2017-18 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The Senators are just an absolute trainwreck.

Not sure what is happening. They did pretty well at first.

Since the Duchene trade they've been pretty bad.

Can you imagine if they missed playoffs, got a high pick and only to watch Colorado drafting with that pick?

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI

Can you imagine if they missed playoffs, got a high pick and only to watch Colorado drafting with that pick?

Their 1st round pick is top 10 protected

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

A pickup truck believes he is a sports car.
Anyway, can you imagine Duchene will walk away after next season?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
A pickup truck believes he is a sports car.
Anyway, can you imagine Duchene will walk away after next season?

Ah, Duchene and Karlsson's contracts expire at the same time don't they?

This might be motivation for Dorion to throw away more of the team's future in order to keep them.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I feel bad for Ottawa. But I just didn't understand the trade at the time and it seems to have done a cascading effect on the team.

I almost feel like they should've consulted Karlsson before making the trade.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I feel bad for Ottawa. But I just didn't understand the trade at the time and it seems to have done a cascading effect on the team.

I almost feel like they should've consulted Karlsson before making the trade.

I think the problem is not that they consulted Karlsson or not.

They simply gave up a huge deal of their future for a player I consider to be overrated as hell. Seems like a mixture of erroneous talent evaluation and trying to prove to Karlsson they are serious about keeping him in the wrong way.

Meanwhile Turris is performing steadily @ Nashville with 6 pts in last 5 games, and is on pace for around 65 for the season.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada

They simply gave up a huge deal of their future for a player I consider to be overrated as hell. Seems like a mixture of erroneous talent evaluation and trying to prove to Karlsson they are serious about keeping him in the wrong way.

Meanwhile Turris is performing steadily @ Nashville with 6 pts in last 5 games, and is on pace for around 65 for the season.

IMO, had they approached Karlsson about the deal, I think he'd make the case that it wasn't needed.

And I agree, the two centers are pretty much a wash with an edge to Duchene due to age. Awful move.

Had they made the move and kept Turris I'd be singing a different tune but this was just dumb from the start.

On a side note, anyone knows if players receive a stake in a franchise as part of their compensation?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I feel Turris is a very good 2nd line scoring centre, and the player they got back is a slightly better low end 1C. For the small upgrade they gave up so much. They also didn't think enough about fit and locker room dynamics. Now we may not know what it is like in there lockeroom, but there is definitely something going on there.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I feel Turris is a very good 2nd line scoring centre, and the player they got back is a slightly better low end 1C. For the small upgrade they gave up so much. They also didn't think enough about fit and locker room dynamics. Now we may not know what it is like in there lockeroom, but there is definitely something going on there.
Mostly agree except that I think Duchene is now in the category of Used to be a “slightly better 1c center.” I just don’t think he is even that anymore. Ottawa got hosed.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Mostly agree except that I think Duchene is now in the category of Used to be a “slightly better 1c center.” I just don’t think he is even that anymore. Ottawa got hosed.

I think the only team that really did well in that trade was NSH. Col got a lot but no great piece coming back to them.

Reactions: ddawg1950

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I think the only team that really did well in that trade was NSH. Col got a lot but no great piece coming back to them.

This could very well be premature judgement on my part but, based on what Duchene brought to the Senators so far if I was Joe Sakic I'd be toasting for the fleece job I did.

At the time of the trade speculation I was like no GM's dumb enough to overpay the ridongculous asking price for Duchene. Turns out I couldn't be more wrong lol.

EDIT: But all jokes aside I do wish Senators could turn things around, as I kinda actually like that team aside from the idiotic GM who probably took notes from Benning. Even if Duchene cannot turn things around I hope Karlsson would, he deserves better than this.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

On a side note, anyone knows if players receive a stake in a franchise as part of their compensation?

It isn't permitted under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Article 50.2 reads, in part ...

(a) ... The only allowable form of compensation permitted to be paid to a Player shall be Player Salary, as set forth in paragraph (a), and Bonuses, as set forth in paragraph (b) below. No other type of compensation, in any form, ..., shall be permitted to be provided to any Player.

The types of bonuses are specifically spelled out and are stated in cash. Similarly Player Salary is a cash amount. There is an exception for relatively small traditional hockey practices such as parental travel to a player's first game, parent-son road trips, picnics, parties and gifts, but all of these must be of "de minimus value." "De minimus means modest, of minor importance and it is not a traditional hockey practice to pay players in stock of the team.

The Mark Messier contract with the Canucks would not be permitted under the current cba, nor would the Mario Lemieux deferred salary situation with the Penguins that resulted in him acquiring a majority interest in the team when it declared bankruptcy.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This could very well be premature judgement on my part but, based on what Duchene brought to the Senators so far if I was Joe Sakic I'd be toasting for the fleece job I did.

At the time of the trade speculation I was like no GM's dumb enough to overpay the ridongculous asking price for Duchene. Turns out I couldn't be more wrong lol.

EDIT: But all jokes aside I do wish Senators could turn things around, as I kinda actually like that team aside from the idiotic GM who probably took notes from Benning. Even if Duchene cannot turn things around I hope Karlsson would, he deserves better than this.

True enough, I guess.

I try to be a sens fan, but it's hard in situations like this, I liked Turris, the good Vancouver boy, who really the was mainly kicked to the curb because they didn't think it was worth the salary.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
i love how after all this time its still arizona, edmonton and colorado at the bottom of the west :laugh:

Eh Colorado's actually doing fairly well all things considered. 13-13-2 isn't really a basement team record and they have a couple games in hand to be played. Also while the potential was there I don't think anyone really expected Arizona to leave the basement yet, remember that unlike the other frequent basement teams they haven't landed a McDavid/Matthews/Eichel/Laine yet.

I know this isn't exactly what you were saying but really it's only Edmonton that's the embarassment right now.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Apparently Burrows having a rough year for them so pretty glad we Got Dahlen for him

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Apparently Burrows having a rough year for them so pretty glad we Got Dahlen for him
That trade was bad at the time and is only going to get worse. A 3rd for Burrows would have been a good return, to get Dahlen we a shock. Sometimes it's not so much great work by one GM but terrible work by the other (see Forsberg for Erat) creating a great trade for you. What the hell were Ottawa thinking?

Reactions: racerjoe

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That trade was bad at the time and is only going to get worse. A 3rd for Burrows would have been a good return, to get Dahlen we a shock. Sometimes it's not so much great work by one GM but terrible work by the other (see Forsberg for Erat) creating a great trade for you. What the hell were Ottawa thinking?
I think it's a combination of both (eg., horrible move by the Sens GM & a solid move by Benning).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad