Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v7) Next: vs CWS | Tue, Apr 26| 7pm ET/4pm PT | Sale vs Dickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Anybody else questioning how the bullpen has been used tonight?

I'm a little mystified.

I didn't like leaving in Stroman after he was hit in the arm. But I can live with that, if he's okay, he's okay.

I didn't like Cecil being left in to face Fraizer. Cecil was supposed to get Eaton out. When he didn't, go to a rightie to face Fraizer.

And what's with using Chavez in the 9th instead of Storen or Osuna? Jays were down by one, any win is going to be a walk off. There is no save to be had for a closer. Why not use one of your two best pen arms to try and keep it at one and win it in the 9th?

Maybe I'm just pissed this game became a train wreck.

Cecil didn't face Frazier.

And Generally your odds of winning when you're down 1 entering the 9th are pretty bad, you don't waste your best relievers in situations where you're probably not going to win. It's not mop up duty, but you go to a reliever like Chavez there. Most teams do.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Anybody else questioning how the bullpen has been used tonight?

I'm a little mystified.

I didn't like leaving in Stroman after he was hit in the arm. But I can live with that, if he's okay, he's okay.

I didn't like Cecil being left in to face Fraizer. Cecil was supposed to get Eaton out. When he didn't, go to a rightie to face Fraizer.

And what's with using Chavez in the 9th instead of Storen or Osuna? Jays were down by one, any win is going to be a walk off. There is no save to be had for a closer. Why not use one of your two best pen arms to try and keep it at one and win it in the 9th?

Maybe I'm just pissed this game became a train wreck.

I don't pitch Osuna in this game. Storen definitely should have been in the game instead of Floyd

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
ERA: 9th (ahead of: Detroit, Boston (!), Anaheim, Houston, Cleveland, and Texas)

WAR: 9th (ahead of: Tampa Bay, Houston, Minnesota, Cleveland, Anaheim, and Texas)

FIP: 9th (ahead of: Houston, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Anaheim, Cleveland, Texas)

Strand rate: 11th (ahead of: Anaheim, Boston (!), New York (!!), Cleveland)

WHIP: 8th (ahead of: Cleveland, Kansas City (!), Houston, Boston (!!), Detroit, Minnesota, Texas)

I'm going to stop listing the teams behind them but other food for thought:

K%: 7th
BB%: 3rd
Opp. BA: 10th
Hard contact allowed: 7th

So pretty objectively not the worst. If anything, Texas is clearly the worst pen in the AL.

Huh. I would not have guessed Texas to be the worst pen in the league.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
As long as Gibbons is the manager, Osuna will never pitch when we're behind. Better just make peace with it.

Anyway, Cecil and Storen have both been terrible, so not too much Gibbons can do.

Osuna pitched this Friday when the Jays were behind.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Cecil didn't face Frazier.

And Generally your odds of winning when you're down 1 entering the 9th are pretty bad, you don't waste your best relievers in situations where you're probably not going to win. It's not mop up duty, but you go to a reliever like Chavez there. Most teams do.

Thanks for the Fraizer correction. I mis-remembered the inning.

And I disagree on the second point.

One run game in the 9th. Donaldson, Bautista, EE and Tulo coming up? You go with your best bullpen arm to keep it one-run and hope for a walk-off win. If it was Storen I would have been fine with it as well.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
ERA: 9th (ahead of: Detroit, Boston (!), Anaheim, Houston, Cleveland, and Texas)

WAR: 9th (ahead of: Tampa Bay, Houston, Minnesota, Cleveland, Anaheim, and Texas)

FIP: 9th (ahead of: Houston, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Anaheim, Cleveland, Texas)

Strand rate: 11th (ahead of: Anaheim, Boston (!), New York (!!), Cleveland)

WHIP: 8th (ahead of: Cleveland, Kansas City (!), Houston, Boston (!!), Detroit, Minnesota, Texas)

I'm going to stop listing the teams behind them but other food for thought:

K%: 7th
BB%: 3rd
Opp. BA: 10th
Hard contact allowed: 7th

So pretty objectively not the worst. If anything, Texas is clearly the worst pen in the AL.

Splitting hairs.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for the Fraizer correction. I mis-remembered the inning.

And I disagree on the second point.

One run game in the 9th. Donaldson, Bautista, EE and Tulo coming up? You go with your best bullpen arm to keep it one-run and hope for a walk-off win. If it was Storen I would have been fine with it as well.

In the playoffs maybe. But most managers wouldn't go with either of their best 2 relievers in that situation. Especially since they pitched yesterday. It's too big of a waste to use them and have them unavailable for tomorrow when your odds of winning around around 5%

I would have used Storen in the 7th for Cecil, but not in the 9th there.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
**** the ball hit Tulo and wel lose :facepalm:

We've found some weird ways to lose, that was strange

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't pitch Osuna in this game. Storen definitely should have been in the game instead of Floyd

Why? Going into the 9th inning the Jays were behind one run. The only way they win is with a walk off, which means they won't ever be in a save situation. In the bottom of the 9th their four best hitters are due up.

Why not use Osuna (since there will be no save for him to get) to keep it at one run (you hope) and then look for the walk off win with the heart of the order up?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Huh. I would not have guessed Texas to be the worst pen in the league.

They've given up the most runs, earned runs, homers (by a significant margin), are one of only two teams with a negative WAR in the pen (and by far the worst), and are generally bottom 3-4 in everything else. Their closer from last year, Shawn Tolleson has been awful. Ex-closer Tom Wilhelmsen has been extra garbagey too. To a man, every regularly-pitching member of that pen other than Diekman and Phil Klein has been a smouldering, burning tire fire.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Man, Jays have found some weird ways to lose this year.

Illegal slides, past balls, now Tułow called out on that (right call, not disputing it).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
back to 2 games below .500, time to start jumping off cliffs again

Dickey v. Sale tomorrow, it's gonna be 2 games under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad