2016 Trade Deadline Discussion (no illegal streams, see OP) Mod warning #664

Underpants2

Mar 18, 2013
Boulder, CO
In the past 365 days, the only mistake I think the GM has made was not trading Mike Green at last years deadline.

McPhee was awful. I was getting ready for this guy to be awful too, but he has really surprised me.

I think he's done his part. It's time for the coach and players to figure it out.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we pushed all in on Carlson getting back to 100%. Not putting him on LTIR was as big a non move of any other fans think we should have pulled off, if not bigger.

I am glad we added Weber.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Because you agree on 1 plus top prospect. Say we have to move salary to announce it. Turn around deal Laich and then formally announce the Ladd deal. It's not this hard.

You're funny dude.

Winnipeg wanted a forward, they didn't want salary, and they wanted it done a week before the deadline. Caps couldn't do it, things aren't done in vacuums.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm sure I could come up with a hypothetical in your line of work, that would be pretty much impossible to accomplish, and then grind on you because it didn't.

You are set in your misery here, sorry for that.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
My god, I can't believe I am the voice of reason here today. What is this world coming too?

We won't win or lose the Cup over Lee Stempniak.

The ducks won't win or lose the cup over McGinn. Boston won't win or lose the cup over Stempniak. Anaheim won't win or lose the cup over Pirri. LA won't win or lose the cup over Versteeg. Florida won't win or lose the cup over Purcell. Florida won't win or lose the cup over Hudler. Chicago won't win or lose the cup over Weise or Flash.

Why even bother making these trades if you already know that they're going to have absolutely zero impact on your Stanley cup chances?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The ducks won't win or lose the cup over McGinn. Boston won't win or lose the cup over Stempniak. Anaheim won't win or lose the cup over Pirri. LA won't win or lose the cup over Versteeg. Florida won't win or lose the cup over Purcell. Florida won't win or lose the cup over Hudler. Chicago won't win or lose the cup over Weise or Flash.

Why even bother making these trades if you already know that they're going to have absolutely zero impact on your Stanley cup chances?

With the exception of McGinn all these guys are soft wimps. They don't fit this team's style and they are pretty poor top 6 emergency replacements after Johansson.

They are decent fits on offensively challenged LA, and FL, BOS w no depth and cap strapped CHI.

Context.

Edit: if you could actually make a case for a player (traded or not) improving the team you might be taken seriously.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
With the exception of McGinn all these guys are soft wimps. They don't fit this team's style and they are pretty poor top 6 emergency replacements after Johansson.

They are decent fits on offensively challenged LA, and FL, BOS w no depth and cap strapped CHI.

Context.

Weise is tough, but not sure what that has to do with anything.

The point was they're all going to make a difference and Stempniak would too. It's ignorant to say he would have no impact. But, it's pointless to argue anyway.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
that sneaky edit...

I would've liked Weise, Stempniak, McGinn, and Pirri for their prices. Pirri and Stempniak would be 3rd/4th line scoring depth with potential to move up into a scoring role in case of injury or poor play. Weise would be a perfect fit for the 4th line with ability to move up to the 3rd over Wilson, and still be able to put up points. McGinn would be a big physical presence on the 4th line.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
that sneaky edit...

I would've liked Weise, Stempniak, McGinn, and Pirri for their prices. Pirri and Stempniak would be 3rd/4th line scoring depth with potential to move up into a scoring role in case of injury or poor play. Weise would be a perfect fit for the 4th line with ability to move up to the 3rd over Wilson, and still be able to put up points. McGinn would be a big physical presence on the 4th line.

Stempniak wasn't worth his return (2nd AND 4th). Weise and Flash went for a former first rounder and a 2nd round pick and they were dealt before Laich was dumped. Pirri was the one that took me most by surprise. I don't think anyone expected that deal and a lot of Panthers fans have said in various threads that he was a locker room cancer and they wanted to get him away (dont know how true that is).

GMBM said he was in the market for a depth guy and made multiple offers. I wonder if he targeted Stempniak but wasn't about to deal 2 picks for a guy who wouldn't play and has been dealt at 4? different deadlines now

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

The point was they're all going to make a difference and Stempniak would too. It's ignorant to say he would have no impact. But, it's pointless to argue anyway.

It has everything to do with being a fit on this team. It's the equivalent of being upset we didnt pick up a starting goalie. We play an aggressive, physical, puck pursuit game.

I'd rather have Chimera in our top 6 than any forward traded not named Ladd.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Arguably Mike Richards is a better fit here than any forward moved near the deadline and he didn't cost a thing. Winnik is a clear upgrade and probably a better PK'er and skater over Laich/Galiev/Latta. That 4th line looks darn solid to me now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Not anymore. Chris Nylan and the other host on Montreal radio were just ripping on him for turning "hollywood" and thinking he is a scorer now. Apparently he doesn't hit or stick his nose in anymore. Kind of forgot what got him to where he is.

Glencross had an awesome impact for us last year...well he had awesome impact for the Rangers that is. He was awful and cost us big time. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Not anymore. Chris Nylan and the other host on Montreal radio were just ripping on him for turning "hollywood" and thinking he is a scorer now. Apparently he doesn't hit or stick his nose in anymore. Kind of forgot what got him to where he is.

Glencross had an awesome impact for us last year...well he had awesome impact for the Rangers that is. He was awful and cost us big time. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

When a crusher starts to think he is a rusher, he is soon to become an usher. ;)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
When a crusher starts to think he is a rusher, he is soon to become an usher. ;)

A couple of years into Lou’s tenure, Bruce Driver got injured, so I took over his spot on the power play. I had some good scoring success on the second power-play line, picking up four points in only four games. I was feeling pretty good about myself, but then Bruce came back, and suddenly I wasn’t getting any more time on the power play. Lou always had his pulse on everything going on in the locker room, so he saw me moping around at practice, slumping my head when I got off the team bus and generally just being kind of a downer.

So one day Lou calls me into his office and says, “I can see you aren’t happy right now, so let’s have a talk.†I was honest with him and said that I thought I’d played well on the power play and didn’t know why I’d got taken off it. And Lou, in his matter of fact way, goes, “Well yeah, Bruce came back.†I didn’t say anything, and he continued, “Let me tell you something. I like my team being like an orchestra. In order to make beautiful music, you need violinists, pianists, and you need drummers as well.†Then he paused. “What category do you think you fall in there?†At this point, I know I was pissed because I was in my 20s and thought I was more than capable of having a bigger scoring role. But even though I was turning red, he looked right at me and asked, “Where do you think you fall in there?†And I growled, “Drummer.†“Exactly,†he said. “If you wanna be a violinist, I will find another team that needs a violinist. Hell, I’ll call every other team in the NHL and see if they need a violinist, if that’s what you want. But for us to make good music, I need you to be a drummer and play your role here.â€

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/ken-daneyko-lou-lamoriello-leafs-devils/

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
A couple of years into Lou’s tenure, Bruce Driver got injured, so I took over his spot on the power play. I had some good scoring success on the second power-play line, picking up four points in only four games. I was feeling pretty good about myself, but then Bruce came back, and suddenly I wasn’t getting any more time on the power play. Lou always had his pulse on everything going on in the locker room, so he saw me moping around at practice, slumping my head when I got off the team bus and generally just being kind of a downer.

So one day Lou calls me into his office and says, “I can see you aren’t happy right now, so let’s have a talk.†I was honest with him and said that I thought I’d played well on the power play and didn’t know why I’d got taken off it. And Lou, in his matter of fact way, goes, “Well yeah, Bruce came back.†I didn’t say anything, and he continued, “Let me tell you something. I like my team being like an orchestra. In order to make beautiful music, you need violinists, pianists, and you need drummers as well.†Then he paused. “What category do you think you fall in there?†At this point, I know I was pissed because I was in my 20s and thought I was more than capable of having a bigger scoring role. But even though I was turning red, he looked right at me and asked, “Where do you think you fall in there?†And I growled, “Drummer.†“Exactly,†he said. “If you wanna be a violinist, I will find another team that needs a violinist. Hell, I’ll call every other team in the NHL and see if they need a violinist, if that’s what you want. But for us to make good music, I need you to be a drummer and play your role here.â€

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/ken-daneyko-lou-lamoriello-leafs-devils/

Good stuff. :laugh:

Lou is a phenomenal hockey mind. :)

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Gonna respond to three different people here... lol

I think Stempniak's price would've been worth it. Calling Danault a former first rounder is giving him too much credit. The caps paid a 3rd for a guy who won't play and is a much worse player than Stempniak. And I think Stempniak would be in the lineup over Winnik/Latta/Galiev. Probably not Richards/Beagle because of faceoffs.

Considering Trotz is in love with Galiev right now, I'm not buying the "he's not a fit for the system" excuse. And I'd prefer Stempniak or Pirri before Chimera in the top 6. They're better fits and the hands of stone fits perfectly on the 3rd line.

We would've lost Game 5 against the Rangers in regulation if not for Glencross. IIRC the only time Glencross was a liability was his turnover in OT. And Weise had to play more of an offensive role on the Canadiens with their lack of depth. We don't have that problem here, and Trotz would make sure he knew his role.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Gonna respond to three different people here... lol

I think Stempniak's price would've been worth it. Calling Danault a former first rounder is giving him too much credit. The caps paid a 3rd for a guy who won't play and is a much worse player than Stempniak. And I think Stempniak would be in the lineup over Winnik/Latta/Galiev. Probably not Richards/Beagle because of faceoffs.

Considering Trotz is in love with Galiev right now, I'm not buying the "he's not a fit for the system" excuse. And I'd prefer Stempniak or Pirri before Chimera in the top 6. They're better fits and the hands of stone fits perfectly on the 3rd line.

We would've lost Game 5 against the Rangers in regulation if not for Glencross. IIRC the only time Glencross was a liability was his turnover in OT. And Weise had to play more of an offensive role on the Canadiens with their lack of depth. We don't have that problem here, and Trotz would make sure he knew his role.

What about that no goal against us in game 5 on ward? Think that takes triumph over glencross imo

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

GMBM said today that Weber is a guy that definitely could see action against a more physical team. Winnik would definitely be in over Stempniak. That 4th line is going to be used as a shutdown line and Winnik/Beagle/Richards will all get a lot of PK time

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

So your argument for adding a soft perimeter winger with questionable talent is Galiev? How's that working out?

Brilliant.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Heh...not even that. He had some terrible lazy play in game 6 that cost us a couple goals as well! In fact it forced Trotz to play an "impaired" Eric Fehr in game 7 and he went out and lost a key face off in OT.

Glencross was atrocious and we would have been better off without him in retrospect regardless of the draft picks.

Yes? Sure looks like Trotz has no problem playing him on the 4th line.

He wouldn't play Galiev on line 4 in the playoffs tho. Regular season is another beast. He, like most coaches, gets players in to keep them fresh.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
What about that no goal against us in game 5 on ward? Think that takes triumph over glencross imo

Yea it should've been a goal but it wasn't, so it doesn't count on the scoresheet. And I didn't even like Glencross, idk why i'm defending him. How Glencross played has absolutely nothing to do with me wanting to add a depth guy like Stempniak. They're different players.

That's basically the Erat argument, saying that every prospect trade for a veteran player is going to turn into the Forsberg-Erat deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad