WC: 2016 Team USA

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I expect that the USA brass on most years would invite Matthews to this tournament. However with the World Cup coming next fall, is USA hockey going to issue out ultimatums? If so, we may see a Pacioretty, a Parise etc.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I expect that the USA brass on most years would invite Matthews to this tournament. However with the World Cup coming next fall, is USA hockey going to issue out ultimatums? If so, we may see a Pacioretty, a Parise etc.

I can't believe that there will be anything but guys with no hope and a few bubble players in the WC for any country this year. To plat in the WC and then turn around and play in the circus the NHL has come up with is way too much hockey for top tier players.

dwanmaster*

Matthews is a lock? He should be.

I'm pretty sure he was going to make the team last year. Even scored a goal in the exhibition game he played in.
I think he asked to go back to the USA so he could finish his junior year of high school

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

I mean the veteran guys didn't play in the Olympics year Worlds.

Jeff Petry
Jamie McBain
Erik Johnson
Danny Kristo
Jacob Trouba
Stephen Gionta
Bobby Butler
Nick Bjugstad
Craig Smith
Aaron Palushaj
David Moss
Tim Stapleton
Ryan Carter
Drew LeBlanc
Matt Hunwick
Matt Carle
Paul Stastny
Justin Faulk
Alex Galchenyuk
Chris Butler
Nate Thompson
T. J. Oshie

Know how many of those guys made the Olympic squad? Two. And Justin Faulk was mostly a scratch.

So I fail to see this ****** World Cup tournament as much of an incentive to guys, let alone for USA hockey to put their foot down.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Craig Anderson,Connor Hellebuyck,Keith Kinkaid

Johnny Gaudreau-Jack Eichel-Bobby Ryan
Kyle Palmieri-Brandon Dubinsky-Cam Atkinson
Brandon Saad-Alex Galchenyuk-Nick Foligno
Drew Stafford-Oston Mattheus-Jason Pominville
? ?

Shayne Gostisbehere-Justin Faulk
Seth Jones-Erik Johnson
Andy Greene-Zach Bogosian
?

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Anderson,Condon,Hellebuyck

B.Ryan-Eichel-Palmieri
Saad-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Foligno-Galchenyuk-Gaudreau
Stafford-Mattheus-Pominville

Gostisbehere- Faulk
Jones-Johnson
Gardiner-Trouba
Bogosian

Nice team you have there, but it is still too optimistic, imo. We'll see. Hopefully I am wrong, and you are right.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Given that WC rosters have been named a few players who will be available may not be motived to show up for this tournament, but here's a potential roster of players who will be available and motivated?:

I made the assumption that the Islanders make an early PO exit and that the U24 players regardless of being named to the gimmicky World Cup team will want to play in this. It's an assumption.

J GAUDREAU J EICHEL B RYAN
B SAAD A GALCHENYUK S MOSES
N FOLIGNO B DUBINKSY C ATKINSON
B NELSON A MATTHEWS K PALMIERI

J VESEY S MILANO

S GOSTISBEHERE J FAULK
J GARDINER S JONES
N LEDDY J TROUBA
N HANNIFIN

C HELLEBUYCK
C ANDERSON
M CONDON

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I'm very confident that, if the team standings is as of today, the US will get forwards J.Van Riemsdyk, Eichel, Saad, Palmieri, Atkinson, and Gadureau, and defensemen Jones, Faulk, Gostisbehere, E.Johnson, and Trouba, and goaltender Hellebuyck. Hanifin, McCabe, and Gardiner will have a chance too.

Ryan, Dubinski, Foligno, Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Schneider would be elite bonus, but they are a maybe for me. The first three are not on the World Cup roster, so I think there is a bit bigger chance they will go than for the other three, but I could imagine at least Wheeler going.

edit: Forgot Pacioretty and Galchenyuk....Galchenyuk will go I'm pretty sure. Pacioretty maybe.

Last edited:

ergi24

Feb 19, 2015
Slovakia
Connor Hellebuyck
Mike Condon

GOSTISBEHERE - FAULK
GARDINER - JONES
HANIFIN - TROUBA
SLAVIN - MURPHY

PACIORETTY - GALCHENYUK - WHEELER
GAUDREAU - EICHEL - PALMIERI
SAAD - MATTHEWS - ATKINSON

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Anderson
Condon

Gostisbehere - E.Johnson
Trouba - Jones
Hanifin - Gardiner

Ryan - Galchenyuk - Palmieri
Gaudreau - Eichel - Atkinson
Foligno - Dubinsky - Stafford
Vesey - Matthews - Connor

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I very much would like to see Eichel play with Gaudreau on a line. Way more than anything else I can put together.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Whoah these rosters got way too many pros on them. We need a few college kids, Conner, Compher, and Boeser for starters. Ryan Lasch from the SHL would be great, Mike Sislo has been a pretty strong AHLer and then Tim Stapleton can still skate I think. You lock those and a few more, maybe Tkachuk who knows, then fill the rest of the spots with whoever gets knocked out of the playoffs.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Whoah these rosters got way too many pros on them. We need a few college kids, Conner, Compher, and Boeser for starters. Ryan Lasch from the SHL would be great, Mike Sislo has been a pretty strong AHLer and then Tim Stapleton can still skate I think. You lock those and a few more, maybe Tkachuk who knows, then fill the rest of the spots with whoever gets knocked out of the playoffs.

We have enough young depth I think that we don't need guys like Lasch or Stapleton.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
It's not about need. There are always a few Europeans they send over to play the WC every year just to make it clear we're not really trying.

No, it's about filling a roster. It's fine to have enough good young players that CAN fill a roster, but you need enough players to ACTUALLY fill the roster. The US tends to have bad participation levels year to year. Hopefully a new generation combined with a little success will help those participation levels.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
No, it's about filling a roster. It's fine to have enough good young players that CAN fill a roster, but you need enough players to ACTUALLY fill the roster. The US tends to have bad participation levels year to year. Hopefully a new generation combined with a little success will help those participation levels.
There are around 180 americans in the NHL and they can't fill out a roster... given 8/30 teams are in the playoffs so rough math there are 132 players available. Trust me, they do not send out 132 invites every year and oh dad gummit only 15 people said yes now the college students now the Europeans. USA Hockey has always turned it's nose up at the WC a little bit and I only see them doing so more and more now with the World Cup. They'll bring in young players, they'll bring in college students, they'll bring in europeans, it's not because they literally can't fill out a roster with NHL players, just chilling that's all.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
USA Hockey has always turned it's nose up at the WC a little bit and I only see them doing so more and more now with the World Cup. They'll bring in young players, they'll bring in college students, they'll bring in europeans, it's not because they literally can't fill out a roster with NHL players, just chilling that's all.

USA won bronze last year with a supposed "nose-turned-up-roster". Some NHL players can't participate because of injury, looming free agency or, in Bobby Ryan's case family case, family commitments.

Nothing to do with "chilling". NHL playoffs have a lot to do with the US roster as well.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
A Canada-U.S. final would be ideal.

Matthews is at home in Arizona resting before heading out to join the NTDP in Michigan and then off to the WHC.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
USA won bronze last year with a supposed "nose-turned-up-roster". Some NHL players can't participate because of injury, looming free agency or, in Bobby Ryan's case family case, family commitments.

Nothing to do with "chilling". NHL playoffs have a lot to do with the US roster as well.
Yep, no need to try harder. Someone earlier was mocking last year's team but what's better than good? Good enough.

You're still trying to tell me that around 130 players every year turn down invitations such that only 15 players can play, not to mention AHL players, USA Hockey doesn't send the best American players to the WC every year and they don't need to. They send sensations like Eichel for some positive press, they send young players, older players. The prompt is what the US roster for the WC is going to look like. It's fun to put together a lot of overpowered names but if you want to actually guess what the roster will look like you need to remember college kids, euro guys, AHL guys, because they're there every year and their likely to be there this year too.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
There are around 180 americans in the NHL and they can't fill out a roster... given 8/30 teams are in the playoffs so rough math there are 132 players available. Trust me, they do not send out 132 invites every year and oh dad gummit only 15 people said yes now the college students now the Europeans. USA Hockey has always turned it's nose up at the WC a little bit and I only see them doing so more and more now with the World Cup. They'll bring in young players, they'll bring in college students, they'll bring in europeans, it's not because they literally can't fill out a roster with NHL players, just chilling that's all.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1831645&page=19

Go back and read last years thread trying to get players, it's not easy. Not to mention, there are a lot of NHL players that the US could invite, that wouldn't be as useful in this tournament as players playing in Europe, and the really really good college players. Austin Matthews as an example, is probably better than more 75% of the forwards for the US in the NHL.

Not to mention, there are lots of skilled USA players playing in Europe, that understand the big ice, and are a lot more useful than say a Hendricks (last years captain) at scoring goals or defending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad