2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh my god. My condolences to the Karlsson family, I hope nobody has to go through something like that. Awful awful news.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
F***. I'm the first to joke about people regretting having kids and how happy I am that I'm not currently changing diapers, but that hurts even to read.

Just devastating & my heart goes out to the Karlssons :-(

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Aww man, that is horrible news for them, he was so excited too on that gender reveal video... :(

My condolences to the Karlsson family.

Yeah, just look at his instagram feed, and you can tell he was so excited about having a son. Everything he posts was about the family he was soon to have.

Devastating news for him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It blows my mind after what happened with Burke and the Seguin/Hamilton picks that Calgary would trade an unprotected 1st round pick. No matter how small the risk you think you are taking, why would you expose yourself?

Both times Avs have traded first rounders it could have turned ugly. In 2008 Avs made it in as the 6th team in the West. If they would have missed the playoffs they would have given up the Duchene pick for Foote. In 2011, right after picking Landeskog 2nd overall they traded their 2012 first rounder for Varlamov. Turned out ok (11th overall) but could have turned ugly.

Trading late first rounder at trade deadline is less risk but in the summer, always protect your first rounder.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think it really shows CGY's mgmt hubris that they thought they'd be a shoo-in so im sure they figured
Why worry ?
That being said i doubt they came up with the idea.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To be fair to the Flames, they SHOULD be a playoff team. On paper, with that defence + Mike Smith (even if I can't stand him and don't think he's all that good) + a great top line and arguably best 3rd line in the league. If I was part of that management team, I'd be thinking they'll get in, too.

They've grossly underperformed IMO. Nobody can score aside from Gaudreau and Monahan, and the defenders have been a disaster save for Giordano and spurts from Hamilton.

Reactions: McMetal

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
It blows my mind after what happened with Burke and the Seguin/Hamilton picks that Calgary would trade an unprotected 1st round pick. No matter how small the risk you think you are taking, why would you expose yourself?

Both times Avs have traded first rounders it could have turned ugly. In 2008 Avs made it in as the 6th team in the West. If they would have missed the playoffs they would have given up the Duchene pick for Foote. In 2011, right after picking Landeskog 2nd overall they traded their 2012 first rounder for Varlamov. Turned out ok (11th overall) but could have turned ugly.

Trading late first rounder at trade deadline is less risk but in the summer, always protect your first rounder.
No not the Duchene pick, they traded a 2008 1st for Foote

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No not the Duchene pick, they traded a 2008 1st for Foote

The 1st was conditional. If the Avs made the playoffs in 2008, then the 1st was that year (2008), if they missed then it went to 2009 and it was unprotected.

So missing the playoffs would've gotten Columbus the Duchene pick at #3, unless that year somehow unfolded differently for the Avs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The 1st was conditional. If the Avs made the playoffs in 2008, then the 1st was that year (2008), if they missed then it went to 2009 and it was unprotected.

So missing the playoffs would've gotten Columbus the Duchene pick at #3, unless that year somehow unfolded differently for the Avs.

Avs were actually out of the playoffs at the date of the trade:

XH5E7VD.jpg

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I mean I understand where you're coming from, Freudian, but look at how jam-packed that bunch was. Sure they were out, but they were 2 points out of 8th, and 4 points out of 4th (if that's a straight 1-8 seeding, but I see Calgary has 75 but was below SJ who had 74).

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

My bad I don't ever remember that trade being conditional

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I mean I understand where you're coming from, Freudian, but look at how jam-packed that bunch was. Sure they were out, but they were 2 points out of 8th, and 4 points out of 4th (if that's a straight 1-8 seeding, but I see Calgary has 75 but was below SJ who had 74).

Avs probably didn't see 2008-09 coming, with Sakic's injury and Stastny missing half the season. If anything they protected themselves from a bad 2007-2008 season with that pick being conditional.

But it does illustrate that you never know what's going to happen so if you can protect yourself, do it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Still...a 1st for Adam Foote?...and unprotected ...what were they thinking?
That they were getting 01 Footer and that clutch and grab was still a thing. PL was horrid after the curtain closed on the non cap era. And he had horrid decisions before as well, most notably being cheap with role players and more importantly coaches. Things were coached by Scotty and we had Crawford, Hartley and Granato. Talk about playing checkers while the other guy is playing chess.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well...to be fair, they had finished the previous season with 94 points and that was with Brian Elliott as their #1 goalie. They must've figured adding Hamonic and Smith (and having an expansion franchise to beat up on in their own division) was going to vault them to a 100-point season. But...yeah, that move may very well cost Brad Treliving his job. I'm fairly certain Glen Gulutzan is done the minute game 82 ends.

And frankly speaking the 2012 1st rounder DID turn ugly. As I said in another thread, they dealt the pick and then went into the season with a top pairing of Hejda/O'Byrne. No idea what they were thinking there, remember this was the year Duchene scored a measly 28 points amidst an injury-riddled campaign that saw Sacco banish him to the press box for a game. Oh and this was also the year Kyle Quincey took his ball and went home to Detroit. The next year the Avs finished with the worst record in the Western Conference and Sacco was summarily told to GTFO.

Imagine what would've happened had new acquisitions Steve Downie and Jamie McGinn hadn't gone on insane scoring runs to finish that season. I would think, under the currently lottery rules, that the Avs would never have made that deal.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Still...a 1st for Adam Foote?...and unprotected ...what were they thinking?

Probably the biggest reason why Francois Giguere has never gotten even a sniff at an NHL GM gig since then.

A friend of mine who now works for an AHL organization once remarked that Andrew Raycroft was the ultimate GM killer. And y'know, it still stands. Mike O'Connell, John Ferguson, Jr., and Giguere have effectively disappeared from the game. I've heard some mentions of JFJ for the Seattle gig, but I doubt that actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad