2016 Training camp (and season prep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Who do we think is playing tomorrow? Jumbo said in his scrum that he wasn't. Gonna guess Boedker - Couture - Donskoi will for practice. Pavelski has been out a while as well. Hertl can sit. Marleau - Tierney - Ward makes sense. Maybe put Pavelski between Goldobin and LaBanc? Maybe split up Wingels and Karlsson?

Gonna guess we see something like:

Boedker - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
Goldobin - Pavelski - LaBanc
Nieto - Karlsson - Goodrow

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Who do we think is playing tomorrow? Jumbo said in his scrum that he wasn't. Gonna guess Boedker - Couture - Donskoi will for practice. Pavelski has been out a while as well. Hertl can sit. Marleau - Tierney - Ward makes sense. Maybe put Pavelski between Goldobin and LaBanc? Maybe split up Wingels and Karlsson?

Gonna guess we see something like:

Boedker - Couture - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
Goldobin - Pavelski - LaBanc
Nieto - Karlsson - Goodrow

I'm guessing the whole Team Canada/Europe contingent won't be playing since they just got back into practice. Plus we still have young guys to look at in camp. So something more along these lines.

Donskoi-Hertl-Ward
Marleau-Pavelski-Labanc
Nieto-Tierney-Goldobin
Karlsson-Wingels-Goodrow
Haley

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm guessing the whole Team Canada/Europe contingent won't be playing since they just got back into practice. Plus we still have young guys to look at in camp. So something more along these lines.

Donskoi-Hertl-Ward
Marleau-Pavelski-Labanc
Nieto-Tierney-Goldobin
Karlsson-Wingels-Goodrow
Haley

The world cup players have 6-9 games of preseason games already under there belts. I will guess for the most part most of them will line up in the last preseason game only.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
The world cup players have 6-9 games of preseason games already under there belts. I will guess for the most part most of them will line up in the last preseason game only.

Hertl, Jumbo, Pavs don't really need practice - but Donskoi has been sitting for a while, Boedker needs to learn the system and Couture might as well develop some chemistry with his line-mates. Only reason I included them.

RammsteinGT

Prairie Shark
Sep 24, 2008
YQL/YXE

In light of this, I hate to be *that* guy, but Florida just put Berra on waivers...

At $1.45M, he's about $800K more expensive than Dell. We're about to see just how willing DW is to see what he's got internally.

For what it's worth, I bet we don't claim him - but I also don't think anyone expected him to be on waivers. Lu must be ready sooner than expected.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
In light of this, I hate to be *that* guy, but Florida just put Berra on waivers...

At $1.45M, he's about $800K more expensive than Dell. We're about to see just how willing DW is to see what he's got internally.

For what it's worth, I bet we don't claim him - but I also don't think anyone expected him to be on waivers. Lu must be ready sooner than expected.

And i believe the 800k extra would put the sharks at about 300-400k over the cap.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Reto Berra sucks. I've been more critical of the decision to go with Dell as the backup to start the year than anyone else but I honestly fail to see how Berra is an upgrade. He has a career .906 SV% in 64 NHL games, even worse AHL numbers in the limited time he spent there and even had terrible numbers in the Swiss League in the years he played where data is available. He's a bad goalie.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm honestly very confused about that roster. I see three centers max, assuming they don't put Marleau and Tierney on the same line... I mean, is Labanc, Haley, or Karlsson gonna center a line(s)?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I hope Karlsson centers a line. I think if we have to see Nieto, Karlsson and Wingels as the 4th line Karlsson would make a much better center than Wingels. He played the position much more recently in Sweden. He's better defensively and has better playmaking vision too. Of course you lose out on some of his forechecking utility that way but I think that part of his game is overrated.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I hope Karlsson centers a line. I think if we have to see Nieto, Karlsson and Wingels as the 4th line Karlsson would make a much better center than Wingels. He played the position much more recently in Sweden. He's better defensively and has better playmaking vision too. Of course you lose out on some of his forechecking utility that way but I think that part of his game is overrated.

Besides, Nieto and Wingels are both good forecheckers anyway. So I guess I agree, but it feels really dumb to play our 6th best center at center, rather than, ya know, our four best centers.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Reto Berra sucks. I've been more critical of the decision to go with Dell as the backup to start the year than anyone else but I honestly fail to see how Berra is an upgrade. He has a career .906 SV% in 64 NHL games, even worse AHL numbers in the limited time he spent there and even had terrible numbers in the Swiss League in the years he played where data is available. He's a bad goalie.

Berra had a .922 save percentage year last year in 14 games and a .918 save percentage year the season before that in 19 games in Colorado. The team could do worse but if you have told Dell that he's getting the backup, they may want to actually let him play a game before looking to make an upgrade on him. Your career percentage is based mostly on his poor performance in Calgary during his rookie year with a really bad Flames team in front of him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Berra had a .922 save percentage year last year in 14 games and a .918 save percentage year the season before that in 19 games in Colorado. The team could do worse but if you have told Dell that he's getting the backup, they may want to actually let him play a game before looking to make an upgrade on him. Your career percentage is based mostly on his poor performance in Calgary during his rookie year with a really bad Flames team in front of him.

Colorado was also extremely bad defensively. They had like two good defensemen and a Patrick Roy system of suck.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I'm honestly very confused about that roster. I see three centers max, assuming they don't put Marleau and Tierney on the same line... I mean, is Labanc, Haley, or Karlsson gonna center a line(s)?

I think it's gonna be:
Boedker - Hertl - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
LaBanc - Karlsson - Nieto
Goodrow - Haley - Goldobin

This close to season opener Boedker and Donskoi should be working on chemistry, and Hertl is a fine plug for Couture. Tierney needs some experience with Marleau and Ward. Nieto and Labanc showed some chemistry before, give em a speedy center and let's see em work. And then maybe Haley and Goodrow can grind some **** while Goldobin snipes.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I was expecting an actual competition for the goalie spot but did grosenick and armalis even get a full game each or just a split game?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think it's gonna be:
Boedker - Hertl - Donskoi
Marleau - Tierney - Ward
LaBanc - Karlsson - Nieto
Goodrow - Haley - Goldobin

This close to season opener Boedker and Donskoi should be working on chemistry, and Hertl is a fine plug for Couture. Tierney needs some experience with Marleau and Ward. Nieto and Labanc showed some chemistry before, give em a speedy center and let's see em work. And then maybe Haley and Goodrow can grind some **** while Goldobin snipes.

You'd think that Marleau and Tierney would get a game to try and find some chemistry, but who knows.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I was expecting an actual competition for the goalie spot but did grosenick and armalis even get a full game each or just a split game?

If anything, Grosenick and Dell have been competing for the backup goalie spot for two years and Grosenick lost bad. I guess Armalis isn't ready though but would've liked to see him in a full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad