2017-18 Around the League Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Every day on the out of town scoreboard I see Ehlers Nylander tkachuk lighting it up. Thanks Benning.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Senators are laying a beatdown on Alberta this weekend, even without Karlsson.

And just as I say that another goal. 5-0 now after beating Calgary 6-0 last night.

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Aside from the McDavid hattrick Edmonton has been playing like complete garbage this season. Not even entertaining hockey either, which is just sad.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Two different intermissions about MAF and bot a single mention of the concussion protocol. So much for in game spotters and trying to improve player safety.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Not sure if it's funny or sad that the team of expansion draft castaways in Vegas is already younger, faster, more talented, more physical, and altogether just more fun to watch than our $73 million pile of dreck.

And that's with the Knights having a less than optimal expansion draft/offseason. It's pretty pathetic. Just happy the fans are starting to not show up—it's the only way we'll see change. The thing is that ownership/management will just think that people aren't showing up because they aren't winning most their games (i.e "fans are fickle!") instead of actually understanding the core issues and what the fans would be willing to show up and watch.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I really hope they make the playoffs this season. On a side note, I wonder how many owners will want to change how the next expansion draft is done if it made Vegas too good.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I really hope they make the playoffs this season. On a side note, I wonder how many owners will want to change how the next expansion draft is done if it made Vegas too good.

It's pretty insane how much of an advantage Vegas was given compared to MIN/CBJ/NSH etc. But I guess that's more because of the $500MM franchise fee than anything else.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not only that, McPhee made some nifty moves to take full advantage of the expansion draft. Taking in some bad contracts, making trades and deals here and there.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's pretty insane how much of an advantage Vegas was given compared to MIN/CBJ/NSH etc. But I guess that's more because of the $500MM franchise fee than anything else.

I hear the ticket price for the next team is $700MIL. Think lining their pockets is well worth the risk the team might be good with their castoffs.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Is it more of a advantage or just the salary cap effecting more teams now?

GMGM used all available means to build his franchise and if ya wana use the expansion fees to explain it then more power to ya

Bottom line....just like Valkynex said...McPhee took FULL advantage and is now going to build HIS team through the draft.....funny concept eh.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Highly doubt any changes will be made...NHL wants a 32 team league and we're going to get it within a year or two.

Revenue sharing, attendance up, great young players in the league now...book it...Some city is going to get a franchise...soon.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So another two points for Vegas as they bounce back from a loss. Tuch and Shipachyov collecting their first NHL goals. Subban with the win against his former team and a good first start as he carries the load for the next bit.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I'm sure Vegas will cool off in November. Their D is weak and if Fleury is out for a while, I can see the losses starting to pile up.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm sure Vegas will cool off in November. Their D is weak and if Fleury is out for a while, I can see the losses starting to pile up.

I'm sure they will. The question is how big of a lead do they get to see if the can stay out of the basement.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I'm sure they will. The question is how big of a lead do they get to see if the can stay out of the basement.

That's a good point. The space they can create now will be crucial in how the standings play out. If they get a big enough cushion now they may hold the Canucks at bay. LOL.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
That's a good point. The space they can create now will be crucial in how the standings play out. If they get a big enough cushion now they may hold the Canucks at bay. LOL.

Well the Canucks usually tread water till late January and fall apart in the final 25-30 games. The vets turn on the "Do not give a f***" mode and the losses pile up. Perhaps the vets on the team turn on "Do not give a f***" mode even earlier if we get off to a rough start. If we are near the bottom of the standings by xmas I expect the canucks to out tank the competition unless Vegas goes full Avalanche the rest of the way.

Reactions: Carl Carlson

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if it doesn't happen on its own, i can't imagine that mcphee won't steer that team into a tank this season.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
if it doesn't happen on its own, i can't imagine that mcphee won't steer that team into a tank this season.
I expect he will try to move Neal quite early. Wouldn't shock me if he's the first major trade of the season.

Vegas still has quite a few guys playing for jobs/contracts which might help the canucks out tank them. I can't think of too many players on the canucks that have something to play for come March/April. Most of the canucks roster is old or has nothing to really play for so that definitely works in the canucks favor. The only players that "play for pride" are the ones with contracts coming up while everyone else is busy planning summer vacations and counting down the days for the season to be over.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I expect he will try to move Neal quite early. Wouldn't shock me if he's the first major trade of the season.

Vegas still has quite a few guys playing for jobs/contracts which might help the canucks out tank them. I can't think of too many players on the canucks that have something to play for come March/April. Most of the canucks roster is old or has nothing to really play for so that definitely works in the canucks favor. The only players that "play for pride" are the ones with contracts coming up while everyone else is busy planning summer vacations and counting down the days for the season to be over.

You don't want to overreact over a hot start, but while I'm sure the initial plan was to flip him the way things are looking in Vegas I wouldn't be surprised if they consider trying to extend him. While the smarter asset move is to trade him ultimately a hockey franchise is a business, and for a franchise team having a recognizable star who can generate fan interest and sell merchandise is good for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad