2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Pretty funny that people still think Matthews is on MacKinnon's level.

MacKinnon has more assists this season than Matthews has had in his whole career.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno...what does it matter if AM34 is at or above NM29's level? So long as both are franchise-level players it doesn't bother me. And yeah, he's very much a shoot-first center, which makes me think they shouldn't take Nylander off his wing.

And let's just say it--MacKinnon will need to play like this for more than one season to prove the naysayers wrong. Thus far he has one fantastic rookie season, a Hart-caliber season this year, and three in between where he was merely "good." If he regresses back to that other guy, that's a problem.

Reactions: cgf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Until Matthews has a season like the one MacKinnon is having this season, then he's not quite on Macks level.
MacKinnon will need to do this once again next season in order to separate himself from Matthews IMO. Not 1.40 PPG, but an 80-90 point season. He simply cannot go back to being a 50-65 point player or else we're in huge trouble.

Matthews was on pace for 44 goals and 77 points this season if he didn't get injured. The guy is already one of the top goal scorers in the league IMO along with Ovechkin and Laine.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Matthews has this ability where the puck just finds him around the net. If it just happens during a couple of weeks, it's luck, but when it happens all the time it's just some sixth hockey sense.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
MacKinnon has to continue this play into next season before most people believe this is the real MacKinnon, obviously. Not disputing that.

But from what MacKinnon has done this season unless Matthews puts up a comparable year I wouldn't have him on par with MacKinnon yet, if this proves to be the real MacKinnon.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
MacKinnon has to continue this play into next season before most people believe this is the real MacKinnon, obviously. Not disputing that.

But from what MacKinnon has done this season unless Matthews puts up a comparable year I wouldn't have him on par with MacKinnon yet, if this proves to be the real MacKinnon.
MacKinnon has a poor xGF% of 48.5% and an actual GF% of 59.5% as well as a PDO of 104. This may be a big step in his development as a player but this isn't the "real MacKinnon" none of those numbers are remotely sustainable.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
MacKinnon has a poor xGF% of 48.5% and an actual GF% of 59.5% as well as a PDO of 104. This may be a big step in his development as a player but this isn't the "real MacKinnon" none of those numbers are remotely sustainable.

What does his girlfriend percentage have to do with anything. I'm sure once he matures he'll settle down and meet someone.

AvHooligan

Oct 10, 2015

Are you using fancy math to doubt Mack Daddys greatness?

How dare you

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Obviously he won’t continue playing at the level he currently is, his current level is higher than anything a player has done recently sans Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin. Playing at a 114 point level is something that you couldn’t even expect of McDavid. Hopefully, he can keep his play up to be close though and get 90-100 points, which is still amazing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Exactly. With a Post Diner Opportunity score as high as 104 he's not in any rush to settle down. Those numbers aren't sustainable forever though...

Seriously though. Obviously he can't keep this up, he's been at roughly an 110 point pace this season. But I think a PPG MacKinnon is the new norm vs the 50 point guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seriously though. Obviously he can't keep this up, he's been at roughly an 110 point pace this season. But I think a PPG MacKinnon is the new norm vs the 50 point guy.

I certainly hope so and there's plenty of reasons to believe that. We will see though. I remain cautiously optimistic which is pretty much my default mode with all things Avs-related.

Reactions: cgf and Foppberg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If you want to see just how bad Andrei Vasilevskiy has been since the All Star break, he's played 19 games going 13-5-1 but having given up 65 goals. He's given up 4 or more goals in a game in 8 of those 19 games.

If Tampa Bay didn't have a ridiculous offence, they'd be in big trouble. I honestly believe if they play Florida in the 1st round, there's a chance they get upset.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I mean, I absolutely think Auston Matthews is on MacKinnon's level. Why wouldn't he be? Because he got injured this season?

If you're going to point out how many more assists MacKinnon has than Matthews, point out the fact that Matthews has over half of MacKinnon's career goals while having played 230 less games.

Exactly.

I've never found these debates between two elite players - trying to determine who's best - to be terribly useful. We're talking about Matthews and MacKinnon here. I'd sign up in 0.5 seconds to have either guy on my roster.

Reactions: cgf and LTC Pain

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you want to see just how bad Andrei Vasilevskiy has been since the All Star break, he's played 19 games going 13-5-1 but having given up 65 goals. He's given up 4 or more goals in a game in 8 of those 19 games.

If Tampa Bay didn't have a ridiculous offence, they'd be in big trouble. I honestly believe if they play Florida in the 1st round, there's a chance they get upset.

I think he and the Bolts would be in better shape had Budaj not gotten hurt. That left their third option as...Domingue. I mean, they hedged their bet by going out and getting the best available backup, so even they weren't 100% sold on Vasilevskiy, and I'm sure had he not gotten hurt Boods would've gotten a lot of starts. Both he and Holtby just got plain worn out. I sure as hell hope Varly does not have the same issue down the stretch, though he had a bit of rest forced upon him by injury.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
A center who is playing at 115 point pace is not the same level as a center playing at a 77 point pace. That is almost a 40 point gap.

Sure, they're in the same "category" in terms of young first overall picks to start a franchise with, but MacKinnon is having a season well beyond what anyone can reasonably expect out of a 1st overall pick.

And I should have phrased my first post a little differently. Look at this title from a thread started yesterday: "Is MacKinnon now in McDavid/Matthews/Laine bracket?"

A potential Art Ross/Hart trophy season now puts MacKinnon on the same level as Matthews (who some think is in the same tier with McDavid)?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
McDavid is in his own tier when it comes to ranking these young franchise centers. He might be in his own tier regardless of age but Malkin has been great again and Crosby will step his game up as well so maybe they'll have something to say about it for another year or two.

I think the rest of them are around the same range and all still have something to prove. This was always MacKinnon's potential so I do believe he'll repeat it but I understand that he needs to do it again. Matthews has been great once again and was showing more of a complete game but injuries effected his season. With Eichel it's all about staying healthy and doing it over a full season but there are also some holes in his game.

Right now I'd put them in this order: McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Eichel.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
McDavid is in his own tier when it comes to ranking these young franchise centers.

His even strength points are perfectly fine this season. I can't really fathom that he has only 16 pp points all season. I think Kerfoot has as many.

Did Tim Army get a job in Edmonton or something?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
His even strength points are perfectly fine this season. I can't really fathom that he has only 16 pp points all season. I think Kerfoot has as many.

Did Tim Army get a job in Edmonton or something?

I think I read on the main boards that McDavid has like a 30 point lead on ESP over the last two seasons. His ESP production is just insane.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The PP in general in Edmonton hasn't been good. McDavid doesn't shoot, Draisaitl doesn't shoot, Lucic doesn't stay in front of the net, they have no bomb from the point given Klefbom's struggles with his shoulder this season.

If he continues his EV play next season, I expect him to get 110+ points because no way is their PP as bad once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad