World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Gostisbehere has been on the ice for 1 goal against in 3 games. He's the teams #1 D option for the 1st PP unit.

You don't think he has gone up against physical teams in the NHL? Ok, swap him out for Trouba. You think Trouba has the ability to score the goal that Gostisbehere scored last night?

Although I agree Ghost should be playing, let's not pretend like that 1 goal against is equal to every other defenseman. Guys had a ridiculous amount of starts in the Ozone.. Pretty sure it was literally 100% in game 2

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Although I agree Ghost should be playing, let's not pretend like that 1 goal against is equal to every other defenseman. Guys had a ridiculous amount of starts in the Ozone.. Pretty sure it was literally 100% in game 2

Not to mention, I think he's the only defenseman without a single second of PK time.

#1 PP option. How is that PP% coming along.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Not every defenseman needs to be on the PK. Ghost brings an element that nobody else on that D does. He should definitely stay in.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Not every defenseman needs to be on the PK. Ghost brings an element that nobody else on that D does. He should definitely stay in.

Seriously? You're telling me Ekblad, Reilly, Jones or Parayko couldn't play the way Ghost does? It's easy to free wheel when you get 4+ mins off PP time and 75%+ Ozone starts.

Unfortunately for the above mentioned, there is more than 1 zone that requires attention.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Seriously? You're telling me Ekblad, Reilly, Jones or Parayko couldn't play the way Ghost does? It's easy to free wheel when you get 4+ mins off PP time and 75%+ Ozone starts.

Unfortunately for the above mentioned, there is more than 1 zone that requires attention.

I am telling you that he is the best PP defenseman and probably the best transition D on the team. And he's no Vlasic or Hjalmarsson but it's not like he's some kind of hopeless Justin Scultz in his own end.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I am telling you that he is the best PP defenseman and probably the best transition D on the team. And he's no Vlasic or Hjalmarsson but it's not like he's some kind of hopeless Justin Scultz in his own end.

He holds the puck too long. He only got one point to show in pre-tournament play (he was wrongly credited with an assist on Matthews goal).

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
He holds the puck too long. He only got one point to show in pre-tournament play (he was wrongly credited with an assist on Matthews goal).

Are you judging him based on a handful of plays in 3 games or his entire body of work? McDavid looked ineffective in the exhibition games too but we all know he's the best player on the team .

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Are you judging him based on a handful of plays in 3 games or his entire body of work? McDavid looked ineffective in the exhibition games too but we all know he's the best player on the team .

Not sure what games you were watching? McDavid didn't look ineffective at all.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Snake-bitten = ineffective, dude has played really well it just hasn't ended in points. Some people only care about what the score sheet says though.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

McDavid looks like the most dangerous guy on the ice every time he touched the puck. Only Gaudreau can say that too imo

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Some people are still putting Matthews on the 3rd line? He's been one of the team's best players at such a young age. And he's being used in tough defensive situations as well.

Kid deserves to be on the top line or 2nd line at worst.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Gostisbehere has been on the ice for 1 goal against in 3 games. He's the teams #1 D option for the 1st PP unit.

You don't think he has gone up against physical teams in the NHL? Ok, swap him out for Trouba. You think Trouba has the ability to score the goal that Gostisbehere scored last night?

Ghost always gets crapped on by a lot of fans on here and I never know why. Very special player that is their best PP guy on D I agree.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Serious question, but who do you guys think will be the better Dman in the future? Gostisbehere, Parayko or Trouba?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Yet I see people on here complaining about him. I agree with you - ineffective wasn't the best word to describe it, but people like results. The point is why should we judge a guy based on 3 games. Did you guys not catch any of Ghost's games last year? And it's not like he's even been bad in these games, he just hasn't been in his top form. Same with McDavid. McDavid looks dangerous but I've seen him play a level above where he is now and I know he has that capability.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Snake-bitten = ineffective, dude has played really well it just hasn't ended in points. Some people only care about what the score sheet says though.

McDavid looks like the most dangerous guy on the ice every time he touched the puck. Only Gaudreau can say that too imo

McDavid is the best player on this team and is here to score points not to be a defensive wizard. He can dippsy doodle all he wants, but he has to put up points, period, but so far he has mostly been ineffective. I expect when the tournament starts we will be seeing a different McDavid.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
With zero defensive responsibility, they can.

No. With less (not zero because there's no such thing) defensive responsibility they could play the same style of game as Gostisbehere. They couldn't do it as well as him, however, or they'd be offensive defencemen already because it would be their greatest stength. None of them has the shot, transitional game or offensive instincts of Gostisbehere.

I love arguments in the vein of, "If Toews didn't have so much defensive responsibility he could be a PPG player." If he could be a PPG player he would be one, but he can't.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

McDavid has created chance after chance. By the end of the tournament, reasonable hockey fans will call him the best hockey player they have ever seen.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Watch McDavid go beast mode and get like 4 points in a game and everyone will know what they know deep down. He has another level and is simply better than everyone else.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
McDavid has created chance after chance. By the end of the tournament, reasonable hockey fans will call him the best hockey player they have ever seen.

Better than Crosby, Malkin, OV, Jagr, etc.? He has a ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad