team and a home team as just that...insignificant.

I did. Your counter amounted to, well the home ice team is just better.

You made the statement but have provided less than me in terms of evidence.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
You actually didn't but whatever.
I actually did. But okay.

You want to pretend just spouting off that something is meaningless isnt hyperbolic, thats fine, but you need to back it up. Otherwise own that you didnt mean for it to be taken literally.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I actually did. But okay.

You want to pretend just spouting off that something is meaningless isnt hyperbolic, thats fine, but you need to back it up. Otherwise own that you didnt mean for it to be taken literally.

You actually didn't because you're not showing at all how any of that actually influences anything. Your second line is just a bunch of crap. Go tell someone else what they should be doing and don't bother trying that with me.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
You actually didn't because you're not showing at all how any of that actually influences anything. Your second line is just a bunch of crap. Go tell someone else what they should be doing and don't bother trying that with me.
Bs dude. This whole conversation is just hyperbole from you. Own it for once lmao.
You think persistence wins arguments but you've provided nothing of substance here.

If you want to change your wording to something like arguable, or its a factor but not the most important id bite. But keep digging in your heels and refusing to ever accept an opinion other than your own lol.

Home Ice Advantage | Hockey Metrics

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bs dude. This whole conversation is just hyperbole from you. Own it for once lmao.
You think persistence wins arguments but you've provided nothing of substance here.

If you want to change your wording to something like arguable, or its a factor but not the most important id bite. But keep digging in your heels and refusing to ever accept an opinion other than your own lol.

Home Ice Advantage | Hockey Metrics

That's at least presenting some evidence but I disagree with the interpretation of the numbers. Before that link, you literally posted nothing of substance. At least there is some substance even if I disagree with the interpretation of the stats. But even that doesn't show that those things you get from home ice is the reason why they win games. It's a lot of non-sequiturs, faulty assumptions, and correlation equaling causation. But yet again, try telling that crap to someone who might actually listen to you because it ain't going to be me. I have no problems accepting opinions that aren't my own. I've done it numerous times but those go unnoticed because there's nothing memorable about them. Sounds to me more like you have that problem but projection from you looks to be a consistent theme from you towards me.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
That's at least presenting some evidence but I disagree with the interpretation of the numbers. Before that link, you literally posted nothing of substance. At least there is some substance even if I disagree with the interpretation of the stats. But even that doesn't show that those things you get from home ice is the reason why they win games. It's a lot of non-sequiturs, faulty assumptions, and correlation equaling causation. But yet again, try telling that crap to someone who might actually listen to you because it ain't going to be me. I have no problems accepting opinions that aren't my own. I've done it numerous times but those go unnoticed because there's nothing memorable about them. Sounds to me more like you have that problem but projection from you looks to be a consistent theme from you towards me.

Tf? No one on this board would say youve ever changed your opnion.

Why would i project? You want to spout hot takes but provide zilch in proof.

My link simply disproves your theory that the better team wins. Thats league wide over a large sample. Again i say your theory because its another hyperbolic statement with nothing to back it.

But sure lets pretend home ice means nothing lmao

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tf? No one on this board would say youve ever changed your opnion.

Why would i project? You want to spout hot takes but provide zilch in proof.

My link simply disproves your theory that the better team wins. Thats league wide over a large sample. Again i say your theory because its another hyperbolic statement with nothing to back it.

But sure lets pretend home ice means nothing lmao

No one on this board would say I've ever changed my opinion? Then you want to talk about someone else being hyperbolic and say you're not projecting? Your link didn't disprove anything I said. Do you not understand any of the critiques of it that I posted? All this stuff you want to levy at me as a personal statement are things you need to look in the mirror on kid. Let's just leave it at that.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
No one on this board would say I've ever changed my opinion? Then you want to talk about someone else being hyperbolic and say you're not projecting? Your link didn't disprove anything I said. Do you not understand any of the critiques of it that I posted? All this stuff you want to levy at me as a personal statement are things you need to look in the mirror on kid. Let's just leave it at that.

Your critique if you can call it that was. Non sequiturs, correlation and causation and something else. If you expect me to believe you looked at the data that quick and somehow proved all of it false id LOVE to see it.

And im glad you can recognize everyone's ridiculous statements other thab your own.

Provide some evidence or give up your farce of an argument.

And just to remind you of what im arguing. Only the fact that you want to say home ice is meaningless. If you want to budge and say it has a factor we can call a truce here. Otherwise provide an actual defense of your statement.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Your critique if you can call it that was. Non sequiturs, correlation and causation and something else. If you expect me to believe you looked at the data that quick and somehow proved all of it false id LOVE to see it.

And im glad you can recognize everyone's ridiculous statements other thab your own.
Provide some evidence or give up your farce of an argument.

And just to remind you of what im arguing. Only the fact that you want to say home ice is meaningless. If you want to budge and say it has a factor we can call a truce here. Otherwise provide an actual defense of your statement.

That entire list of numbers had a built-in assumption that all teams are equal on talent. There is no method to account for that in those numbers. If you're going to talk about determining whether home ice is a thing, you have to somehow acknowledge that teams have different skill levels. The fact that you can't even acknowledge that very simple fact means you can't have a legitimate conversation about it but instead want to just have your preconceived notions reinforced. So nah I'll pass on your bs requests.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
That entire list of numbers had a built-in assumption that all teams are equal on talent. There is no method to account for that in those numbers. If you're going to talk about determining whether home ice is a thing, you have to somehow acknowledge that teams have different skill levels. The fact that you can't even acknowledge that very simple fact means you can't have a legitimate conversation about it but instead want to just have your preconceived notions reinforced. So nah I'll pass on your bs requests.

Just remember. The burden of proof for your hot take is on YOU and you jad nothing.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Enough. Take it to private conversation or knock it off. You're not even arguing the point anymore. It's just become a ****ing contest. There hasn't been anything resembling a reasonably on-topic post about games around the league in over a page.

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I think if the team at home prefers home ice then it matters! If they don’t, then it doesn’t! Not counting built in factors such as faceoff changing lines second as the home team and perhaps knowing the quirks/bounces of your rink better than opponents from more experience. I enjoyed reading that tilt.

Also, would be nice to see a game where the ducks and kings lose. Same thing every game from them, ducks trail and then comeback to win. Kings top guys score timely ppgs. Saturday should be fun with this Pacific battle and with the blues and avs essentially playing a play-in game

Reactions: PuckTenderizingMeat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad