2017-18 Around the League Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Leafs vs Oilers SCF seems like a real possibility over the next few years.

The Aquillini's should be hitting themselves with frying pans over trying to get that extra playoff revenue in 2015. Should have started deconstucting the team after 2013 .

A player like McDavid or Matthews is worth the price of admission vs having an fringe playoff team.

Bad news for the rest of the league as these generation talents only come once every decade...

Reactions: Knight53 and Ozone

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The real price of admission at Rogers Arena for 2017-18 will come from watching opposition superstars make the highlight reel against us

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Exactly. You only need to deliberately suck for two years like Toronto.

And you need to get lucky. That part, well.

bobaner

Oct 5, 2017
I've never really understood why the Canucks let Shawn Matthias walk away for nothing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The speed and acceleration on his second goal was amazing.

It's like watching Bure in his prime. He just doesn't slow down when he gets the puck and if he sniffs any open ice he's simply uncatchable.

He's going to be turning D-men into pylons for years to come.

During the intermission or pre-game of Blues-Pens game on NBC sports they had a McDavid feature. The one area he wanted to really work on was his goal scoring. He starts the year off with a hat trick. Similar to Crosby if he moves from a 30 goal scorer to a 50 goal scorer you have an unbelievably dangerous player.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Not seeing an alumni section on here, I didn't know where to put this. It may be that just as Virtanen seems to have progressed, so has the other Canucks' 2014-1st rounder.

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts (copied from a post in the Panthers section of hfboards):

26. There were a lot of internal battles last season in Florida, and one involved the readiness of Jared McCann.
McCann showed in training camp he wanted to end the debate. He made summer switches, hiring skating coach Dawn Braid and trainer Matt Nichol. “Physically, I feel way different,” he said by telephone. “I felt I was quick before at full speed, but the first three steps were a problem to get there. (The changes) helped me out.” He’s been told he will start the season as a centre, saying “he’s very excited about it.” How is it playing for Bob Boughner? “He’s an intense guy. He expects a lot.”

27. McCann, a 2014 first-round pick by Vancouver, learned to expect a lot from himself. “There are things I regret, but I’ve learned from it. I’m a better player. You can’t take a day off, can’t get complacent, there are guys coming to take your job. Coming into to the league, I was a cocky little kid my first couple of months. They straightened me out.”
Boughner: “Jared worked hard this summer and it showed in camp. He came in prepared and earned this opportunity.”​

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Leafs vs Oilers SCF seems like a real possibility over the next few years.

The Aquillini's should be hitting themselves with frying pans over trying to get that extra playoff revenue in 2015. Should have started deconstucting the team after 2013 .

A player like McDavid or Matthews is worth the price of admission vs having an fringe playoff team.

Bad news for the rest of the league as these generation talents only come once every decade...

Yep.

I couldn't help but feel depressed after watching the leafs vs jets and oilers vs flames games and seeing all that young talent on the ice and what we had missed out at. Man we had such a glorious opportunity to rebuild this team properly during that fiasco 13-14 season but nope.

I also can't help this feeling of deja vu after watching Benning load up on vets this summer for another run @ the playoffs...This group of misfits will probably gel and keep us from getting the top talent in a very good draft...just like in 2015.

#canuckluck

Jack-Donaghy-Pouring-Alcohol-Loop-30-Rock.gif

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yep.

I couldn't help but feel depressed after watching the leafs vs jets and oilers vs flames games and seeing all that young talent on the ice and what we had missed out at. Man we had such a glorious opportunity to rebuild this team properly during that fiasco 13-14 season but nope.

I also can't help this feeling of deja vu after watching Benning load up on vets this summer for another run @ the playoffs...This group of misfits will probably gel and keep us from getting the top talent in a very good draft...just like in 2015.

#canuckluck

Jack-Donaghy-Pouring-Alcohol-Loop-30-Rock.gif
Nah, with this lottery system
I don't give a crap about where we finish

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
So we just have to deliberately suck for the next decade to get a McDavid, right?

We need to suck and draft so badly that they change the rules for us and then still win a generational talent.

Nothing is more obnoxious than Oilers fans trying to lefture Canucks or other fan bases on how to rebuild. No, sweet summer children, you sucked at rebuilding so much they legitimately changed the lottery rules to prevent you from messing up anymore 1st OA picks. And then you still had enough luck to draft a generational talent that literally forced your shit management + ownership into not flopping around like the league's Magikarp. I don't care about "oh we had the weakest 1OA stretch" -- the majority of other teams could make something happen around one of Hall or RNH.

I'm legitimately convinced the Canucks could win the lottery and they'd make us forfeit the pick because of the Luongo contract or because back in 1994 Bure looked at someone in a mean way.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad