GDT: 2017-18 Other Games Around the League Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Bahaha the kings lost that game today? Seen the 3-1 score after 2 and mumbled a bad word to myself about how they got closer to the sharks thanks to the crappy hawks lol.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
T-Mac is worthless.

Where's he gonna coach next year? Certainly a team that doesn't have a prime Thornton/Marleau or Connor McDavid (unless he's not fired) to make him look a good head coach.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
T-Mac is worthless.

Where's he gonna coach next year? Certainly a team that doesn't have a prime Thornton/Marleau or Connor McDavid (unless he's not fired) to make him look a good head coach.

Its impressive to take a team with mcdavid and draisatl to the bottom.

But chia is making a lot of missteps.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its impressive to take a team with mcdavid and draisatl to the bottom.

But chia is making a lot of missteps.
They both suck.

I just have always been of the opinion that McLellan does nothing to provide a team to be any better than they are and that’s he’s a net neutral presence at the very best.

I don’t blame him for what Edmonton has done this year, just as I give him zero credit for what they did last year and zero credit for the Sharks success while he was here.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You watch today? Talk about pouring it on and intensity. 4 goals in the 3rd...

...for the ****ty Blackhawks. LOL

No, I just caught the game the other night where the Kings showed a level of determination I've always wanted to see from the Sharks but never have.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
No, I just caught the game the other night where the Kings showed a level of determination I've always wanted to see from the Sharks but never have.
I watched that game too. Yes, LA looked really good at the end of the game, but they barely even showed up until 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Vegas went full turtle and when the Kings looked their best, they had an extra skater on the ice. I don't think it was qualitatively that much "grittier" than the Sharks looked in their comeback against the Ducks that went similarly.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They both suck.

I just have always been of the opinion that McLellan does nothing to provide a team to be any better than they are and that’s he’s a net neutral presence at the very best.

I don’t blame him for what Edmonton has done this year, just as I give him zero credit for what they did last year and zero credit for the Sharks success while he was here.

I tend to blame the GM before I blame the coach. Chiarelli's choices of players to bring in is the biggest problem for the Oilers at the end of the day. McLellan isn't helping matters and should still get fired but that's not because he's at fault entirely for the product. He's just to blame when you have special teams as terrible as the Oilers have. I can let slide the PK but the PP being dead last at 14% when you have McDavid and Draisaitl is absolutely an offense that should cost you your job.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I tend to blame the GM before I blame the coach. Chiarelli's choices of players to bring in is the biggest problem for the Oilers at the end of the day. McLellan isn't helping matters and should still get fired but that's not because he's at fault entirely for the product. He's just to blame when you have special teams as terrible as the Oilers have. I can let slide the PK but the PP being dead last at 14% when you have McDavid and Draisaitl is absolutely an offense that should cost you your job.
I think he's just a neutral coach. He rode passenger to Thornton and Marleau, who were basically still in their prime for much of the time he was here, even though they were in their 30's (except for his first season here). Marleau had better years during the McLellan era than he did in his 20's, and that's not to say that McLellan deserves credit. I'm not giving McLellan credit for a future HOF player having monster years (As well as amazingly durable years) in his 30's.

That's why I struggled with voting McLellan as best Sharks head coach of all time, when we had this poll several years ago. I think Sutter was better. Sutter didn't have Thornton and Marleau's best years were quite a bit after Sutter left. I was never for firing Sutter at the time he got fired either. Why should McLellan be best Sharks head coach of all time? Because he made the conference finals a couple times and won a Presidents Trophy with prime Thornton and Marleau? I think DeBoer ranks ahead of him at this point.... And I'm not even a DeBoer fan. And I don't see how McLellan is really any better than Ron Wilson on the Sharks historical head coach ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad