2016 Trade Deadline Discussion (no illegal streams, see OP) Mod warning #664

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yea it should've been a goal but it wasn't, so it doesn't count on the scoresheet. And I didn't even like Glencross, idk why i'm defending him. How Glencross played has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting to add a depth guy like Stempniak. They're different players.

That's basically the Erat argument, saying that every prospect trade for a veteran player is going to turn into the Forsberg-Erat deal.

Nope. Only every SUCKY veteran player ends up like that. Stempniak is one of those. He's worse than Glencross.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
The only player they should have considered was Hamhuis if they don't believe Carlson will be healthy for the playoffs. Anything else would have been a waste of resources. The bottom 9 forwards on this team are fine, if the top line of Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie don't start playing better 5 on 5 there really isn't much GMBM could do that will help. It's not like he was going to trade 1 of those 3 at this time.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
He wouldn't play Galiev on line 4 in the playoffs tho. Regular season is another beast. He, like most coaches, gets players in to keep them fresh.

He will if 1 or 2 of our forwards are injured. That's why I wanted to acquire a depth guy/possible healthy scratch similar to Weber for the forwards.

We have 2M in cap space with Latta or Galiev next in line. I don't think I'm asking for too much.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Is the objective playing time or playing well? What is your point even? You want to add soft crappy forwards to give us more of what Galiev brings?

My point is Trotz has no problem giving him playing time, and I want to add good bottom 6 forwards who can play over guys like Galiev.

And no way Stempniak is worse than Glencross. Devils fans were absolutely in love with him all season. He had 41 points in 63 games on the worst offensive team in the league.

I might have half the posts in this thread. I think that's enough hypothetical trades for today.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
My point is Trotz has no problem giving him playing time, and I want to add good bottom 6 forwards who can play over guys like Galiev.

And no way Stempniak is worse than Glencross. Devils fans were absolutely in love with him all season. He had 41 points in 63 games on the worst offensive team in the league.

I might have half the posts in this thread. I think that's enough hypothetical trades for today.

Stempniak is a healthy scratch on the Caps roster. Just like Versteeg was in Chicago last year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The ducks won't win or lose the cup over McGinn. Boston won't win or lose the cup over Stempniak. Anaheim won't win or lose the cup over Pirri. LA won't win or lose the cup over Versteeg. Florida won't win or lose the cup over Purcell. Florida won't win or lose the cup over Hudler. Chicago won't win or lose the cup over Weise or Flash.

Why even bother making these trades if you already know that they're going to have absolutely zero impact on your Stanley cup chances?

Every single one of those players is arguably better than Stempniak, and cost less to acquire. Stempniak would be a scratch in DC. Who does he replace, exactly? He is small amd doesn't play a defensive role. So he's scratched unless an injury. You wanted Caps to give up a 2nd and a 4th for that?

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Every single one of those players is arguably better than Stempniak, and cost less to acquire. Stempniak would be a scratch in DC. Who does he replace, exactly? He is small amd doesn't play a defensive role. So he's scratched unless an injury. You wanted Caps to give up a 2nd and a 4th for that?

And Stempniak is arguably better than every one of those players. You'd think I was in love with the guy with how much I'm defending him, but I'd probably rather have Weise.

But as for Stempniak, I'd try him in Wilson's spot and I'd try him on the 4th line, and yes, I would pay that price for injury depth with the potential that this year's team has. Hell you could even try him at 1RW, it just gives you options.

I'd much rather pay that price than the Weber price.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

A mediocre forward putting up decent numbers in New Jersey?

Wow. You don't see that every day!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I see significant value in walking into the draft with $2 million in space.

There's been a lot of activity the past couple of drafts.

You can exceed the salary cap by 10% in the offseason. You also have expiring deals that you have the flexibility to negotiate price on (or not renew). I don't see why you need to go into the draft with cap space.
In his defense, you're not interested in being persuaded on this topic. You've said the same thing in about three different threads and when presented counter arguments you just dismiss them.

To use your same argument, a lot of the big name TDL targets weren't near as good this year as they were in previous years, namely Ladd, Staal, Russell, Vrbata, and Hamhuis.

My posts at least stated an opinion and my rationale, rather than simply a sarcastic chide and no substance.

All of those names you mentioned are still better than 4th liners. My point was that people are seemingly evaluating Winnik on what he was, rather than how he's played this year. It would be the same point if we acquired, say, Staal, and people expected him to be a 70 point forward. In fact, I made this point when people brought up 1st liner Mike Richards. However, I have no gripes when people are honest about the current play of Winnik (or Staal or Richards). Even GMBM basically said that Laich and Winnik are almost equal players (with perhaps a slight edge to Winnik). My gripe was with those who viewed Winnik as a significant upgrade, when his play this season has not been indicative of that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because HAVING cap room and needing to create cap room when the entire league knows they have you between a rock and a hard place would be costly IMO.

I think it's fair to say Winnik has struggled this year. I also expect he just got a nice kick on the ass being traded from his home town again. I think we see a better version in DC...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Looks like the Caps were never truly in on Hamhuis

This makes no sense from Friedman.

I watched the Dan Hamhuis -interview, and when asked he mentioned that after talking with his family, he ruled out the entire Eastern Conference because of geographical reasons. He didn't mention any exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad