2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
If we get Voynov back at some point...move Forbort to clear up his 2.5 or whatever cap space. Sign a 3rd line center.(Bozak,Ryan,Thornton)

Kempe-Kopitar-Carter
Pearson-Vilardi-Toffoli
Iafallo-UFA-Brown
Rieder/Clifford-Amadio/Thompson-Lewis-

Muzzin-Doughty
Martinez-Voynov
Phaneuf-Ladue/Brickley

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Phaneuf @ $5.25 million is too much to pay for a 3rd pairing guy.

Do we know if the kings agreed to pick up Phaneuf's NMC? Since he waived it to come to LA, it's no longer in effect unless the kings agreed to honor it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I know we previously discussed ROR around here, but I didn't see anyone post this more recent bit from Bobby Mac:
“There’s no question in my mind that the Sabres are open for business. My sense is that after the exit interviews were done with the Sabres, I think they realized they really need to make some changes to their core. I hate to use the term “culture change” because I think it’s such an over-used cliche, but I do believe it applies in this instance, that there does need to be a culture change in Buffalo. So I think they’re all ears on just about anybody not named Jack Eichel or Rasmus Dahlin. I suppose that’s a little bit hyperbole, I mean it always is when you say “they’re listening on everybody”—it’s not a fire sale.

In my view, the player that is most likely to be moved is veteran center Ryan O’Reilly. Now in some ways mentioning him first after mentioning “culture change” that’s probably not fair to him. Because it sort of implies that he’s at the root of everything wrong with the Buffalo Sabres, and the Sabres’ culture of losing and that’s not entirely true, in fact it may not be true at all. But he’s a core guy, and if you’re going to effect a culture change, you need to move core guys. It’s as simple as that.”
The price for ROR would probably be too much IMO, but he would make a great 2nd/3rd line center.

If I was Blake, I would inquire about the price of Buffalo's 2019 1st round pick unprotected. I get the feeling that with the addition of Dahlin, Buffalo management thinks the team will take a big step forward this year and be in the mix of a Wild Card spot. If that's true, they might be willing to part with the pick for the defenseman+ that they need. This would be a major blunder IMO, as that pick will probably turn out to be top 5 again.

Reactions: KingTrouty

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I know we previously discussed ROR around here, but I didn't see anyone post this more recent bit from Bobby Mac:

The price for ROR would probably be too much IMO, but he would make a great 2nd/3rd line center.

If I was Blake, I would inquire about the price of Buffalo's 2019 1st round pick unprotected. I get the feeling that with the addition of Dahlin, Buffalo management thinks the team will take a big step forward this year and be in the mix of a Wild Card spot. If that's true, they might be willing to part with the pick for the defenseman+ that they need. This would be a major blunder IMO, as that pick will probably turn out to be top 5 again.
How does an ROR with Buffalo retaining $1 million for Muzzin plus trade sound? Muzzin is the kind of player that Buffalo could use to guide Dahlin along his development. A two time Stanley Cup winner would be a great “culture-changer” for them. The Kings would deal from a position of strength.

If the kings acquired O’Reilly, they could move Carter to Kopitar’s wing.

What would the Kings add?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
How does an ROR with Buffalo retaining $1 million for Muzzin plus trade sound? Muzzin is the kind of player that Buffalo could use to guide Dahlin along his development. A two time Stanley Cup winner would be a great “culture-changer” for them. The Kings would deal from a position of strength.

With Doughty raise and possibly Voynov back...the kings can't bring in a $6m player. Need a younger cost controlled winger + more for Muzzin. If your looking at Buffalo as a trade partner...look at Sam Reinhart or Alex Nylander

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

They want what Philly got for Richards apparently.

So Vilardi, Kempe, 2nd round pick. Hard pass on that.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I'm hoping we go after Rick Nash July 1st. He'll have to take a pay cut to come here but that's also because he only had 34 points last season.

21 goals last season, 23 the season before both in 60 game seasons. Last time he played close to a full season he had 42 goals in 2015. I'm intrigued how'd he play with an elite center like Kopitar.

Great signing an old winger who has not been able to stay healthy for years all while getting slower in a fast league. I don’t see how this would backfire in our face. No thanks to Nash from this fan.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles

No way Buffalo trades their 2019 first. They have a lot of work to do.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Beats “shooting percentage.”

I was taught to use facts when you form an argument. Nash was 71-21-13-34 and a minus 12, 230 sog, 365 shot attempts, 9.1 shooting percentage, 17:03 atoi, 51 hits, 42 blocks, 58 takeaways, 38 giveaways, 33 years old. Vanek was 80-24-32-56 and a minus 3, 168 sog, 266 shot attempts, 14:05 atoi, 36 hits, 18 blocks, 28 takeaways, 35 giveaways. Please grace me with the knowledge of how Nash is a better hockey player than Vanek.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I was taught to use facts when you form an argument. Nash was 71-21-13-34 and a minus 12, 230 sog, 365 shot attempts, 9.1 shooting percentage, 17:03 atoi, 51 hits, 42 blocks, 58 takeaways, 38 giveaways, 33 years old. Vanek was 80-24-32-56 and a minus 3, 168 sog, 266 shot attempts, 14:05 atoi, 36 hits, 18 blocks, 28 takeaways, 35 giveaways. Please grace me with the knowledge of how Nash is a better hockey player than Vanek.

I kinda never said he was. But thank you for rolling out the numbers. You sure showed me(?). Here I was concerned that, by initially citing shooting percentage as a metric for championing a guy nicknamed Thomas Vanish, you had a marginal grasp of what you were talking about.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I kinda never said he was. But thank you for rolling out the numbers. You sure showed me(?). Here I was concerned that, by initially citing shooting percentage as a metric for championing a guy nicknamed Thomas Vanish, you had a marginal grasp of what you were talking about.

You're welcome, if you need me to explain what a toe curve is or how the flex on a stick works let me know. With a name like Vanish seems like he's even more of a perfect fit in LA and their potent lineup of feared playoff warriors scoring top shelf goals and exciting the crowds with Datsuyk-like behind the back tape to tape passes. I'm now sold on him, thanks.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
A Voynov return means you could explore moving Muzzin and or Martinez. You could also explore moving Toffoli depending on who you got for either Defenseman.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Nash & Vanek will be 34 when the season starts.

There were only 2 players in the entire NHL aged 34+ that scored 20 or more goals this season.

With guys like that, you're not asking them to be the savior. You just want them to be depth.

If you're not getting Tavares, and don't want to see the kind of valuable assets go that would need to be dealt to get a forward with some actual skill, then you go for the cheap free agent that fills a specific need. Not that it needs to be Nash or Vanek, but if it's a 1 year deal, it ultimately doesn't matter too much on who it is. No harm, no foul really.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
With guys like that, you're not asking them to be the savior. You just want them to be depth.

If you're not getting Tavares, and don't want to see the kind of valuable assets go that would need to be dealt to get a forward with some actual skill, then you go for the cheap free agent that fills a specific need. Not that it needs to be Nash or Vanek, but if it's a 1 year deal, it ultimately doesn't matter too much on who it is. No harm, no foul really.
I agree. That's why I liked the Cammalleri signing. It was worth a try. Zero risk. If we don't have any better options, sign Vanek/Nash to a 1 year deal.

I'm just pointing out the chances of them being productive are pretty low. Even I was surprised that only two players aged 34+ scored 20 goals last year (Marleau and Sedin).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
These are all the UFA's that scored 20+ goals last year:

1. John Tavares New York Islanders UFA 27 C Left 81 36 47 83
2. James van Riemsdyk Toronto Maple Leafs UFA 29 LW Left 80 36 18 54
3. Evander Kane San Jose Sharks UFA 26 LW Left 77 29 25 54
4. Michael Grabner New Jersey Devils UFA 30 RW, LW Left 79 27 9 36
5. James Neal Vegas Golden Knights UFA 30 LW, RW Left 70 25 19 44
6. Thomas Vanek Columbus Blue Jackets UFA 34 LW, RW Right 79 24 32 56
7. Rick Nash Boston Bruins UFA 33 LW, RW Left 71 21 13 34

Reactions: KingTrouty