WC: 2016 Team USA

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Generally beset by player rejection year after year...could this year be the perfect storm for Team USA. As it stands right now almost the entire roster looks to be available come the close of the NHL season on April 9.

J GAUDREAU J PAVALSKI B WHEELER
JVR J EICHEL P KESSEL
B NELSON T JOHNSON K PALMIERI or B RYAN or R CALLAHAN
B SAAD B DUBINKSY K OKPOSO

S MOSES A MATTHEWS

S GOSTISBEHERE J FAULK
J GARDINER D BYFUGLIEN or S JONES
N LEDDY E JOHNSON
N HANNIFIN J TROUBA

B BISHOP
C HELLEBUYCK
J GIBSON

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
USA did not bring these players
they are massive decline invites

again...speculation on my part much like the Team Canada roster. perhaps this year will be different and all or most American players accept invites.

I'll be rooting for a Canada v USA final in Moscow.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Assuming these teams don't make the play-offs: Vancouver, Calgary, San Jose, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Arizona, Carolina, Toronto, Buffalo, Columbus, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Ottawa.

Johnny Gaudreau (no contract tho) - Jack Eichel - Brandon Saad
James van Riemsdyk - Auston Matthews - Blake Wheeler
Drew Stafford - Brandon Dubinsky - Cam Atkinson
Jimmy Vesey - Matt Hendricks - Kyle Palmieri
J.T. Compher

Jacob Trouba - Justin Faulk
Shayne Gostisbehere - Seth Jones
Noah Hanifin - Connor Murphy
Brett Pesce / John Moore / Matt Hunwick

Connor Hellebuyck
Garret Sparks
Anthony Stolarz

This is probably still unrealistic.

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
again...speculation on my part much like the Team Canada roster. perhaps this year will be different and all or most American players accept invites.

US-Canadian finals will surely be at the World Cup in Toronto)
I do not think that now the European teams can win the Americans on home ice:popcorn:

snizzbone*

Have to think Gardiner makes the squad if the Leafs are out.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

Even if some of them do it would be great. Say JVR, Pavelski, T. Johnson and Goudeau join Eichel and Matthews that would be great. US won the Bronze last year with a team that pretty much everyone complained about in the begining.

Half of the roster you mentioned would be good. I hope the US mixes in some college kids again though. It was fun watching the US make the medal round. Everyone that questioned the US commitment to the tournament were wrong.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I could see quite a good team for the US. I also believe that the World Cup will play its role here. USA Hockey must submit their 16-player roster for the World Cup, no later than March 1. If you are a player and want to play at the WC and you're not in that first roster, you sure take the chance to play at the WHC. Same for Canada.

I guess, that's a speculation on how much it will influence the players, and I guess we will see in April. But if the amount of good players is a lot above the normal, I'm sure the WC is the reason.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
one of these years...it will be different...

These are pre Olympic years where fringe players are more likely to say yes. The good news is our youth depth has finally started producing enough depth to be competitive at these tournaments even with just the U25 kids.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
These are pre Olympic years where fringe players are more likely to say yes. The good news is our youth depth has finally started producing enough depth to be competitive at these tournaments even with just the U25 kids.

agreed on this.

I would imagine a few high end skilled college kids are coming on board this year, and I couldn't be any happier.

Jake Walman - D - I would be shocked if team USA does not invite him just for the sole purpose of his playing for this country. Now I know he was ineligible to play at the WJC so not sure by the time this rolls around if anything changes or what USA can do, but he has a spot if he can play.

Kyle Connor - why the F not. Destroying NCAA hockey at a rate pretty comparable to Jack Eichel last year in all honesty. he belongs here if given the chance after the horrendous WJC snub.

J.T Compher - exciting player looking amazing at Michigan as well - bring him on board if needed.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Obviously some of these guys will decline, but disregarding any lingering injuries (I'm obviously not in NHL lockerooms and don't keep up with this) I could see this being realistic. Also some of these teams might make the playoffs obviously, but based entirely on current standings.

Even though I don't care, there is a chance that some guys will take the chance to impress in advance of the World Cup.

Saad-Eichel-Palmieri
Gaudreau-Mathews-Etem
Gerbe-Copp-Atkinson
McCormick-Bonino-Skille
Tkachuk

Fowler-Faulk
Hanifin-Jones
Gostisbehere-Trouba
Werenski

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Kinkaid

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Even though I don't care, there is a chance that some guys will take the chance to impress in advance of the World Cup.

Saad-Eichel-Palmieri
Gaudreau-Mathews-Etem
Gerbe-Copp-Atkinson
McCormick-Bonino-Skille
Tkachuk

Fowler-Faulk
Hanifin-Jones
Gostisbehere-Trouba
Werenski

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Kinkaid

Top six forwards look real good, defense looks good and would be very happy with that goaltending. Gaudreau and Matthews would be a lot of fun to watch. Johnny played well last time he played in this tournament.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
agreed on this.

I would imagine a few high end skilled college kids are coming on board this year, and I couldn't be any happier.

Jake Walman - D - I would be shocked if team USA does not invite him just for the sole purpose of his playing for this country. Now I know he was ineligible to play at the WJC so not sure by the time this rolls around if anything changes or what USA can do, but he has a spot if he can play.

Kyle Connor - why the F not. Destroying NCAA hockey at a rate pretty comparable to Jack Eichel last year in all honesty. he belongs here if given the chance after the horrendous WJC snub.

J.T Compher - exciting player looking amazing at Michigan as well - bring him on board if needed.

Vesey and Gryzlek are the 1st 2 NCAA players that should get invite.

With Lyon in net

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Obviously some of these guys will decline, but disregarding any lingering injuries (I'm obviously not in NHL lockerooms and don't keep up with this) I could see this being realistic. Also some of these teams might make the playoffs obviously, but based entirely on current standings.

Saad-Eichel-Palmieri
Gaudreau-Mathews-Etem
Gerbe-Copp-Atkinson
McCormick-Bonino-Skille
Tkachuk

Fowler-Faulk
Hanifin-Jones
Gostisbehere-Trouba
Werenski

Gibson
Hellebuyck
Kinkaid

That would be a fun defense to watch.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Vesey and Gryzlek are the 1st 2 NCAA players that should get invite.

With Lyon in net

not sure I would want Grzelcyk out of all the names out there...never been that big of a fan of his to be honest.

Vesey is 100% a name I want to see here.

Wouldn't care if 5-6 kids from college came onto this team plus Matthews and Milano. I want talent no matter the age.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
not sure I would want Grzelcyk out of all the names out there...never been that big of a fan of his to be honest.

Vesey is 100% a name I want to see here.

Wouldn't care if 5-6 kids from college came onto this team plus Matthews and Milano. I want talent no matter the age.

Yeah but Milano is not more talented right now than an NHL third liner.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
just thought I'd give the thread a bump with an updated 'possible' roster...probably still a little ambitious...but what the hell...

J GAUDREAU J EICHEL K PALMIERI
M PACIORETTY A GALCHENYUK S MOSES (I'd like to see him get another shot w/WHC team)
N FOLIGNO B DUBINKSY C ATKINSON
B SAAD A MATTHEWS K OKPOSO

J VESEY S MILANO

S GOSTISBEHERE J FAULK
J GARDINER J PETRY
N LEDDY S JONES
N HANNIFIN J TROUBA

C HELLEBUYCK
J GIBSON

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
just thought I'd give the thread a bump with an updated 'possible' roster...probably still a little ambitious...but what the hell...

J GAUDREAU J EICHEL K PALMIERI
M PACIORETTY A GALCHENYUK S MOSES (I'd like to see him get another shot w/WHC team)
N FOLIGNO B DUBINKSY C ATKINSON
B SAAD A MATTHEWS K OKPOSO

J VESEY S MILANO

S GOSTISBEHERE J FAULK
J GARDINER J PETRY
N LEDDY S JONES
N HANNIFIN J TROUBA

C HELLEBUYCK
J GIBSON

Okposo is a free agent no?

Ad

Upcoming events