Status
Not open for further replies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This is ****ing good team! Damn.
1.Laine-Koivu-Granlund
2.Jokinen-Barkov-Pulkkinen

Top 6 is beasty and probably even underrated because it holds such high level 2 way play and goal scoring touch in the same time. Pulkkinen didin't find himself in Redwings, but he has the touch it seems in NT. He might be underrated player currently. 2nd line center is almost ppg in the NHL, very good 2way, lady byng nominee. Hardly in Finnish NT so far this has happened, specially at just worlds.. Also size is great in the team. Wow

Koivu doesn't need much representation at this point... but Sebastion aho, just wow. Does this kid ever truly bring huge assests to this level, too. He is 0% in for any kind of hype, the way he plays the game is definitely underrated internationally at this point.

And then the guys like Rantanen, Pihlström, Komarov, Koskiranta rocking the lower lines.. talk about solid team, they know how to do that job at very high level, and Rantanen brings surprising offensive talent to those lines, posting mind boggling 24+36=60 in 52 games in the AHL, being called an NHL'er by Joe sakic. Put him with Aho.

Pihlströms wheel's are going to help this team, again. He could be ideal for 13th forward, too. He could bring some fresh legs to some shifts at optimal point and draw penalties. Sallinen's and Koskiranta are professional and rock solid last line, not sure if its Pyörälä who is in the injury reserve.

Sizes of l"ess known" players: Koskiranta 6'3, Lajunen 6'2, Rantanen 6'3. All good 2way and pretty skilled. Perhaps Rantanen is not unknown though even for non-finnish posters.

1.Laine-Koivu-Granlund
2.Jokinen-Barkov-Pulkkinen
3. Komarov - Lajunen - Aho
4. Pihlström - Koskiranta - Rantanen

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It is surprising considering it was rumoured and highlighted in CBC broadcast yesterday that Rinne might have got an injury in last playoff game, but I guess Saros was #4 in the pecking order so it wasn't a problem or Rinne just is healthy.
Rinne will of course play as long as there's enough duct tape in the equipment locker to hold his limbs together. So it's a long shot that even Hutton, let alone the third string will catch a game. I think it ultimately fell into Saros having the opportunity to play tough competitive games, whereas Mazanec did apparently not have the same.

Though when I look at the Czech roster, I do wonder if they could've used Mazanec.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why 15 forwards? Keeping both Pihlström and Pyörälä doesn't really make sense.

Exactly this. And anyway Pihlström 1+1 during his whole season is really that bad that not even a player in 4th line should have in our national team. Rather Pulju as 13th forward, or then J.Sallinen or Kuusela. Total brainfart picking Pihlström with the season he has had. Otherwise very good picks in general. Even surprisingly good team picked by Koojii. Pokka, Lindell and Saros are magnificent additions to the team. And thank God Melart and even MaG are out. Would have been so wrong if those two would have been chosen instead of any guys in the team (well except of Pihlström, whom is a horrible choice).

Last edited:

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Rinne will of course play as long as there's enough duct tape in the equipment locker to hold his limbs together. So it's a long shot that even Hutton, let alone the third string will catch a game. I think it ultimately fell into Saros having the opportunity to play tough competitive games, whereas Mazanec did apparently not have the same.

Though when I look at the Czech roster, I do wonder if they could've used Mazanec.

Thats IT.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Highly doubt that he would be upgrade over Furch/Francouz, they are good KHL starting goalies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Highly doubt that he would be upgrade over Furch/Francouz, they are good KHL starting goalies.
We have a pretty good KHL starter in Koskinen too, and still some of us consider Saros an upgrade over him, or at the very least a very even challenger.

Then again, the goalie standards are pretty damn high in Finland.

Saros will be the starter, right?
Hard to say, actually. We'll see. I'm pretty sure though he won't be 3rd string. They wouldn't have gone over the hassle of dragging him across the pond this late to put him on popcorn duty. Metsola/Husso would've sufficed well for that.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
We have a pretty good KHL starter in Koskinen too, and still some of us consider Saros an upgrade over him, or at the very least a very even challenger.

Then again, the goalie standards are pretty damn high in Finland.

Yep, but I am pretty sure that Saros is much better than Mazanec. :)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Dear hockey gods, this picture is not posted with usual Jinxing mentality, it is just to represent the good wibes I get from the roster:

1136804.jpg

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Koskinen and saros will get starts. Normally jusse should make the race for the do or die games but we will see what the games will bring.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Koskinen and saros will get starts. Normally jusse should make the race for the do or die games but we will see what the games will bring.

I'm not very high on Koskinen. I truly hope Saros is in his game shape. He should bypass Koskinen easily if it is the case. If he doesn't, Backström is in the formula, too.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am not 100% sure what's the deal with Ristolainen. Did he refuse due to contract situation? Just imagine if he signed a new contract extension at some point in next week and gave a call to finnish hockey federation with interest to go. What a team that would be! :amazed: :)

Or is it completely unrealistic?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yep, but I am pretty sure that Saros is much better than Mazanec.
That's a pretty big compliment to Saros, given how him and Mazanec seemed to be pretty much neck-to-neck in Milwaukee. But we'll take it. :)

I am not 100% sure what's the deal with Ristolainen. Did he refuse due to contract situation? Just imagine if he signed a new contract extension at some point in next week and gave a call to finnish hockey federation with interest to go. What a team that would be!

