Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v7) Next: vs CWS | Tue, Apr 26| 7pm ET/4pm PT | Sale vs Dickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just a reminder of how volatile pens are, I'm pretty sure Matt Albers was with us in the minors and sucked so much he never got a look.

You're thinking of Andrew Albers.

Matt Albers has been around forever as a mostly-kinda-ok pen arm for the likes of Boston, Houston, Baltimore, and Cleveland.

Honestly, that White Sox pen, as effective as it's been, is largely made up of random unheralded guys without much prior success and guys who have traditionally been underwhelming (like Zach Duke).

It's almost like the small sample sizes that bullpen pitchers work in make predicting their success difficult and volatile.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Fair enough, today's game is on bullpen but the season so far (albeit a small sample size) is quite different from where we left off last year.

The Jays pen is the worst in the American League this year so far. They've blown a lot already.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
What does that even mean?

Since coming back from his injury last year (including playoffs) Stroman is 9-0 with an ERA under 3.00. Almost all of those games his catcher was Martin.

What evidence is there to support what you just said?

I mean he calls nothing but balls in the bottom part of the strike zone, removing any unpredictability and taking one of Stroman's greatest attributes away: his wide arsenal of pitches.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I mean he calls nothing but balls in the bottom part of the strike zone, removing any unpredictability and taking one of Stroman's greatest attributes away: his wide arsenal of pitches.

Computers should call balls and strikes.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You're thinking of Andrew Albers.

Matt Albers has been around forever as a mostly-kinda-ok pen arm for the likes of Boston, Houston, Baltimore, and Cleveland.

Honestly, that White Sox pen, as effective as it's been, is largely made up of random unheralded guys without much prior success and guys who have traditionally been underwhelming (like Zach Duke).

It's almost like the small sample sizes that bullpen pitchers work in make predicting their success difficult and volatile.

Meh, we're less than 20 games in. Sox BP won't be nearly this good by the end of the year.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Again, what does that even mean?

Stroman has pitched like a dominant ace, front-of-the-rotation starter since coming back from his injury.

Martin has been his catcher almost all of those games.

Are you actually claiming, he's pitching like that in spite of Martin? An all-star catcher, universally regarded as one of baseball's best?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Again, what does that even mean?

Stroman has pitched like a dominant ace, front-of-the-rotation starter since coming back from his injury.

Martin has been his catcher almost all of those games.

Are you actually claiming, he's pitching like that in spite of Martin? An all-star catcher, universally regarded as one of baseball's best?

No I'm saying that this season so far Martin is calling for too many pitches in the bottom of the zone. I don't give a flying crap about Stroman's record with Martin last year when talking about a bad habit Martin has had to start this season.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
No I'm saying that this season so far Martin is calling for too many pitches in the bottom of the zone. I don't give a flying crap about Stroman's record with Martin last year when talking about a bad habit Martin has had to start this season.

Pitching down in the zone generally keep the opposition in the park. There will be an odd player that can drop down and golf one out but for the most part it induces ground balls and pop outs. Maybe Stro doesn't feel comfortable going high in the zone yet as generally batters out of spring training are ahead of pitchers in terms of comfort.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Jays pen is the worst in the American League this year so far. They've blown a lot already.

ERA: 9th (ahead of: Detroit, Boston (!), Anaheim, Houston, Cleveland, and Texas)

WAR: 9th (ahead of: Tampa Bay, Houston, Minnesota, Cleveland, Anaheim, and Texas)

FIP: 9th (ahead of: Houston, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Anaheim, Cleveland, Texas)

Strand rate: 11th (ahead of: Anaheim, Boston (!), New York (!!), Cleveland)

WHIP: 8th (ahead of: Cleveland, Kansas City (!), Houston, Boston (!!), Detroit, Minnesota, Texas)

I'm going to stop listing the teams behind them but other food for thought:

K%: 7th
BB%: 3rd
Opp. BA: 10th
Hard contact allowed: 7th

So pretty objectively not the worst. If anything, Texas is clearly the worst pen in the AL.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anybody else questioning how the bullpen has been used tonight?

I'm a little mystified.

I didn't like leaving in Stroman after he was hit in the arm. But I can live with that, if he's okay, he's okay.

I didn't like Cecil being left in to face Fraizer. Cecil was supposed to get Eaton out. When he didn't, go to a rightie to face Fraizer.

And what's with using Chavez in the 9th instead of Storen or Osuna? Jays were down by one, any win is going to be a walk off. There is no save to be had for a closer. Why not use one of your two best pen arms to try and keep it at one and win it in the 9th?

Maybe I'm just pissed this game became a train wreck.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
ERA: 9th (ahead of: Detroit, Boston (!), Anaheim, Houston, Cleveland, and Texas)

WAR: 9th (ahead of: Tampa Bay, Houston, Minnesota, Cleveland, Anaheim, and Texas)

FIP: 9th (ahead of: Houston, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Anaheim, Cleveland, Texas)

Strand rate: 11th (ahead of: Anaheim, Boston (!), New York (!!), Cleveland)

WHIP: 8th (ahead of: Cleveland, Kansas City (!), Houston, Boston (!!), Detroit, Minnesota, Texas)

I'm going to stop listing the teams behind them but other food for thought:

K%: 7th
BB%: 3rd
Opp. BA: 10th
Hard contact allowed: 7th

So pretty objectively not the worst. If anything, Texas is clearly the worst pen in the AL.

stop it with this numbers and facts stuff Nem, my eyes knows what they sees

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
And just like that, Bautista doubles and they have two chances to tie it and two chances for a walk off homer - if it is a one-run game that is...

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Anybody else questioning how the bullpen has been used tonight?

I'm a little mystified.

I didn't like leaving in Stroman after he was hit in the arm. But I can live with that, if he's okay, he's okay.

I didn't like Cecil being left in to face Fraizer. Cecil was supposed to get Eaton out. When he didn't, go to a rightie to face Fraizer.

And what's with using Chavez in the 9th instead of Storen or Osuna? Jays were down by one, any win is going to be a walk off. There is no save to be had for a closer. Why not use one of your two best pen arms to try and keep it at one and win it in the 9th?

Maybe I'm just pissed this game became a train wreck.

As long as Gibbons is the manager, Osuna will never pitch when we're behind. Better just make peace with it.

Anyway, Cecil and Storen have both been terrible, so not too much Gibbons can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad