2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Iafallo as a bottom-sixer is a terrifying prospect for opponents. Give him anyone that can finish, and that line will be deadly.

Maybe a few shifts with Toffoli are in order just to see if there is any chemistry?

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Weird to say that after a putrid year last year. And the fact that we can say that makes me give props to blake.

we'll see about the new regime. so far so good, but it's a long way till june and they'll have a lot of opportunities to make mistakes, one way or another. still, the main fight is on the ice, and lak got some serious firepower there. the window is open now.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Iafallo works better on the top line, Gaborik can finish but he has trouble cycling against top opposition. Let Gaborik try to feed on lower lines, and then if you want to try to boost scoring in later periods you can move him up.

I agree with that. Not sure I want Gaborik as a permanent fixture up there but it was nice for a late game mix up. Having the OPTION is fantastic.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe a few shifts with Toffoli are in order just to see if there is any chemistry?

I was just thinking of that a little bit as well because I'd like to see Iafallo a bit less deferential. Remember an OT earlier this year when he was dictating the play.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I am very happy with how Blake filled out the roster. Beyond my expectations. No panic trades. Giving the prospects a cup of coffee in the NHL is a nice move.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Bettman just said he expects the cap next year to be in the $78-$82 million range. His preference is for the low end due to escrow.

We can expect Doughty to get around $11 million if the cap goes up that much.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Bettman just said he expects the cap next year to be in the $78-$82 million range. His preference is for the low end due to escrow.

We can expect Doughty to get around $11 million if the cap goes up that much.
Sadly escrow won't go down at least much. As more teams spend to the cap it goes up. And 20 teams are within 5M of the cap this year. And all but 3 are within 8M.
It's a flaw in how players think they should get paid. They negotiate their contracts off the cap but they are paid off the midpoint. So in reality anything less than 15% is a bonus for the players. And the agents know this and I'd bet the players do as well. But it plays well to the fans to cry about the escrow amount.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There's Rob Blake, sitting on his hands, doing nothing again.

DQjRvd3V4AECKZz.jpg:large

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
FYI, Kehler is a right catching goalie.

Some info on him:
Portland Winterhawks Goalie Cole Kehler Is The Hero Of The Season
Portland has a fairly traditional system for goalie development: the backup player is usually on the younger side of the league’s age range and develops his game alongside a more seasoned starter, eventually “graduating” into the starting position when his counterpart moves on. Kehler, now 19, had his contract traded to the Winterhawks from the Kamloops Blazers, who had him as a backup for two seasons before he was sent to the Merritt Centennials of the BCHL for a season. The trade slotted Kehler to back up Michael Bullion after the departure of Adin Hill (who himself was recently called up to the NHL, incidentally). Bullion was traded to the Medicine Hat Tigers at the beginning of January, however, and Kehler has taken on a lot of responsibility in a short amount of time. Within only a few weeks of becoming the starter, he was boasting a .910 save percentage and named WHL Goalie of the Week after a thrilling 46 saves in one game on Jan 27. Now Kehler is the seasoned veteran with a rookie counterpart in 17-year-old Shane Farkas.

The real mark of quality in Kehler’s performance has been his endurance, especially coupled with the sometimes undisciplined defensive positioning from his skaters. His save percentage stays in the mid-90s in almost every game wherein he faces over 40 shots on goal, which has happened more than it should. The 200-pound, 6-foot-4 Canadian has had 14 games this season where he saw over 40 shots on goal, and as high as 54. That is staggering. Fifty-four shots at him in one night, and he had 51 saves and the win.

An amazing sniper who can nail the back of the net from the blue line will always be a fan favorite, but Cole Kehler is a definite hero and the recent uptick in wins and league positioning for the Hawks are direct results of his abilities. It’s likely he will get a brief respite in the coming days, with the rest of the season to finish and Farkas likely to take some time in the net before the playoffs. If the team’s performance patterns are any indication, he will need all the rest he can get. I don’t know if Kehler’s efforts in goal alone will keep Portland afloat in a four-game series against a team as nimble as the Everett Silvertips. While the Hawks’ offense can compete with any team in the Western Conference, it’s that sluggish backcheck and chaos in the defensive zone that caused Everett to sweep them in the first round last year. The good news is that the Portland net has someone as prepared and conditioned for playoffs as Cole Kehler protecting it.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
NHL revenues, salary cap projected to rise
If the NHLPA doesn't trigger any growth factor, the cap is projected to rise to $78 million. A 2.5 percent inflator leads to a projected cap of $80 million and a five percent inflator results in a projected $82 million cap. The growth factor can be anywhere from 0-5 percent. For 2017-18, a growth factor of 1.6 percent raised the salary cap from $73 to $75 million.

An $82 million cap would be the largest season-to-season rise in the salary cap since it was instituted for the 2005-06 season. The cap rose $6.4 million from 2007-08 to the 2008-09 season ($50.3 million to $56.7 million).

Reactions: KingTrouty

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If the cap went to $82M, the Kings could trade Muzzin or Martinez for futures and sign Karlsson to play with Doughty. I say do it!

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
If the cap went to $82M, the Kings could trade Muzzin or Martinez for futures and sign Karlsson to play with Doughty. I say do it!
could you imagine having like $20-24M on the blue line between 2 players.. this cap stuff is gonna get out of control sooner rather than later

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
we could use the defensive stalwart that is derek forbort to prop up karlsson, macD with doty

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
After Karlsson's play last year and now this one the negative narratives are becoming simply petty and show clear bias. Anyone watch even a single playoff game last year? I get how frustrating it is dealing with the regular Doughty<>Karlsson debates.

This year:
55.5 Corsi with a CF% Rel of 9.5 (Absurd)
54.9 Fenwick with a FF% Rel of 8.4
15 TkA - 20 GvA

For sake of comparison: Doughty
52.7 Corsi with a CF% Rel of 4.8
51.3 Fenwick with a FF% Rel of 2.1
4 TkA - 30 GvA (This is a serious issue)

Karlsson right now would likely win Norris again if the season ended today. Multiple articles have just that prediction too including one posted just today by ESPN (Worst of the various sources predicting such). Even after going 10 games without a point still right there in the top 3 for points come defenders. Also plays on a much worse team that completely revolves and sinks/swims based upon his play. He is the sole defender who can easily be argued over Drew as the best in the game. Also the sole defender who can be argued against the likes of McDavid, Crosby, etc. Now I love Doughty and feel he fits our team better. If you had the chance to pair the two you do and figure the CAP out later. When Pronger-Niedermayer, Bourque-Blake, Chelios-Suter, Rafalski-Lidstrom, etc came together they all went to win cup(s) and majority all in the first year they got together.

Can put really anyone with either and they will excel so easy to save CAP there. Doughty+Karlsson+anyone >>> Doughty+Martinez+Muzzin

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
After Karlsson's play last year and now this one the negative narratives are becoming simply petty and show clear bias. Anyone watch even a single playoff game last year? I get how frustrating it is dealing with the regular Doughty<>Karlsson debates.

This year:
55.5 Corsi with a CF% Rel of 9.5 (Absurd)
54.9 Fenwick with a FF% Rel of 8.4
15 TkA - 20 GvA

For sake of comparison: Doughty
52.7 Corsi with a CF% Rel of 4.8
51.3 Fenwick with a FF% Rel of 2.1
4 TkA - 30 GvA (This is a serious issue)

Karlsson right now would likely win Norris again if the season ended today. Multiple articles have just that prediction too including one posted just today by ESPN (Worst of the various sources predicting such). Even after going 10 games without a point still right there in the top 3 for points come defenders. Also plays on a much worse team that completely revolves and sinks/swims based upon his play. He is the sole defender who can easily be argued over Drew as the best in the game. Also the sole defender who can be argued against the likes of McDavid, Crosby, etc. Now I love Doughty and feel he fits our team better. If you had the chance to pair the two you do and figure the CAP out later. When Pronger-Niedermayer, Bourque-Blake, Chelios-Suter, Rafalski-Lidstrom, etc came together they all went to win cup(s) and majority all in the first year they got together.

Can put really anyone with either and they will excel so easy to save CAP there. Doughty+Karlsson+anyone >>> Doughty+Martinez+Muzzin

Im sorry but relying solely on numbers is misleading. heck, a few seasons ago based on the game numbers you just posted some people were debating if Muzzin was actually better than Doughty??? Look, Karlsson is the best offensive defenseman in the game but his defense(mind you that's what a Dman should do) is subpar compared to Doughty... Drew Doughty is the most balanced defenseman in the league meaning he is the best all around defenseman... Oh and come playoffs, Doughty has dominated them twice..
As for your assessment that Doughty+Karlsson+anybody>>>> Doughty+Muzzin+Martinez, you are correct however i'd rather spread that money out and go Doughty($11)+Muzzin($4)+Carlson($7)+Chara($4)+kids>>>Doughty+Karlsson+paperweights...

Reactions: KingTrouty

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
those numbers are cool but his defense has been ass. i think a kings fan of all people should understand corsi doesn't mean everything after watching last season

watch as the norris winner puckwatches and loses not one, but 2 of his men:

also watch as he gently caresses dustin brown's back instead of boxing out or making any sort of defensive play:

can't really fault him for iafallo's goal though, so he's got that going for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad