2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Mersch is a bottom six player in the NHL. He isn't talented enough to be a top sixer. King succeeded because his game fit on the Kings third line. Mersch is a good AHL player, not a good NHL player.

King never succeed at anything and he played more on the top 2 lines then on the 3rd line Go look at his time on ice It is higher then Gaborik or Pearson in over 60 games. The only time imo King was effective is when he was limited to 3rd line mins. If he was successful at top 6 mins he might still be in the nhl but as he is now in the khl and still not lighting it up I will stand by my he wasn't effective period.

Now as far as Mersch is concern he may never get to be the top 6 player now because of a injury and others passing him by However when King was playing top 6 mins most nights I stand by my idea he was a better option. He was faster then King and showed he could score in the dirty areas. I think he would have helped the pp which was one of the kings biggest weakness over the past couple of seasons. Some talent also raises there game in the nhl vs ahl (Kempe perfect example) Whos to say with more mins he wouldn't have found his niche beside kopitar or Carter His biggest weakness is his speed and i would put serious money on him in a race vs King. Mersch was never given a fair shot to make this team The kings felt they didn't have time to give him which is fine but to try and pin anything on Futa is a huge mistake imo.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Mersch was given plenty of opportunities. You act as if the game is the only venue where opportunities can be seized. There's training camp, practice, etc.

You think King didn't stand out in any of those venues? I guarantee you Sutter liked what he saw of King in practice. King was a better NHL player than Mersch will ever be.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well, no. DL is hands down the best GM this team has ever had, and we ALL thought the team culture had turned the corner when we won 2 Cups. The Kings had just won 2 Cups in 3 years - the years of playoffs / Cups were ours for the taking. But they obviously just got hot at the exact right time.

As the wings were about to end their 25 year playoff run, the Kings were just starting their own playoff appearance run, right?? Not so fast.... reality hits pretty hard when you're just fighting for #8 year after year.

You're right. Montreal won a division title last season. Let's swap personnel with them.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
King never succeed at anything and he played more on the top 2 lines then on the 3rd line Go look at his time on ice It is higher then Gaborik or Pearson in over 60 games. The only time imo King was effective is when he was limited to 3rd line mins. If he was successful at top 6 mins he might still be in the nhl but as he is now in the khl and still not lighting it up I will stand by my he wasn't effective period.

This has been addressed multiple times.

Pearson played with Carter and Toffoli. The second line. Saying King played on the top two lines more than Pearson for over 60 games is false. Unless you want to argue that Carter is a 3rd line center? At best, King would get shifts with Kopitar, just like everyone else.

Now as far as Mersch is concern he may never get to be the top 6 player now because of a injury and others passing him by However when King was playing top 6 mins most nights I stand by my idea he was a better option. He was faster then King and showed he could score in the dirty areas. I think he would have helped the pp which was one of the kings biggest weakness over the past couple of seasons. Some talent also raises there game in the nhl vs ahl (Kempe perfect example) Whos to say with more mins he wouldn't have found his niche beside kopitar or Carter His biggest weakness is his speed and i would put serious money on him in a race vs King. Mersch was never given a fair shot to make this team The kings felt they didn't have time to give him which is fine but to try and pin anything on Futa is a huge mistake imo.

Mersch is the slowest player in the organization, and slower than King. King also played the penalty kill, which isn't Mersch's strong suit.

I agree that Mersch's lack of success can't be pinned on Futa, but if Mersch was an NHL ready talent right now, someone would have picked him up on waivers when he was sent to the AHL.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Mersch was given plenty of opportunities. You act as if the game is the only venue where opportunities can be seized. There's training camp, practice, etc.

You think King didn't stand out in any of those venues? I guarantee you Sutter liked what he saw of King in practice. King was a better NHL player than Mersch will ever be.

IN order to get the results players need to be in situations that will help them succeed. Playing mersch under 10 mins with bottom 6 linemate is not putting him in situations he will succeed in period. He was succeeding in the ahl playing top 6 mins with skilled players. Training camp he played better then King even scored a pp goal or two again playing less time on ice. The preseason game he scored he was with better players on pp If ur only going to play him less then 10 mins and with less skill there is no point.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
This has been addressed multiple times.

Pearson played with Carter and Toffoli. The second line. Saying King played on the top two lines more than Pearson for over 60 games is false. Unless you want to argue that Carter is a 3rd line center? At best, King would get shifts with Kopitar, just like everyone else.

Mersch is the slowest player in the organization, and slower than King. King also played the penalty kill, which isn't Mersch's strong suit.

I agree that Mersch's lack of success can't be pinned on Futa, but if Mersch was an NHL ready talent right now, someone would have picked him up on waivers when he was sent to the AHL.

1. Again as i have said multiple time go back and look at how much time he played in a game and who his shifts were with and u will see he played with Kopitar or Carter more then Stoll or Fraser or whoever played 3c at the time. He played more mins then Pearson in the games and some time played more then Gaborik in games. To me that is saying he played top 6 mins simple as that. Yes there might have been times in the game that pearson and toffoli played with Carter and Gaborik played with kopitar and brown but at the end of the game King had more ice time then one of gaborik or Pearson so to me that its logical to say he played top 6 mins. Think how u like but the mins are the real proof to me of how he actually played.

Mersch is not slower then King and most reign fans have stated hes slightly faster with better hands. He also has/had a knack of going to the dirty areas to get goal Something King never did. He has had a leg injury that has slowed down his career but before this injury i believe he was a better choice for the mins king got. Hell at worse he would have been the same scoring rate and at least cheaper cap and letting us spend the difference elsewhere. He never got a chance to see one way or another is all im trying to say. We had better option that the kings didn't trust enough to even try. Again this is why i say none of this can be blamed on Futa

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
If King ranks 7th or 8th in forward TOI, he’s not a top sixer.

Didn’t need a wall of text to say it either.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If King ranks 7th or 8th in forward TOI, he’s not a top sixer.

Didn’t need a wall of text to say it either.
then go look the actual stats say hes ahead of Gaborik and/ pearson in more games then not (also ahead of clifford ) and there are only 4 lws on the team So hes was playing top 6 mins on the left side. If rw or center play more mins it had nothing to do with King playing top 6 mins on the left side period As long has he plays more mins then one of Gaborik or Pearson (as well as clifford) he played top six mins period

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Better trade Carter. Making too much money to be centering the 3rd line.

Plus Pearson's TOI/gm has been higher than King for the past couple seasons. But let's keep ignoring that.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Better trade Carter. Making too much money to be centering the 3rd line.

Plus Pearson's TOI/gm has been higher than King for the past couple seasons. But let's keep ignoring that.
wtf are you nattering about Carter for he has nothing to do with this conversation. He played top 6 mins not bottom six. Again go look at the ice time of both Gaborik and Pearson in at least 60 of the 82 game Kings toi beats one of them He played more top 6 min then bottom 6 Its a fact go look it up for urself

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don’t understand this love affair for Futa. Outside of the slam dunk top five picks, the Kings drafting has been spotty over the past decade. A lot of that falls on Futa.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
wtf are you nattering about Carter for he has nothing to do with this conversation. He played top 6 mins not bottom six. Again go look at the ice time of both Gaborik and Pearson in at least 60 of the 82 game Kings toi beats one of them He played more top 6 min then bottom 6 Its a fact go look it up for urself
Are you taking into account Kings sh ice time?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

If I remember correctly, when Sutter was hired he went to Manchester to watch a few games before joining the Kings. He told Lombardi he wanted Nolan and King to join the team. He also played them with Richards for a few games right when they came up.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don’t understand this love affair for Futa. Outside of the slam dunk top five picks, the Kings drafting has been spotty over the past decade. A lot of that falls on Futa.

I don’t know about that. Look at guys like Kempe, Toffoli, and Pearson for some non-blue-chip gems.

The only slam dunk top five picks we’ve even had were Doughty and Schenn, unless you’re counting the Hickey nightmare.

Current roster players drafted by the Kings:
Amadio
Andreoff
Brodzinski
Brown
Clifford
Kempe
Kopitar
Lewis
Pearson
Toffoli
Doughty
Forbort
Gravel
LaDue
Martinez
Quick

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They don't have a loss in OT since Dec 28th. That amounts to 15 consecutive losses in regulation. 8 of those 15 at home. The last 4 times they've gone to OT, it was against western teams. Twice against Vegas on home ice, and then once against Colorado and Calgary. The Avs and Flames got a point out of those games, and those points are big right now.

24-11-5 on January 3rd, for 53 points. Only 3 behind Vegas for the conference lead.

Vegas, 56
LA, 53
Winnipeg, 53
St.Louis, 52
Nashville, 51
Dallas, 47
SJ, 46
Anaheim, 46
Minnesota, 45
Chicago, 44
Colorado, 43
Calgary, 42
Edmonton, 37
Vancouver, 37
Arizona, 23

28 games later(sounds like a movie):

Nashville, 47
Minnesota, 40
Winnipeg, 38
Vegas, 37
Colorado, 37
Calgary, 36
Dallas, 35
SJ, 35
Anaheim, 34
Arizona, 30
Edmonton, 27
LA, 26
St.Louis, 25
Chicago, 22
Vancouver, 22

Pretty decent fall for the Kings and Blues. 13-15 in those 28 games. 8-11 against the West. 33 is the average point total since Jan 3rd. Just 7 more points, and the Kings are sitting pretty. Lose 7-2 at home against a team as bad as you. Lose a 3rd period lead at home against a team that's worse than you. Lose at home to Edmonton. Get blown out in Carolina. Get blown out in Vancouver. There has to be close to 7 points in those 5 games. 4 points in those 5 games and it's a lot better.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
A lot of that actually falls on DL and his preference to build from the goalie out... hence a huge run on Dmen during his early tenure. It’s also been noted that he overruled the scouting department on certain players/picks because they were similar players... Joey Ryan over Milan Lucic being the first..

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don’t know about that. Look at guys like Kempe, Toffoli, and Pearson for some non-blue-chip gems.

The only slam dunk top five picks we’ve even had were Doughty and Schenn, unless you’re counting the Hickey nightmare.

Current roster players drafted by the Kings:
Amadio
Andreoff
Brodzinski
Brown
Clifford
Kempe
Kopitar
Lewis
Pearson
Toffoli
Doughty
Forbort
Gravel
LaDue
Martinez
Quick

Kopitar, Brown, and Quick were drafted in the Taylor regime.

I give Futa credit for his good 2nd picks. Toffoli, Simmonds, Voynov, etc were all great picks. I just don’t think he’s this indispensable asset. He’s an above average scout. That’s all.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
God damn. Looking at the standings and thinking about these last two shitty Saturday games, the Kings should be second in the Pacific right now. Instead they don't even have a playoff spot. Nobody wants it, so sad. San Jose, Anaheim, LA, Calgary... It's a battle of who chokes last.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad