2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What a weird thing to be sour on. It was his first professional season on North American ice. I'm not saying that as an excuse, but to say that he can get more acclimated to the North American style, which is possible cause he did well in the playoffs.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So $350k if he's sent down? Still quite a bit of money for minor league production, but that would add to the chance of not having a spot to lose yet.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Didn't realize retaining a spare defenseman near the league minimum contract would cause such an uproar. With a healthy lineup, do you really expect Fantenberg to be playing top 4 minutes?

Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Phaneuf and Forbort are locks as far as the top 5 guys. Who that #6 will be is TBD with Folin likely walking as a UFA. Of course, I'd prefer to see Folin back, or for LaDue to prove himself, or Slava Voynov is cleared to play, but those are all uncertainties.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Didn't realize retaining a spare defenseman near the league minimum contract would cause such an uproar. With a healthy lineup, do you really expect Fantenberg to be playing top 4 minutes?

Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Phaneuf and Forbort are locks as far as the top 5 guys. Who that #6 will be is TBD with Folin likely walking as a UFA. Of course, I'd prefer to see Folin back, or for LaDue to prove himself, or Slava Voynov is cleared to play, but those are all uncertainties.

Right? Why is depth a bad thing?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Good signing. You want to have multiple guys battling in camp for the 6th and 7th dman spots, you don't want to just give the spots away. Looks like it will be between Fantenberg, Ladue and Brickley.

I could see them adding another borderline NHL defensemen to the mix as well, unless Voynov really is coming back.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I mean, this board is pretty well losing its mind over Dominik Kubalik, so I expect depths-of-the-offseason reactions to pretty much everything at this point.

Fantenberg played one really inexplicable game amazingly as a top-pairing d-man and the remainder of his career as Jamie McBain. He's pretty much a nonfactor signing.

Reactions: Reaper45

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The worst case scenario already happened last month when the Kings’ defense was so depleted that Fantenberg had to play top pairing minutes in a double overtime game. Why wouldn’t we want a guy who can step up like that? Happy he’s back!

In 2012-13, Keaton Ellerby played five games in the playoffs. In 2015-16, Luke Schenn and Jamie McBain formed our bottom pair. Oscar is better than all three of them.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Good signing. You want to have multiple guys battling in camp for the 6th and 7th dman spots, you don't want to just give the spots away. Looks like it will be between Fantenberg, Ladue and Brickley.

I could see them adding another borderline NHL defensemen to the mix as well, unless Voynov really is coming back.

With the signed guys and RFA's, they have 16 defensemen. 17 if you include Moverare, who turns 20 in August. That doesn't include Walker, who led the Reign in defense scoring this year. Will Steve Johnson get a contract before August? Even if they don't qualify Subban, that's still a lot of signed defensemen. MacD and Lintuniemi are also RFA's. It'll depend on who they qualify, but right now they have more than 2 full rosters.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Funny you always see the same people talk crap about Fantenberg.

Say all the **** you want about him and point out every mistake he makes. Ladue never ever played as good as Fantenberg was at his best.

Brickley, one ******* assist and one NHL game and people label him as second pairing defenseman already.

Its all about the good old US boys again.

What a weird thing to be sour on. It was his first professional season on North American ice. I'm not saying that as an excuse, but to say that he can get more acclimated to the North American style, which is possible cause he did well in the playoffs.
Never thought i would agree with you but it has happened.

Its seriously a weird thing to be sour on. You got to wonder what Fantenberg has done wrong to some.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Funny you always see the same people talk crap about Fantenberg.

Say all the **** you want about him and point out every mistake he makes. Ladue never ever played as good as Fantenberg was at his best.

Brickley, one ******* assist and one NHL game and people label him as second pairing defenseman already.

Its all about the good old US boys again.

Never thought i would agree with you but it has happened.

Its seriously a weird thing to be sour on. You got to wonder what Fantenberg has done wrong to some.

Frolov, you had some good criticism going on, but come on, it isn't a nationality bash. Don't go there.

It's not sour to proclaim him a thus-far bottom pairing d-man of which there are plenty of NHL redundancies. Maybe he has some major upside, and we saw a bit of it in Game 2 to be sure, but right now he hasn't done much to distinguish himself from the other dudes you're crapping on.

Hell McNabb showed much more than Fantenberg had and many around here couldn't wait for him to get shot into orbit, how's that for good ol North American favoritism?

Last edited:

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
LaDue's also an RFA so can't pencil him in next year's roster. I hope they re-sign him.
Perhaps the Kings chose between Fantenberg and Gravel to sign and if that's the case, I agree with their choice.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I'm hoping we go after Rick Nash July 1st. He'll have to take a pay cut to come here but that's also because he only had 34 points last season.

21 goals last season, 23 the season before both in 60 game seasons. Last time he played close to a full season he had 42 goals in 2015. I'm intrigued how'd he play with an elite center like Kopitar.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm hoping we go after Rick Nash July 1st. He'll have to take a pay cut to come here but that's also because he only had 34 points last season.

21 goals last season, 23 the season before both in 60 game seasons. Last time he played close to a full season he had 42 goals in 2015. I'm intrigued how'd he play with an elite center like Kopitar.
He's what 33-34?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Frolov, you had some good criticism going on, but come on, it isn't a nationality bash. Don't go there.

It's not sour to proclaim him a thus-far bottom pairing d-man of which there are plenty of NHL redundancies. Maybe he has some major upside, and we saw a bit of it in Game 2 to be sure, but right now he hasn't done much to distinguish himself from the other dudes you're crapping on.

Hell McNabb showed much more than Fantenberg had and many around here couldn't wait for him to get shot into orbit, how's that for good ol North American favoritism?
I had a weak moment, sorry.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

He has slower foot speed than Phanuef and Forbort combined! Not the guy to go after

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Nash & Vanek will be 34 when the season starts.

There were only 2 players in the entire NHL aged 34+ that scored 20 or more goals this season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bob McKenzie discussed Jeff Skinner on his latest podcast and indicated the Kings are interested (which Elliotte Friedman has also reported).

He also believes the cost to acquire Skinner won’t be exorbitant, given that he is in control of his destiny with a NMC in addition to him being one year away from becoming a UFA.

Andreoff for Skinner. E4.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Bob McKenzie discussed Jeff Skinner on his latest podcast and indicated the Kings are interested (which Elliotte Friedman has also reported).

He also believes the cost to acquire Skinner won’t be exorbitant, given that he is in control of his destiny with a NMC in addition to him being one year away from becoming a UFA.

Andreoff for Skinner. E4.

Do you think if we just referred to andreoff as "AA" that it might confuse the canes brass and fans into thinking that they were getting someone else?

Reactions: KingTrouty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad