2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Watching Sergachyov just makes me sad, ah what could've been if it wasn't for Sakic.
Fixed that for you. I love what Sakic accomplished with the Duchene trade, but I said back in February with confidence that Bergevin would have traded Sergachev for Duchene. He may have even traded Sergachev and a small plus for Matt Duchene. Sakic wanted a crap ton off extras thrown in though. Like extras that at the time some people would have considered almost as valuable as Sergachev himself.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Every time I hear John Kelly call a game I get nostalgic. What I wouldn't give to hear another "Unbelievable!" for a MacKinnon goal.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Where are you getting this from? Or is it just speculation? Because IMO the Leafs have way more of a rivalry with Montreal and Boston than they do with Detroit. Hell, I'd argue these days they even have more of a rivalry with Ottawa and Buffalo than with Detroit, too.

Toronto's biggest rivalry is Montreal.

Historically speaking there was indeed a very intense Leafs/Wings rivalry back in the day. The whole rejiggering of conferences and what not some 20 years ago (remember when Toronto was in the West? That was weird) pretty much killed it, but I imagine if the Wings get their act together it could be reignited.

I've heard from a lot of Habs fans that they don't regard the Leafs as rivals, and never have. I'm no hockey historian but the Habs regarded both the Nordiques and Bruins as their archrivals. The Leafs and Sens certainly had some fun battles to watch in the Quinn/Martin era, but recent years have let that one slide as well.

IMO rivalries are created/reignited in the playoffs, not during the regular season. That's why, again, IMO, the Avs simply don't have a rival. That's not the same as saying they have no rival, but you get what I'm sayin'. Minnesota certainly might be the closest but it ain't there yet.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Waiting for Denver Athletic.
DNsXXq9.jpg

Reactions: Foppberg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Historically speaking there was indeed a very intense Leafs/Wings rivalry back in the day. The whole rejiggering of conferences and what not some 20 years ago (remember when Toronto was in the West? That was weird) pretty much killed it, but I imagine if the Wings get their act together it could be reignited.

I've heard from a lot of Habs fans that they don't regard the Leafs as rivals, and never have. I'm no hockey historian but the Habs regarded both the Nordiques and Bruins as their archrivals. The Leafs and Sens certainly had some fun battles to watch in the Quinn/Martin era, but recent years have let that one slide as well.

IMO rivalries are created/reignited in the playoffs, not during the regular season. That's why, again, IMO, the Avs simply don't have a rival. That's not the same as saying they have no rival, but you get what I'm sayin'. Minnesota certainly might be the closest but it ain't there yet.

I'm well aware of the past Wings/Leafs rivalry but it's about as relevant these days as the Wings/AVS rivalry. Toronto's biggest rival at the moment is Montreal. Lots of vocal Leafs fans at Habs games and vice versa.

With that said, you won't see huge rivalries like we've seen in the past. The game has changed too much. Players used to legit hate each other, now they text each other after the game and have dinner together. It's all business.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tolvanen has tied Kuznetsov's U19 KHL single season record for scoring in 5 less games. Both had 17 goals and 15 assists.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Don't know what it is about the Carolina Hurricanes who can uniquely school the league every year in shot suppression and yet their goalies always look so insanely bad. I still can't believe the first goal Darling gave up tonight.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Yep, Habs fans, especially the old ones really don't care about the Leafs all that much. Qs and Bruins were their arch rivals. I remember Big Bird saying he'd throw up before games in QC because of how tense the atmosphere was, and of course, there was the Good Friday brawl to top it all off. Bruins for long weren't much of a rival, more like a constant nuisance which was dealt with sometime swiftly, sometimes with a bit more trouble, but until Orr came along they really weren't a threat.

I see Sens as Leafs biggest rival since the realignment, everyone else kind of either wasn't relevant when the Leafs were good or the other way around.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't know what it is about the Carolina Hurricanes who can uniquely school the league every year in shot suppression and yet their goalies always look so insanely bad. I still can't believe the first goal Darling gave up tonight.

The goalies are not that good, but maybe pure shot suppression isn't the answer?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The goalies are not that good, but maybe pure shot suppression isn't the answer?

Yeah, I get that, but I don't get the impression that they're a team that cuts down on shots and then gives up some horrid scoring chance (well, ignoring that awful turnover Fleury made to Silvferberg last night). I also don't get the impression he somehow stifles offensive creativity--I just don't think it's there in the first place.

I've always believed that the first step toward building a contender is to get that 1-2 punch up the middle. Carolina is currently using Staal-Ryan-Rask. That ain't gonna cut it.

Still, it's amazing that a team that seemingly gets it right in so many areas gets it so very, very wrong in between the pipes.

Either way I suppose Peters is gonna pay the price when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad