2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Carter/Gaborik isn't the comparison to Getzlaf/Kesler. If the Kings didn't have Carter and Kopitar right now, where are they?

If Kopitar was out instead of Gaborik? Probably not leading the division but absolutely in the top 3. The Kings have played really solid defense, and guys have picked it up. Brown, Lewis, and Kempe have played extremely well. Toffoli is on a pace to match his career high and Gaborik in the 50s. Doughty is on a career pace.

My point was, if the Ducks roster was that good, they would have guys picking up the slack. SIlfverberg has regressed. Richie has stagnated at best. Perry is barely on pace to score 20 goals. On D, Lindholm has been just OK and has been trending downwards for a few years. Fowler has been meh, nowhere near worth what they paid him. Gibson has been shaky. Rakell has been the bright spot, as has Miller. Without Miller they are with Edmonton.

Some of that is due to guys playing with lesser players, but since Carter went down Toffoli picked it up. Same with Pearson, he's on pace for a 50 point career year.

I think a healthy Kings team is substantially better than a healthy Ducks team this year, no way are the Ducks near the best in the league.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
If Kopitar was out instead of Gaborik? Probably not leading the division but absolutely in the top 3. The Kings have played really solid defense, and guys have picked it up. Brown, Lewis, and Kempe have played extremely well. Toffoli is on a pace to match his career high and Gaborik in the 50s. Doughty is on a career pace.

My point was, if the Ducks roster was that good, they would have guys picking up the slack. SIlfverberg has regressed. Richie has stagnated at best. Perry is barely on pace to score 20 goals. On D, Lindholm has been just OK and has been trending downwards for a few years. Fowler has been meh, nowhere near worth what they paid him. Gibson has been shaky. Rakell has been the bright spot, as has Miller. Without Miller they are with Edmonton.

Some of that is due to guys playing with lesser players, but since Carter went down Toffoli picked it up. Same with Pearson, he's on pace for a 50 point career year.

I think a healthy Kings team is substantially better than a healthy Ducks team this year, no way are the Ducks near the best in the league.

You do know Fowler and Lindholm have also missed tons of games this year don't you? Half the team so far this year is AHL'ers. Anyone that thinks the Kings won't have their hands full getting past them this year is living in fantasyland.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Damn it, I thaught I was in the Kings board but this one seems full of Duck fans. Some King fans are the worst, never happy no matter what the team does just rush in here to ***** about something.,.,. Anything.

For the record I hate the ducks. Watching them lose is only marginally less than a kings win.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It's a real stretch to think this team would be in a playoff spot if Kopitar was out as well. People are asking if he could win the Hart but replacing him with Shore at #1C wouldn't be that big of a deal?

The Ducks will put it together and will be strong heading in to the playoffs if they can stay healthy the rest of the season once they get all of their big guns back.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Ducks have insane center depth when healthy: Getzlaf-Kesler-Henrique-Vermette

Then you have Rakell who can also play C. They're going to be scary when healthy.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You do know Fowler and Lindholm have also missed tons of games this year don't you? Half the team so far this year is AHL'ers. Anyone that thinks the Kings won't have their hands full getting past them this year is living in fantasyland.

Yea, they've both missed time. Lindholm has been regressing the last 3 seasons, really, he's just continuing that into this season. He doesn't look nearly as good as he did his first 2 years in the league. Fowler is similar to Muzzin minus a little offense. Prone to defensive lapses and is struggling with that again this year. Just like Jake, his team does well at even strength yet they end up with negative numbers.

The way the Kings are playing, and adding Carter, I don't think any team in the west beats them in a series. I think the only spot the Ducks are better than the Kings this year is winger, and even that's a wash. They are both close at center, the Ducks have a lot of those.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

The Ducks aren't that far from a top 3 spot in the Pacific. Hopefully we don't have to find out if the Kings could manage better without both Kopitar and Carter.

Kopitar and Carter = Getzlaf and Kesler?

Just because the roles are identical doesn't mean the values are.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Are Getzlaf and Kesler not legitimate #1 and #2 centers on any team in the league? They're not fake well there's 31 teams so 31 #1 centers kind of legitimate. In any realistic scenario, they would be a #1 or #2 anywhere. No reason to downplay what they do, or how good they are as players.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Ducks aren't that far from a top 3 spot in the Pacific. Hopefully we don't have to find out if the Kings could manage better without both Kopitar and Carter.

Amen to that

I don't think Perry has come back since the first, BTW. Looked like he might have twisted a knee or something. It looked pretty harmless to me, but you never know.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Are Getzlaf and Kesler not legitimate #1 and #2 centers on any team in the league? They're not fake well there's 31 teams so 31 #1 centers kind of legitimate. In any realistic scenario, they would be a #1 or #2 anywhere. No reason to downplay what they do, or how good they are as players.

I'm not saying they aren't legitimate #1 and 2 centers, but not all are created equal.

Is Getzlaf just as valuable as McDavid? Is Kopitar as valuable as McDavid? All three are legit #1 centers. What about Jonathan Toews? Derek Stepan?

Identical roles =/= identical value

I'm not saying the Ducks aren't legit suffering from major injuries, but losing Kopitar + Carter is much more damaging than losing Getzlaf + Kesler

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Getzlaf, Kesler, Kopitar, Carter, all great players. You can lose one, but you can't lose both. Not much point to putting these guys on a scale. They're all super important to their teams.

It's hard to understate the importance of injuries to the success of a team during a season. If you rack up a bunch of man-games lost to injury to key players, you're going to struggle. Why is Tampa Bay so much better this year than last? It's not like they rebuilt the team. The Lightning simply lost so many good players that they couldn't recover and missed the playoffs.

Ducks have a big hole to climb out of. They lead the man-games lost by a country mile right now.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm not saying they aren't legitimate #1 and 2 centers, but not all are created equal.

Is Getzlaf just as valuable as McDavid? Is Kopitar as valuable as McDavid? All three are legit #1 centers. What about Jonathan Toews? Derek Stepan?

Identical roles =/= identical value

I'm not saying the Ducks aren't legit suffering from major injuries, but losing Kopitar + Carter is much more damaging than losing Getzlaf + Kesler

The Kings example would be more damaging as the Kings definitely don't have the depth to overcome that. Ducks would not be in as bad of a spot if they weren't also losing a ton of other guys along with those two.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Amen to that

I don't think Perry has come back since the first, BTW. Looked like he might have twisted a knee or something. It looked pretty harmless to me, but you never know.
Week to week. Of course a Matt Greene type week to week would be season ending.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Really liked what Stevens had to say about Iafallo, especially about not being intimidated. Feels like the kind of guy who has ice in his veins and could come up big in playoff situations:

"On what Alex Iafallo has done to remain a fixture on the top line:
Alex is one of those guys, he just brings a lot of things that maybe don’t show up on the stat sheet that make the line effective. I think he’s a really tenacious forechecker, he gets in on the forecheck, he’s got a really good stick, he breaks up a lot of plays, he’s got good hands, he can make plays. He hasn’t produced offensively like I think he will over time, but I think there are so many ingredients on the line that we like that it’s been hard to take him off the line. They like playing with him, but we as a staff liked what it brings to the line. He’s a very responsible guy, but he’s not intimidated by playing with star players, and he’s the same player there as when we move him down. There’s been lots to like about his game, and it’s the little things that complement the line that is the reason he stayed there. [Reporter: Is it fair to say he’s been a relatively nice surprise for you this year? Someone that kind of came out of nowhere?] I think everybody in the organization liked him when they signed him, you’re just not sure if it translates or how quickly it translates. Some players, it takes longer, some players get intimidated by the situation of playing at this level, but he looked really good in the summer development camp, he looked really good in rookie camp. We got a chance to get eyes on him a little more when we got back from China, and he continued to impress, and we all felt he deserved to make our hockey team. Just every challenge we put in front of him, he seemed to continue to pass and impress. To say we were ‘surprised,’ we were surprised – we didn’t know him that well – but I think the organization deserves a lot of credit for doing their homework."

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
More Evander Kane smoke.
200.gif

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Alex Iafallo and Adrian Kempe were on NHL Network today.

"Alex Iafallo needs to take a chill pill."

-- said no one ever

Iafallo IS the ultimate chill pill.

Reactions: KingTrouty

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Game #1,000 for Gaborik tonight. Game #997 tonight for Brown. Completely forgot he was that close to 1,000. Looks like Brown will be doing it at home next Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad