WC: 2016 Team USA

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Santini has been pretty good. He's been their 3rd best defenseman possession wise. Hasn't made many mistakes and been solid all around. Wood has been okay in his role. He would have much better numbers if he played with more skilled players. He's played with Hendricks almost exclusively and Hendricks has dragged him down a bit cause he can't make plays to get Wood the puck more often. If he had gotten to play with guys like Hinostroza/Connor/Vatrano he would be looking better. Santini definitely has been the better of the 2 but neither have looked overmatched.

personally I thought Wood has looked like garbage. Took a bad penalty yesterday, and just horrible hockey decisions with the puck in the zone..I want him nowhere on the ice tomorrow...he simply is not ready for this level. not being harsh on him, he will be a good player, just the past few games his play has really gone down in my eyes.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's going to take a minor miracle to beat Canada but fun while its lasting

hey, this group is going to be playing for a medal..

let me reiterate this..this USA team, which many of us felt was one of the worst assembled in some time, is now playing for a medal :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::handclap:

seeding is very important and plays a big role in how far you go, but finally our goaltender stepped up and stole a win. very happy for these guys and no matter what happens next, far exceeded most of our expectations.

proud of this Motley Crue, and for all those that sat at home as usual can go eat it as they could have been here helping out these boys.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
and if there was any doubt as to who should go #1 I think that ship has sailed.

Matthews IS team USA..if he doesn't produce, we don't win.

Laine is a great player and he is producing, but has had a much more productive cast around him. He is well deserving of #2 and I am completely impressed by his hands and shot. He is legit. Just can't see Toronto passing on Matthews for #1 overall. Kid is clutch and can carry the load which he is proving.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
and if there was any doubt as to who should go #1 I think that ship has sailed.

Matthews IS team USA..if he doesn't produce, we don't win.

Laine is a great player and he is producing, but has had a much more productive cast around him. He is well deserving of #2 and I am completely impressed by his hands and shot. He is legit. Just can't see Toronto passing on Matthews for #1 overall. Kid is clutch and can carry the load which he is proving.

Yeah that's a done deal...To me, the real decision is who to pick second Laine or Puljujarvi? The latter , to me, has a more complete skill-set/game and is the safer pick/surer bet...albeit not such a potentially prolific goal scorer

But gotta keep things topical, so let me close by saying...Good luck Yankees...

in the Bronze Medal Game...cause ur done like dinner on the morrow :naughty:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah that's a done deal...To me, the real decision is who to pick second Laine or Puljujarvi? The latter , to me, has a more complete skill-set/game and is the safer pick/surer bet...albeit not such a potentially prolific goal scorer

But gotta keep things topical, so let me close by saying...Good luck Yankees...

in the Bronze Medal Game...cause ur done like dinner on the morrow :naughty:

what, Patrick Maroon, Matt Hendricks, and Miles Wood doesn't instill fear in you guys? :popcorn:

needle

Apr 30, 2012
U.S. TV ratings for the games so far:
vs. Canada: 30K
vs. Canada: 141K (same-day replay)
vs. Belarus: 45K
vs. Finland: 42K
vs. France: 30K
vs. France: 94K (same-day replay)
vs. Hungary: 26K
vs. Germany: 81K
vs. Slovakia: 16K
vs. Czech Republic: 28K

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I just keep getting happier and happier about being in the semi's again.

Thats all I have to say.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

lol, what the hell are these numbers? :laugh:

needle

Apr 30, 2012
lol, what the hell are these numbers? :laugh:

:laugh:

To be fair most of the games have been on at 9am and 12 pm eastern time during the work week, but still, this tournament is invisible in the U.S.

The only international sports tournaments the U.S. cares about are the Summer Olympics, Winter Olympics, and FIFA World Cup. As the years pass, I believe the World Baseball Classic, FIBA Basketball World Cup, and World Cup of Hockey will rise in popularity as well, but non-best on best tournaments like the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, WBSC Premier12, and IFAF World Championship will never gain traction. Better chance of the Cricket or Rugby World Cups getting some buzz than a non-best on best tournament.

By the way, this is my source: http://sportstvratings.com/.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
:laugh:

To be fair most of the games have been on at 9am and 12 pm eastern time during the work week, but still, this tournament is invisible in the U.S.

The only international sports tournaments the U.S. cares about are the Summer Olympics, Winter Olympics, and FIFA World Cup. As the years pass, I believe the World Baseball Classic, FIBA Basketball World Cup, and World Cup of Hockey will rise in popularity as well, but non-best on best tournaments like the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, WBSC Premier12, and IFAF World Championship will never gain traction. Better chance of the Cricket or Rugby World Cups getting some buzz than a non-best on best tournament.

By the way, this is my source: http://sportstvratings.com/.

Very true. Basketball is huge here and for years many people couldn't care less about FIBA's World Championship, even when it was held in the US back in 2002. It got a little better for the FIBA World Cup in 2014 and will improve in the future but if Americans as a whole don't care that much about the World Championship in basketball, a sport like hockey that is far less popular will have trouble getting many viewers for this tournament. I'm a diehard fan but those are the ones that watch. Up until a few years ago I didn't even know this thing existed cause it was never talked about ever. If this tournament was more popular, it wouldn't be getting bumped off for horse racing and auto shows cause it would be far more of a priority and they'd show games with teams that aren't the US for once.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Wow. That's all you can really say about that.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
The 7:00 minute stretch were the US scored 3 goals was impressive. Really good game, everyone fought hard and the US could have snuck out with the upset. Really pleased with the effort.

The much maligned Talbot saved Canada's bacon (eh hem) late in the 3rd.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Proud of this team. I thought they were the better team today against Canada and deserved the win, but Talbot made some huge saves. With a little better finish, they'd be playing for gold.

I'm not sure what to expect against Russia in the Bronze medal game. Both teams will be obviously disappointed, and Team USA usually doesn't play well after losing to Canada. Russia will be the favorite, but if the team shows up like they did today, I'll be happy regardless of the result.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Simply couldn't be any prouder of these guys. When you look across the ice and you see Perry, Hall, McDavid, Marchand, Stone, Domi etc you can imagine any team buckling under the pressure.

This team simply went out there and played their hearts out. They didn't care about the name on the back, they cared about what was on the front. These kids and everyone gave it their all, and simply outplayed a team Canada far superior in talent. Cam Talbot WAS the reason they won, never in a million years would I think I would be saying that.

Teams like this that bring passion and pride are always going to be the most fun to watch because they are here because they actually give a **** and want to win. I hope we win the bronze and Russia doesn't bother to show up, but this team has far exceeded my expectations and simply has made me a fan despite losing Glendening and Connor to injuries.

Hanifin is a stud. He reminds of Drew Doughty out there. Auston Matthews is simply at another level and will be a bonafide star. Dylan Larkin is our next Ryan Kesler. And Fasching, Motte, Vatrano, and Connor will all be in the NHL next year making this team not so bad talent wise when you look back next year.

So proud of these guys, they played their hearts out and as USA Hockey fans, that's all you can ask for!! :handclap::handclap:

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Great tournament. I'll be surprised if we dont get smoked tomorrow but these guys should feel really good about this tourney.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I'm not sure what to expect against Russia in the Bronze medal game. Both teams will be obviously disappointed, and Team USA usually doesn't play well after losing to Canada. Russia will be the favorite, but if the team shows up like they did today, I'll be happy regardless of the result.

They beat the home team last year, they can do it again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad