2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
In my limited viewings, I got the sense that their forwards play to close to the blueline, which cuts down the number of shots you give up, but also means that your D is stretched more than it should be and has a soft "belly". Again, this is based on maybe 4-5 games of their I've seen.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
One game, then came back and played one of his best games. The comparables to Marchand are pretty accurate--when he focuses on hockey and not being such a ****head he's a fantastic player.
Only got one game? I don't understand DOPS... truly don't.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Only got one game? I don't understand DOPS... truly don't.

I guess under the rules as currently comprised that's about as much as they could do. I agree DOPS is wildly inconsistent, but I also think the criteria for suspensions in the first place is ridiculous. They need to completely overhaul that before we can even begin to talk about consistency.

I suppose they're getting better though. Milan Lucic deliberately speared a guy in the crotch during a playoff game and didn't get so much as a fine IIRC.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In my limited viewings, I got the sense that their forwards play to close to the blueline, which cuts down the number of shots you give up, but also means that your D is stretched more than it should be and has a soft "belly". Again, this is based on maybe 4-5 games of their I've seen.

That is exactly the case. If Carolina had 2 great defensive centers (who were also really good skaters), I think it could work pretty well... they just don't really have that right now, and it won't be easy to get either.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It also doesn't help when you anoint Scott Darling as your starter

I guess not but given the fact he put up good numbers playing for a team that's not nearly as good defensively as they used to be I guess made him a decent gamble. Sure seemed like a better bet than Cam Talbot, though I don't have their respective numbers prior to them becoming starters in front of me. And yeah, I know, Talbot's not looking good right now.

I'm guessing this offseason teams will be looking to add guys like Subban and Jarry.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That is exactly the case. If Carolina had 2 great defensive centers (who were also really good skaters), I think it could work pretty well... they just don't really have that right now, and it won't be easy to get either.
Francis should be on the phone asking about ROR non-stop and should refuse to hang up until a deal is done. Buffalo need defense and ROR has to be available.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure ROR is a good enough skater to thrive in that sort of system. If I was Francis... I'd target Kadri or Pageau. Then try to rush along Necas.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I imagine if Francis does pull off a big trade it's gonna be for a dynamic scorer. That type of player can make all the difference in the world. Radulov changed the whole shape of the Preds' offense before bolting for the KHL, then they went back to grind-it-out hockey.

Pure speculation on my part but I'm guessing a lot of the calls are asking for Skinner, Hanifin, or a package that includes both. I can see why Francis wants to wait but sooner or later he's gotta make a move.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can't see the Leafs moving Kadri if Carolina came calling. Both Bozak and JVR are off the books this coming summer (unless they re-sign one or both; I don't think either will be coming back) and he's the perfect 2C behind Matthews. He's become real good defensively, can skate, and can score.

Even if Carolina offered Justin Faulk, I'd probably say no if I'm the Leafs. I mean, unless the plan is for William Nylander to eventually become that 2C but I think Kadri is invaluable to that Leafs club.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I seriously wonder how many more games Boucher is going to get at this point. The Sens are getting roasted by the Sabres of all clubs. Somebody's head is going to have to roll for this utter collapse.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Sens are in about as bad a free-fall as we had last year. Duchene is consistent in something at least? :sarcasm:

Duchene with Avs
14 GP 4G-6A-10 PTS +1
Duchene with Sens
14 GP 2G-2A-4 PTS -11 ... in a weaker division to boot

If Sens lose bad tomorrow at home vs the Rangers, I can see Boucher canned before Saturday game vs MTL. Sens are 1-11-2 since Sweden series.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sens are in about as bad a free-fall as we had last year. Duchene is consistent in something at least? :sarcasm:

That guys confidence and self-esteem must be so far down in the trenches right now :laugh: going through what he did last year and now experiencing it for a 2nd time. Only the 2nd time is significantly worse, because the team he's with now had significantly higher aspirations then just being in the playoff race like the Avs did last year.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs free fall last year made some sense, given who were on the team. Senators free fall makes no sense. Even if they have some flaws as a team, this just shouldn't happen.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If they didn't have a game tomorrow I think Boucher would be fired in the AM. However, I think he's done by the weekend regardless of results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->