Or is it completely unrealistic?
If he actually gets his contract... who knows. I just don't think him signing that quick is likely. If the Sabres management know he's going to go if he signs, could be that they even wish to stall it a bit.

But yeah, Ristolainen being in or not is all on Risto himself. If he wanted to join, our management would have him, no question.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is my guess: Since we we got only 2 top teams in our group USA and Canada, Saros & Koskinen will split the games. If there's no big difference in the performances of our goalies Saros gets the priority and first playoff game.

Saros: group stage 5 games, vs Canada, playoff game
Koskinen: group stage 2 games, vs USA

EDIT: I changed my mind when checking the order of games. USA game comes first and Canada game later so that means the #1 goalie plays the USA game and if that game is won the same goalie for sure plays the CAN game too.

Dallas defender depth & Nashville's goalie depth are absolutely amazing when they can afford to send these players away during playoffs. They should do some trading and fill some needs on other positions or trade for future draft picks.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This is my guess: Since we we got only 2 top teams in our group USA and Canada, Saros & Koskinen will split the games. If there's no big difference in the performances of our goalies Saros gets the priority and first playoff game.

Saros: group stage 5 games, vs Canada, playoff game
Koskinen: group stage 2 games, vs USA
Somehow I doubt it'll be that heavily on Saros' favor.

I'd say this: Koskinen will get the final preliminary vs. USA. In the tournament proper, they'll give Koskinen three starts and Saros other three (including the "2nd" USA game). Then they'll determine who starts against Canada, and preferably carries the net from there on.

Dallas defender depth & Nashville's goalie depth are absolutely amazing when they can afford to send these players away during playoffs. They should do some trading and fill some needs on other positions or trade for future draft picks.
Nashville's decision to hang on Mazanec tells us how neck-to-neck they really were (despite that great compliment from our Czech friend here). But I admit, I am pretty dazzled by Dallas' defensive depth, since they were able to let go of a player who's already made it to a World Cup squad. I have pretty good sources overall, but Lindell still came completely from the left field.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
@File yeah I just edited my post. #1 goalie plays both USA & CAN games if the USA game which is played first is won, because we battle for the #1 spot of the group and possibly face Switzerland instead of CZE/SWE.

If Saros is the starter then he plays vs USA and Koskinen for sure plays vs GER that is played in back to back days to USA game. USA has advantage vs Finland in this game because USA will have a day off while Finland doesn't before the FIN-USA game.

Somehow I doubt it'll be that heavily on Saros' favor.

I'd say this: Koskinen will get the final preliminary vs. USA. In the tournament proper, they'll give Koskinen three starts and Saros other three (including the "2nd" USA game). Then they'll determine who starts against Canada, and preferably carries the net from there on.

Ok this is a possible scenario as well. I'm fine with either one TBH.

Last edited:

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
That team, i just love it. Still i would take MaG to that team, but this is sex! Third championship to Finland this year! :yo::popcorn:

Droog

Feb 28, 2010
What about the chemistry Barkov and Granlund had at the Olympics? How does Laine-Barkov-Granlund sound?

I think Pulkkinen-Granlund had a lot of chemistry in the U18 and U20 games too but they haven't played together since so maybe it wouldn't be the same.

So excited to see how this team will perform.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
What about the chemistry Barkov and Granlund had at the Olympics? How does Laine-Barkov-Granlund sound?

I think Pulkkinen-Granlund had a lot of chemistry in the U18 and U20 games too but they haven't played together since so maybe it wouldn't be the same.

So excited to see how this team will perform.

Koivu and Granlund played in playoffs in same line and they played very good, they have good history, so i think they will be in same line like KJ said before, then Pulkkinen is third in that line i think.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's clearly better for Lindell to play for the National team than to sit in the pressbox in for the Stars. He needs all the experience he can get because next season it's likely the Stars expect him to make the team out of training camp since only 1 or 2 of our 4/5 UFA/RFA defenseman will return . Hope he has a great tournament and he comes back to Dallas in high spirits .

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It's clearly better for Lindell to play for the National team than to sit in the pressbox in for the Stars. He needs all the experience he can get because next season it's likely the Stars expect him to make the team out of training camp since only 1 or 2 of our 4/5 UFA/RFA defenseman will return . Hope he has a great tournament and he comes back to Dallas in high spirits .

Btw how do you as Dallas fan see Honka's chances to break into Dallas line up next season? I'm guessing you rate Lindell higher than Honka.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Btw how do you as Dallas fan see Honka's chances to break into Dallas line up next season? I'm guessing you rate Lindell higher than Honka.

Depends who we re-sign. If we re-sign Demers we have 3 RHD with Klingberg , Johns and Demers and Honka won't make the team . If Demers doesn't return there's a possible opening but he's still somewhat green. Most likely Honka will just see some callups regardless of what we do with free agents.

Lindell will have a slot pretty much guaranteed since there's no way both Russel and Goligoski return. ( he should be good enough to beat out Nemeth and whoever else we have for the potential #5 #6 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad