WC: 2016 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
So Team Finland program in relagation group in World Champion tournament is:

Friday 6th May clock 20:15 (Finlands time, 01:15pm EDT; 09:15am PST) Finland-Belarus
Sunday 8th May clock 16:15 (09:15am EDT; 05:15am PST) Finland-Germany
Monday 9th May clock 20:15 Finland-USA
Wednesday 11th May clock 20:15 Finland-Hungary
Saturday 14th May clock 12:15(05:15am EDT; 01:15am PST) France-Finland
Sunday 15th May clock 20:15 Slovakia-Finland
Tuesday 17th May clock 20:15 Canada-Finland

So then the roster speculations, if i presume that in NHL and AHL current situtations top-2 of every divisions goes to round two, the teams are( Situation March 19th):

NHL:Boston,Florida,Washington,Rangers, St.Louis, Dallas, Los Angeles, Anaheim
AHL: Wilkes-Barres/Scranton, Hershey, Toronto(Kapanen), Albany, Rockford (Pokka),Grand Grapids, Ontario and Texas(Lindell,Honka).

In this moment its said that Karri Rämö will not be available on the team due to injury.

Then following players contracts end on this season:
Vatanen
Kemppainen
Pulkkinen
Ma Granlund
Pakarinen
Ristolainen
Armia
Ortio
Keränen
Näkyvä
Rissanen
Tirronen
Olkinuora

I think that Määttä and Ristolainen will come if they are healthy thought their contract end. Others are questions and somebodys are not even on speculations. Maybe example Kemppainen will go to show something.
So the possible players in this scenario are:
Forwards: Komarov,Korpikoski, Koivu, Haula, MiGranlund, Salomäki,Ruutu,Rantanen,Donskoi, Hännikäinen, Filppula,Teräväinen
Defenders:Määttä,Ristolainen,Jokipakka, Rissanen, Näkyvä
Goalies:Rinne,Korpisalo,Laurikainen,Saros

At least next players in Europe are not available due to injuries or other reasons:
Out: Hytönen,Immonen,Palola, Nutivaara,Harri Pesonen, Huhtala, Väänänen and Niko Kapanen
Questions: Wirtanen,Osala and Kontiola

Players in Europe who i think will race to roster place:
KHL: F:Hartikainen*,,Elo*,J-M.Aaltonen,Koskiranta*, J.Sallinen,,Saarinen*,Enlund*D:Lepistö*,Hietanen*,V.Lajunen,Jaakola,,Kivistö*,Eronen G:Säteri*,Metsola*,Rynnäs*,Koskinen.
SHL: F:Lehkonen*,T.Sallinen*,Kiiskinen*, J.Pesonen*D:Salmela*,Melart*(I would want see Rajala to EHT-game, but i think Jalonen don't like him, Ilkka Heikkinen is other)
Liiga: F:Kuusela*, T.Koivisto*, Aho*,J.Nättinen*, M.Aaltonen, Niemi*, J.Lajunen*, Laine*, Saarela, Puljujärvi D:Kukkonen*, Nutivaara*,Taimi, Järvinen*, Elorinne*, Mäntylä*,Niskala*,Kemiläinen G:Husso*, Kähkönen
NLA: F:Lindgren*, Louhivaara*, Filppula* D:Mäenpää*
*Played in EHT this season

Then lets but some guess(Thats from february 22th situation):
Komarov-Koivu-Donskoi
Aho-MiGranlund-Lehkonen
Korpikoski-Haula-Hartikainen
Joensuu-T.Sallinen-J.Sallinen
Rantanen,Elo

Määttä-Ristolainen
Lepistö-Hietanen
Jaakola-Salmela
Nutivaara-Järvinen

Korpisalo
Metsola
Säteri

Yeah, i know, too many NHLers (9), but its possible.
Edit: MaGranlund and Pakarinen has said that they will play on the WC if they get invited thought they is contractless.

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I would bet that Minnesota will make the playoffs, but most likely 1 of Koivu, Granny, Haula,
should be available if they fall in the first or second round.

I think the only way all three would even consider would be in the case that Minni doesn't make it to the post season.

I would also heavily consider at least 1-2 of Aho, Pulju, Laine to make the team, if not all 3!

Määttä and Risto would be huge, but I think Määttä will be busy playing in the post season. But who knows, maybe the penguins will drop out in the first round if they make it there? Maybe they won't even get to the PO?

I hope Risto has no hard feelings from being cut last year from the final roster.

Pakarinen and Korpedo would be solid additions. Rantanen should be considered, he is having a monster ahl season as previously mentioned. Of course Komarov should be there!

Lots of solid guys available, I think this team could look quite well.

I would take Korpisalo as the starting goalie. :popcorn:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does Saarela have a chance to make this team? More points than Puljujarvi, one less than Laine, six less than Aho. He's 3rd in Liiga of Finnish players in goals per game.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Does Saarela have a chance to make this team? More points than Puljujarvi, one less than Laine, six less than Aho. He's 3rd in Liiga of Finnish players in goals per game.

Actually yes, especially there not came many centers from NHL and if Kontiola are not fit(and in case of Kontiola are not fit, Jalonen not do the second time same error than last year). I think Saarela get his change on national team when Ässät drop out from playoffs and if he do well then he have good change to make to team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I would also heavily consider at least 1-2 of Aho, Pulju, Laine to make the team, if not all 3!
Let's be realistic. Right now, only Aho looks possible, probable even. Both Laine and Pulju need monster of a spring to be in contention. Well, Laine may have a chance if there aren't plenty of more established wingers vying for spots.

The centre situation isn't generally good. Kontiola is hurt (though could be back, but in what shape?) and Immonen is simply not available, so other options will be checked on Euro side. Saarela ought to get a look on the camp when things are like this.

From overseas, Komarov is the most likely addition. Korpikoski is also in a good position to join. People are publicly talking about Ristolainen - he's contractless, but in his case getting a new one is a formality. Of course, he's played a ton... and well, one can't help but think if he's disgruntled after last year's snub... but these guys are professionals. They should know how it is sometimes.

If Minny falls short, it may pretty much solve the forementioned centre situation. Just one of the three would be huge - and given Haula's current form, we could also say any of the three. No preference whatsoever.

There are two other names I've had my eye on - Ma.Granlund and Armia. Both are contractless, but a solid WHC could do good to their status. MaG could also help with the centre issue, but he just got traded. He would have been available if still with the Flames. The Nucks aren't a top team either, but their AHL affiliate is doing better. Armia will be available for sure. Camp showings required, but he'll have ample time to give them. Pakarinen will be free as well (though similarly contractless), but he represents the player type we have amply available in any case.

Goalie situation also is a little questionable - at least if we are to look overseas. All of our heavy hitters look playoff bound. We have a decent selection of serviceable creatures on this side of the pond, but still. Only one that could be available from the boot is Korpisalo. He's doing great while the Jackets aren't, but Lake Erie is going to the AHL playoffs. Then again, it's Keklu making the call. So if KJ rings him up and says "hey, we need a starter", what's his answer going to be?

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
With the current NHL-situation:

Harri Pesonen - Perttu Lindgren - Pekka Jormakka
Artturi Lehkonen - Tomi Sallinen - Kristian Kuusela
Teemu Hartikainen - Jarkko Immonen - Markus Granlund
Lauri Korpikoski - Erik Haula - Iiro Pakarinen

Sami Lepistö - Rasmus Ristolainen
Anssi Salmela - Mikko Mäenpää
Topi Jaakola - Ville Lajunen

Joonas Korpisalo
Karri Rämö
Juha Metsola

Mikko Koivu, Mikael Granlund, Leo Komarov and players in that standard....just forget them. They will not play this tournament and then World Cup some months later.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Here's my roster.

1st line Aho Ramstedt Kuusela
Taimi Ristolainen

2nd line Granlund Lindgren Rantanen
Lepistö Järvinen

3 Korpikoski Kemppainen Armia
Nutivaara Kukkonen

4th line Komarov Osala Haula
Salmela Melart.
13th forward Iiro Pakarinen.

Goalies
Korpisalo
Husso
Metsola

AHL considerations
Julius Honka
Esa Lindell
Rasmus Rissanen
Ville Pokka
Michael Keränen

NHL considerations
Mikael Granlund
Aleksander Barkov
Olli Määttä
Sami Vatanen
Valtteri Filppula
Mikko Koivu
Tuomo Ruutu ( if healthy)
Jussi Jokinen
Joonas Donskoi
Pekka Rinne
Teuvo Teräväinen.

Liiga considerations
Jesse Puljujärvi ( if he wont play U18 WJC's)
Patrik Laine ( same as Puljujärvi)
Aleksi Saarela
Mika Partanen
Jani Lajunen
Henrik Haapala
Tomi Kallio.
Aleksi Elorinne

SHL considerations
Jere Karalahti
Ilkka Heikkinen
Artturi Lehkonen

KHL Considerations
Pekka Jormakka
Teemu Hartikainen
Ville Lajunen
J-M Aaltonen
Juuso Hietanen
Mikko Koskinen
Jarno Koskiranta
Harri Säteri

Out of the team
Janne Pesonen
Atte Ohtamaa
Topi Jaakola
Antti Pihlström
Jarkko Immonen
J-P Hytönen
Petri Kontiola

Not the best team i know that.
But it's really idiotic to play men's worlds same year with world cup of hockey thanks a lot IIHF

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But it's really idiotic to play men's worlds same year with world cup of hockey thanks a lot IIHF
:facepalm: The IIHF should just bend over whenever the NHL decides to organize its own cash grab? Especially since these tournaments are granted about five years in advance - back when no one had any idea there would be a World Cup and what teams it would feature.

And what about those ten countries in the elite division that did not get an invite to the World Cup? Should they just fiddle their thumbs and wait for the next season?

Can hardly wait what kind of life-schooler remedial instruction genius you come up with next.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
With the current NHL-situation:

Harri Pesonen - Perttu Lindgren - Pekka Jormakka
Artturi Lehkonen - Tomi Sallinen - Kristian Kuusela
Teemu Hartikainen - Jarkko Immonen - Markus Granlund
Lauri Korpikoski - Erik Haula - Iiro Pakarinen

Sami Lepistö - Rasmus Ristolainen
Anssi Salmela - Mikko Mäenpää
Topi Jaakola - Ville Lajunen

Joonas Korpisalo
Karri Rämö
Juha Metsola

Mikko Koivu, Mikael Granlund, Leo Komarov and players in that standard....just forget them. They will not play this tournament and then World Cup some months later.

You are crazy ;)!

Nixa

Apr 29, 2013

i do not agree with you at all. World Cup is just a NHL's own exhibition tournament with 2 joke teams (Team Europe, Young North Americans). It would be different thing if Switzerland, Slovakia and etc. would be invited. In World Championships every player can at least represent their own country..

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I do wonder whether some of the NHL players will be hesitant to come along with the World Cup coming up. It would be a lot to ask of a player to feature in both tournaments, especially if they play a playoff series on top of that. I hope that at least one center comes though, otherwise the situation down the middle could be quite miserable...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I do wonder whether some of the NHL players will be hesitant to come along with the World Cup coming up. It would be a lot to ask of a player to feature in both tournaments, especially if they play a playoff series on top of that. I hope that at least one center comes though, otherwise the situation down the middle could be quite miserable...
At the moment, only plausibles seem to be from Minny (well, MaG is within early reason too). I'd say one motivation boost could be whether their names are on the list or not. Of course, Koivu and MiG are on it for sure, so that technically leaves Haula.

Of course, if the Wild misses entirely, then the probability of getting any of them rises. Also, players in teams with no chance of making it - like Komarov and Korpikoski - are likely, as they'll be winding down long before the season actually ends, with little reason to exert themselves.

That being said, even if we get no one, the situation is not entirely miserable. Kontiola's injury was not season-ending. He'll be healthy by May, the question is what shape he'll be in. Though I reckon he'll be there regardless. Then we have Koskiranta. I hope too that we'll have more viable names available for top-two, but if not... they'll do. For bottom-six, we have T.Sallinen and Wirtanen. In all, that's a decent enough foursome.

Overall, here's one conservative estimate:

Komarov - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Korpikoski - Koskiranta - Kuusela
Aho - Wirtanen - Armia
Jormakka - T.Sallinen - Hartikainen

Could be better, but also could be way worse.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
That being said, even if we get no one, the situation is not entirely miserable. Kontiola's injury was not season-ending. He'll be healthy by May, the question is what shape he'll be in. Though I reckon he'll be there regardless. Then we have Koskiranta. I hope too that we'll have more viable names available for top-two, but if not... they'll do. For bottom-six, we have T.Sallinen and Wirtanen. In all, that's a decent enough foursome.

Overall, here's one conservative estimate:

Komarov - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Korpikoski - Koskiranta - Kuusela
Aho - Wirtanen - Armia
Jormakka - T.Sallinen - Hartikainen

Could be better, but also could be way worse.
Yeah, i think, if Kontiola is not in shape, example Saarela would be good choice to top 2 center. Lindgren and Filppula have not been so strong on EHT-games. Jani Lajunen, Mika Niemi and Joonas Nättinen are other options, but I don't see them as top 2 center on National Team. Aho are of course joker card to center, also Komarov and Korpikoski can play on center, thought they have not played on many years(?) as center. Oh and we have Rantanen here, he have been playing on center this season on AHL.

kooma 13

Mar 15, 2014
Yeah, i think, if Kontiola is not in shape, example Saarela would be good choice to top 2 center. Lindgren and Filppula have not been so strong on EHT-games. Jani Lajunen, Mika Niemi and Joonas Nättinen are other options, but I don't see them as top 2 center on National Team. Aho are of course joker card to center, also Komarov and Korpikoski can play on center, thought they have not played on many years(?) as center. Oh and we have Rantanen here, he have been playing on center this season on AHL.
Saarela top-2 centre in national team? You gotta be kidding me...

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Saarela top-2 centre in national team? You gotta be kidding me...
Could you speculate who you could put to top2-center places if no one(i mean players which play mainly as center) come from NHL and if Kontiola(shape is question) and Immonen(sure not available) wouldn't have options. And in Saarela case, i see top-2 center place if he play well on the national team games before world championship tournament. I actually today read from some messages that his stance to defense weren't good recently, which are not good of course and lower his changes. But yeah, I think if Saarela don't make the team we have to put one off these names what i mentioned last on last post to second top2-center place. (Koskiranta would be other)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think you really have to worry about Saarela defensively. Maybe he's played a few games recently where he hasn't been his best defensively, but he's a very good defensive player who's relied on as an important defensive player for Assat. I watched the game on Tuesday against Tappara, and I thought his defense was fine, although admittedly that was the first game I watched in a few games of him.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Granlund-Barkov-Donskoi
Komarov-Pakarinen-Haula
Teräväinen-Jokinen-Korpikoski
Kontiola-Aaltonen-Laine

Määttä - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Lindell
Jokipakka - Hietanen
Pitkänen - Lepistö

Rinne
Saros

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finland need the sisu back.
A line like this is needed.

Joensuu - Lajunen - Osala

Melart - Järvinen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
With Jokipakka traded to Calgary, we should have a nice sextet of core D available.

The usual suspects Lepistö, Hietanen, Kukkonen and Jaakola + RR55 and JyJo from overseas. Then add two decent fillers and we're good to go here. Salmela is usually a reliable pick, and it'd be nice to see Jalonen give a decent shot to another SHLer - Ilkka Heikkinen.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I hope there are more youngsters and as little KHL players as possible. Finland has many youngsters that are good and more NHL players than ever. It's safe to say so far only Rask is ruled out from this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad