2016 Trade Deadline Discussion (no illegal streams, see OP) Mod warning #664

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I still see the added cap space for next season as an important part of this deal.

After all was said and done after this season what were they going to do with Laich's cap hit? If they want to unload Winnik after this season I think they will have no issues doing that. Ditching Laich's contract in the offseason would have cost at least a similar amount as it did now IMO.

I see significant value in walking into the draft with $2 million in space.

There's been a lot of activity the past couple of drafts.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I see significant value in walking into the draft with $2 million in space.

There's been a lot of activity the past couple of drafts.

And why do we care about next year when this year we are on top form?.. Next year could bring horrible things, like injuries to stars, etc. Who knows? Seems too risky to me to just always plan for next year given the current status of the team.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And why do we care about next year when this year we are on top form?.. Next year could bring horrible things, like injuries to stars, etc. Who knows? Seems too risky to me to just always plan for next year given the current status of the team.

Every player who moved or was rumored to move with the exception of Ladd pretty much sucked IMO. Nothing we did to day would have moved the needle in a meaningful way.

At a minimum, Laich was ****ing terrible and Winnik is at least a 4th line NHL forward who was a 3rd liner a year ago. There's the upgrade.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Every player who moved or was rumored to move with the exception of Ladd pretty much sucked IMO. Nothing we did to day would have moved the needle in a meaningful way.

At a minimum, Laich was ****ing terrible and Winnik is at least a 4th line NHL forward who was a 3rd liner a year ago. There's the upgrade.

I can't imagine there were no veteran types lying around somewhere in the league who would love a shot at the cup for a 4th or so that could have been used as leadership/backup in case of injury, etc.

Let's say Williams went down. That's a huge loss of experience right there. Having another experienced veteran player to fit in would have been a good thing.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The proof, as it always will be, is in the pudding...

This was certainly one way to approach the deadline from where we were sitting. Ultimately, we'll know how we fared based on our performance.

Looking back, not making a significant splash last year hurt our chances, and I was certainly calling for a major move or two at the time because I felt we were on the cusp of being the best team in our club's history. A certifiable fact now that we've made the move or two to push us over the top that I was seeking.

Honestly, I haven't felt mad about it for a while because we've been playing so well, but trading for GlenX and Gleason and not a stud or two last year most likely cost us at least an ECF and maybe even a Cup. Although, who can really say? It's one of those things you'll never know how it would have played out if you had done things differently. Maybe, it would have slowed the development of guys like Kuzy, Bura and Wilson and backfired on us? Right now we'd probably not be looking at Samsonov in the pipeline etc, but that certainly wouldn't bother me. I'm more concerned with giving ourselves every possible opportunity to win the Stanley Cup right now. The Caps definitely failed to do that last year and it sure seems like they could have done a little more this year as well rosterwise...

This time around feels different than last year but there's certainly something to be said for pushing "all in" when you're a contender and we seem allergic to it.

Perhaps we'll open up a prolonged window by being a bit more frugal when it comes to finishing it off...perhaps we'll play the part of maid-in-waiting for eternity.

The proof, as always, is in the pudding...

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wilson has been costing us a lot of goals with dumb Reputation penalties. That does need to change

Has he? Going into last game he was at a -2 penalty differential, even with the rep penalties. Guys like Williams were the same. It's not an issue, it's our own confirmation bias because we know it's happening and we overlook the penalties taken by other players.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So some on here are all bent out of shape that GMBM didn't make a move, any move, prior to the TDL. To the point GMBM's courage, stones if you will, was brought into question. The team is even, possibly, allgeric to doing what needs to be done to push over the top for the Cup.

My question is, outside Ladd, who was traded prior to, and at, the TDL that would of put the Caps over the top? Been hands down better than who is currently on the team? Based on my limited knowledge of NHL players not on the Caps roster it doesn't seem like that type of player was traded or even available.

Its sounded like a bunch of Erat, GlenX, Gleason type players exchanged hands outside of Ladd. Or am I wrong? And if I am wrong, and I am sure I am to a point, were any of these players better than what is currently on the Caps roster? Any of them a difference maker so valuable the Caps had to have them?

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
The proof, as it always will be, is in the pudding...

This was certainly one way to approach the deadline from where we were sitting. Ultimately, we'll know how we fared based on our performance.

Looking back, not making a significant splash last year hurt our chances, and I was certainly calling for a major move or two at the time because I felt we were on the cusp of being the best team in our club's history. A certifiable fact now that we've made the move or two to push us over the top that I was seeking.

Honestly, I haven't felt mad about it for a while because we've been playing so well, but trading for GlenX and Gleason and not a stud or two last year most likely cost us at least an ECF and maybe even a Cup. Although, who can really say? It's one of those things you'll never know how it would have played out if you had done things differently. Maybe, it would have slowed the development of guys like Kuzy, Bura and Wilson and backfired on us? Right now we'd probably not be looking at Samsonov in the pipeline etc, but that certainly wouldn't bother me. I'm more concerned with giving ourselves every possible opportunity to win the Stanley Cup right now. The Caps definitely failed to do that last year and it sure seems like they could have done a little more this year as well rosterwise.

The Caps played the Rangers to a draw, and they got the final bounce. I'm not sure what addition they could've reasonably made that would've made a difference in the series. A bounce here or a save there would've gotten us to the ECF.

I don't think there were any impact trades that were worthwhile this year. We have a good team, and with the Richards and Winnik additions I don't think there are any holes. Everyone is playing exactly where they belong.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's still better than Latta/Galiev, but so was Laich. A 2nd and Carrick is a steep price to upgrade from a meh 4th liner to a slightly better meh 4th liner. Winnik hadn't been the PK and matchup beast he was a couple years ago this season.

I do appreciate your well constructed and thoroughly convincing post. A+ for your persuasive technique. It really added a lot to the discussion.

In his defense, you're not interested in being persuaded on this topic. You've said the same thing in about three different threads and when presented counter arguments you just dismiss them.

To use your same argument, a lot of the big name TDL targets weren't near as good this year as they were in previous years, namely Ladd, Staal, Russell, Vrbata, and Hamhuis.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Friedman is contradicting himself. First he says Hamhuis was not interested in the Eastern conference and then he says Hamhuis only considered top teams in the East such as WSH/NYR/FLA?

Am I the only one who doesn't understand?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Friedman is contradicting himself. First he says Hamhuis was not interested in the Eastern conference and then he says Hamhuis only considered top teams in the East such as WSH/NYR/FLA?

You're not. I saw it that way, too.

Regardless, NOBODY got him. It's clear it was a difficult transaction to pull off. When a guy is openly admitting he wants to return to the same team even if he's a rental, it's a selling GM's dream. Or it should be. Why wouldn't Benning just rent the guy out and make some kind of pick/prospect profit?

Unless he didn't believe Hamhuis was sincere, and was afraid to lose him for peanuts, and stuck to a high trade price. The teams on the short list probably knew it and lowballed. The only teams offering enough were probably shot down by Hamhuis.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

What I got out of it was that Hamhuis didn't want anyone in the East that wasn't atop of the standings, hence the Washington/NYR/Florida comment.

Sounds like those top teams didn't want to deal for Hamhuis and I'm assuming that's due to the fact that the price was rumored to be steep.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

There's just as much of a chance that Ovie gets injured in the this playoffs as in the next one. You can't act like these hypothetical problems can't happen this year too. We'll be heading into next year with virtually the same roster, and the assets you're so cavalier about trading would buy better improvements in the offseason than at the TDL. There's no need to act like our window is slamming shut before our eyes.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You're not. I saw it that way, too.

Regardless, NOBODY got him. It's clear it was a difficult transaction to pull off. When a guy is openly admitting he wants to return to the same team even if he's a rental, it's a selling GM's dream. Or it should be. Why wouldn't Benning just rent the guy out and make some kind of pick/prospect profit?

Unless he didn't believe Hamhuis was sincere, and was afraid to lose him for peanuts, and stuck to a high trade price. The teams on the short list probably knew it and lowballed. The only teams offering enough were probably shot down by Hamhuis.

If Hamhuis is not sincere, he will just pack his bags and leave in the summer. I don't see how that would influence the decision to rent him at the TDL. He should've taken the highest offer that was on Hamhuis' list and called it a day. But nope, Dim Jim strikes again.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The Doom & Gloom crowd in here should be banned from celebrating if the Caps do well in the playoffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If Hamhuis is not sincere, he will just pack his bags and leave in the summer. I don't see how that would influence the decision to rent him at the TDL. He should've taken the highest offer that was on Hamhuis' list and called it a day. But nope, Dim Jim strikes again.

I'm not saying it was smart, I'm just trying to figure it out.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I'm not doom and gloom I just think Webber, winnick and 2mill cap space next season is a waste of a 2nd and 3rd pick.

Maybe the cap space this season gives us a chance to pick a high paid guy off the waivers

I would have rather held the assets, but the TDL prices are always so high.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
A guy that won't help the team... He's been awesome for New Jersey, he's always been a great bottom 6 guy who can score, play well defensively, and PK. He can definitely play on the 4th line if Galiev can, which is what's going to happen in the playoffs.

What improvement will we need next year that we don't need this year? All of our young guys will be better. I expect us to sign all of our free agents, except maybe Richards and Weber, who aren't priorities.

My god, I can't believe I am the voice of reason here today. What is this world coming too?

We won't win or lose the Cup over Lee Stempniak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad