World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Assuming players will still be going to the Olympics the future is bright for Team USA, Gaudreau, Matthews, Eichel, Ekblad and Tkachuk to name a few young guys and there's plenty more.

Jones, Gostibehere, Hanafin, Werenski, Trouba, etc are the future of the US defence, Ekblad is Canadian though.

But yea, I think the US will be very very good in a few years. They already are quite good, but I think their depth will be better and they now have some legitimate potential superstar centres which they've lacked.

Last edited:

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Jones, Gostibehere, Hanafin, Werenski, Trouba, Parayko, etc are the future of the US defence, Ekblad is Canadian though.

But yea, I think the US will be very very good in a few years. They already are quite good, but I think their depth will be better and they now have some legitimate potential superstar centres which they've lacked.

Parayko is also Canadian ;)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Parayko is also Canadian ;)

Yep, my bad. Thought he was from Alaska, but just played there.

Regardless, I think they have a pretty solid future. The US for the last ~5+ years or so has had very very good wingers, pretty solid centre depth (but generally lacking superstar talent), and a top-heavy blueline that's had a weaker bottom pairing compared to countries like Canada/Sweden. Eichel/Matthews + those young blueliners have a good shot at addressing those holes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Have we figured out that McDavid needs to be with Gaudreau? Every time they've been paired together they've created tons of chances. Then just give them the best natural finisher on the team in Matthews. He's got the best hands in tight and size to go with it. He's best positioned to finish all those net front chances McGaudravid create.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
From the last period the McDavid/MAthews/Gaudreau line looked really good. I hope they play together again, and keep McDavid away from Mack and Drouin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm just going to throw out some lines for team NA.

Trochek-McDavid-Schiefele - Enough skill to keep up with him, work the boards.

Gaudreau-Matthews-Larkin - Try Matthews at C, one of the best so far.

Drouin-RNH-MacKinnon - No need to have broken up this line

Couturier-Eichel-Saad (Try Eichel back at C)

Miller - Draws the short straw, hasn't been bad.

Thoughts?

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I'm just going to throw out some lines for team NA.

Trochek-McDavid-Schiefele - Enough skill to keep up with him, work the boards.

Gaudreau-Matthews-Larkin - Try Matthews at C, one of the best so far.

Drouin-RNH-MacKinnon - No need to have broken up this line

Couturier-Eichel-Saad (Try Eichel back at C)

Miller - Draws the short straw, hasn't been bad.

Thoughts?

Awful.

Trochek isn't moving to the top line. No chance. Zero.

In no way do you move Couturier (by far NA's best defensive forward) to the wing. Especially to accommodate Eichel, who has been non existent so far. Not to mention you have 2 right shots for wingers on the top line, and two lefties on both the 2nd and 4th line.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
CsabFSvXgAA6PQv.jpg

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I missed last nights game but looking at the recap..looks like Larkin was hardly used? Is he being used as strictly a shut down line in D zone faceoffs?

Larkin was plenty involved. I actually think he found some real chemistry with drouin in the last period. They had some of the best chances and were instrumental in the first goal. Hell of a "third line" with all that speed and skill.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Awful.

Trochek isn't moving to the top line. No chance. Zero.

In no way do you move Couturier (by far NA's best defensive forward) to the wing. Especially to accommodate Eichel, who has been non existent so far. Not to mention you have 2 right shots for wingers on the top line, and two lefties on both the 2nd and 4th line.

Trochek is a good player, and he has enough talent to keep up with McDavid and plays a blue collar game, along with Schiefele, he won't stifle McDavid.

When Eichel is on, he's better then Couturier. Couturier has experience on LW, and Eichel has been ineffective on wing so may as well try something new.

Won't you end up with 2/3 of some kind of shot on any line unless the player has no curve and is ambidextrous? :teach:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This is what I'd go with:

J.Gaudreau - C.McDavid - M.Schiefele
J.Drouin - R.N.Hopkins - N.MacKinnon
B.Saad - S.Couturier - V.Trochek
D.Larkin - A.Mathews - J.Eichel
J.Miller

M.Rielly - A.Ekblad
R.Murray - S.Jones
S.Ghost - C.Parayko
J.Trouba

M.Murray
J.Gibson
C.Hellebuyck

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Trochek is a good player, and he has enough talent to keep up with McDavid and plays a blue collar game, along with Schiefele, he won't stifle McDavid.

When Eichel is on, he's better then Couturier. Couturier has experience on LW, and Eichel has been ineffective on wing so may as well try something new.

He's played center exclusively for years, and is the best faceoff guy on TNA.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
This is what I'd go with:

J.Gaudreau - C.McDavid - M.Schiefele
J.Drouin - R.N.Hopkins - N.MacKinnon
B.Saad - S.Couturier - V.Trochek
D.Larkin - A.Mathews - J.Eichel
J.Miller

M.Rielly - A.Ekblad
R.Murray - S.Jones
S.Ghost - C.Parayko
J.Trouba

M.Murray
J.Gibson
C.Hellebuyck

I like those lines.

I'm still not sold on Ghost and would rather Trouba be in vs. the Canada's/US and Sweden's.

Weird, no ambidextrous players needed up front.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The defense has been pretty error prone. Wonder if any shuffling will still happen? Pretty tough in a short tournament.

As for forwards, I really liked the Matthews - Scheifele pairing. Hope they keep them together. Reunite the Drouin - RNH - MacKinnon line.

Gaudreau - McDavid - Eichel
Matthews - Scheifele - Larkin
Drouin - RNH - McKinnon
Saad - Couturier - Trochek

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like those lines.

I'm still not sold on Ghost and would rather Trouba be in vs. the Canada's/US and Sweden's.

Weird, no ambidextrous players needed up front.

I'd take Murray or Ghost out for Trouba. I think they need a bit more strength and defensive capability in their own zone.

Rielly-Ekblad
Trouba-Jones
Ghost/Murray-Parayko

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Murray stays, IMO. While he appears to be somewhat limited offensively, he's be solid in the Dzone. He's one I wouldn't touch.

Only change I would like is Trouba in for Ghost vs. the top tier teams. Team NA has more than enough offence, they just need to limit the turnovers and tidy up their dzone coverage/play.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Gostisbehere has been on the ice for 1 goal against in 3 games. He's the teams #1 D option for the 1st PP unit.

You don't think he has gone up against physical teams in the NHL? Ok, swap him out for Trouba. You think Trouba has the ability to score the goal that Gostisbehere scored last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad