GDT: 2017-18 Other Games Around the League Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
And smart GMs can fill holes using non-Duchene assets. You don’t trade a star for quantity.
You don't trade a star period unless there's extenuating circumstances. Duchene was going to walk even if that's more than a year out. Duchene wanted out. There was serious doubt if he was even going to report to the Avs.

Also, should probably stop dwelling on the Barzal thing unless you really want to hate everything. Or we can Barzal about Barzal until Barzal Barzals to the Barzal in Barzal Barzals. Barzal. I Barzal Barzal so Barzal. That's how Barzal I want to Barzal so let's keep Barzal-ing about Barzal.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You don't trade a star period unless there's extenuating circumstances. Duchene was going to walk even if that's more than a year out. Duchene wanted out. There was serious doubt if he was even going to report to the Avs.

Also, should probably stop dwelling on the Barzal thing unless you really want to hate everything. Or we can Barzal about Barzal until Barzal Barzals to the Barzal in Barzal Barzals. Barzal. I Barzal Barzal so Barzal. That's how Barzal I want to Barzal so let's keep Barzal-ing about Barzal.

Yeah, I should stop dwelling on a franchise changing mistake.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, I should stop dwelling on a franchise changing mistake.
Absolutely stop dwelling on it. What do you gain from dwelling on it? You make it sound like it would be a mistake to not stop comparing everything that happens going forward to what could be with Barzal.

I get being frustrated about Meier not performing as well as a lot of people from his draft class but I really don't understand the need to bring up Barzal every time he does something.

Calling it a franchise changing mistake of all things is ridiculous.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I still think we should've traded up and went after Werenski, but sometimes those opportunities just aren't there.

I'm not entirely sold on Barzal yet either. Remember when Hertl looked like the second coming of Hockey Jesus when he first broke out? Well he's tailed off since then.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I still think we should've traded up and went after Werenski, but sometimes those opportunities just aren't there.

I'm not entirely sold on Barzal yet either. Remember when Hertl looked like the second coming of Hockey Jesus when he first broke out? Well he's tailed off since then.

Hertl has improved a ton since his rookie year. But whatever keeps your narrative alive.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Hertl has improved a ton since his rookie year. But whatever keeps your narrative alive.

I don't even think he's scored 6 goals in a month since his rookie year, let alone 6 in 2 games.

Rookies look like hot shit at some point all the time, then they hit a wall, unless they're generational supertalents like McDavid.

Barzal isn't one and racking up 5 assists against a bottom feeder who just traded their 2nd best player midgame doesn't change that.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't even think he's scored 6 goals in a month since his rookie year, let alone 6 in 2 games.

Rookies look like hot **** at some point all the time, then they hit a wall, unless they're generational supertalents like McDavid.

Barzal isn't one and racking up 5 assists against a bottom feeder who just traded their 2nd best player midgame doesn't change that.

Yeah, because goals are the ultimate measure of success!

Hertl’s first half of his rookie season was good but let’s not forget he was on a line with that absolutely godly Thornton-Burns combo. He did nothing during that stretch with them that he couldn’t have done in his present condition with that duo. Let’s not forget that starting from the moment that the Thornton/Pavelski/Hertl line was put together in 2015-2016, Hertl outscored Pavelski at even strength.

You act like a five assist game is easy against the Colorado Avalanche, then why doesn’t Joe Thornton score five assists against them every game?

You don’t have to downplay Barzal because we don’t have him. He’s scoring a point a game, he’s the Isles’ best possession player, and he’s a 20 year old center. Players like Alex Chiasson who come out of nowhere and have hot starts to their rookie seasons, those guys you worry about being a flash in the pan. A guy with a long history of elite production like Barzal? Come on man.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yeah, because goals are the ultimate measure of success!

Hertl’s first half of his rookie season was good but let’s not forget he was on a line with that absolutely godly Thornton-Burns combo. He did nothing during that stretch with them that he couldn’t have done in his present condition with that duo. Let’s not forget that starting from the moment that the Thornton/Pavelski/Hertl line was put together in 2015-2016, Hertl outscored Pavelski at even strength.

You act like a five assist game is easy against the Colorado Avalanche, then why doesn’t Joe Thornton score five assists against them every game?

You don’t have to downplay Barzal because we don’t have him. He’s scoring a point a game, he’s the Isles’ best possession player, and he’s a 20 year old center. Players like Alex Chiasson who come out of nowhere and have hot starts to their rookie seasons, those guys you worry about being a flash in the pan. A guy with a long history of elite production like Barzal? Come on man.
Fun fact, Thornton has never had a 5 assist game.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fun fact, Thornton has never had a 5 assist game.

Are you sure about that? There have been an awful lot of trash teams in the West over the past decade and I’ve been lead to believe that getting five assists in a game is actually pretty easy if you’re 20 years old and playing a bad team.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I guess in other news, Stalock had a pretty good season in the AHL last season and having a decent start as the backup in Minnesota. Props to him.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Werenski was the one I thought the Sharks should trade up and get as well. It would have been more likely than Hanifin. However, there was some replies back on this board that it's not wise to use high draft picks for defensemen.

If Heed and Ryan continue to develop, we'll talk about Werenski or Hanifin even less, and more so about Barzal. It's up to Meier to shutdown our talk on him vs Barzal in the draft.

I do believe that Islanders was a great fit for Barzal, and his stats show that. But I also believe that it would have been, equally so, for Meier as well. The problem with the Sharks is where do you draw the line between the player or the organization's lack of development for 1st round draft choices when assigning fault or criticism?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
jeremy-roenick2-660x372.jpg

"Well you know everybody, I played with Patty.
Great player, great hands, tremendous skill, but he was just so nonchalant.
If Patty had half as much heart as I did, he would've gotten 514 goals two years ago.

I talk more about it in my book, which you can find on Amazon or your local bookstore, please buy I get royalties."

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Oh, look. The Kings get another team on the second half of a back-to-back. *rolls eyes*
Just posted this in the Lightning thread....but it really does seem like all of the opponents in SJ are flying down to LA and playing a rested Kings team the next night. Even this weekend we host VAN sat, and then fly down to play LAK Sunday, who won’t have played since tonight. And surprise surprise....the Kings have one of if not the best home records in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad