WC: 2016 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
He did not. It's why it feels even stranger that Jere Sallinen got cut. He did great in these preliminaries IMO. Almost feel worse for him than MaG.

So Pihlström was lights out during practise? He didn't show anything in CSKA to warrant a free pass to these games compared to Sallinen or even MaG

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I agree. KJ didn't make mistakes and picking Pihlström over J.Sallinen doesn't matter. It was a battle about the very last spot anyways.

Now let's see how his lines will be in Tuesday's game. Maybe he gives a chance for Pihlström to play 1 game. My guess is he will experiment with 4th line and keep the 3 first lines in the form he wants to start WHC with.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
So Pihlström was lights out during practise? He didn't show anything in CSKA to warrant a free pass to these games compared to Sallinen or even MaG

Experience counts for something. It's good to have some of the guys who are there year in, year out for continuity, especially now that there's an exceptional number of "irregulars" on the team. Anyhow, the team is awesome. Doesn't really matter whether it's Sallinen or Pihlström playing wing on the 4th.

Raimoh

Jul 21, 2010
Aho, Granlund, Barkov, Laine, Pokka, Lindell, Rantanen, Pulkkinen, Saros.. the future is now!

Fun fact: seven WJC champions on this team

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
Aho, Granlund, Barkov, Laine, Pokka, Lindell, Rantanen, Pulkkinen, Saros.. the future is now!

Fun fact: seven WJC champions on this team

yup. love this team. it's so exciting. good combination of veteran leadership & youth.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I trust in Saros way more in the game of death than Koskinen. Now we are truly a gold medal contender. Canada and Russia being the gold favorites over us though, but that's where the underdogs suprise them ;).

Doesn't really matter whether it's Sallinen or Pihlström playing wing on the 4th.

Maybe neither would play in the wing as I think both would be on the extras slots.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1.Jokinen-Barkov-Pulkkinen
2.Laine-Koivu-Granlund

3.Komarov-Koskiranta-Aho
4.Pihlström-Lajunen-Rantanen
13.Sallinen

Pyörälä

1.Lindell-Hietanen
2.Salmela-Pokka
3.Ohtamaa-Kukkonen
7.Jaakola

Kivistö

SG Saros
BG Koskinen
3. Bäckström

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Experience counts for something. You need some of the guys who are there year in, year out for continuity, especially now that there's an exceptional number of "irregulars" on the team.

I think we have enough expierience w/o Pihlström, and i know that one Pihlström doesn't make or break the team, i'm just wondering why he made the team over someone like Sallinen who actually deserved a spot.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Our NHL quartet won't be in Helsinki until tomorrow evening, so I'd be a little surprised if any of them played on Tuesday. And Lindell will join the team in St. Petersburg.

Surprised that Nashville and Dallas released Saros and Lindell, but I'm very happy to have them. Great job this year Jere!

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
I think Ma. Granlund should be in the team instead of Pillu..They promised him the spot and what do they do? Take a guy with PK skills in.. as if there aren't enough of those already.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Our NHL quartet won't be in Helsinki until tomorrow evening, so I'd be a little surprised if any of them played on Tuesday. And Lindell will join the team in St. Petersburg.

If none of them play on Tuesday, KJ can experiment with lines and combine Aho with Laine :).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think Ma. Granlund should be in the team instead of Pillu..They promised him the spot and what do they do? Take a guy with PK skills in.. as if there aren't enough of those already.

That's the only little mistake KJ did, but can't really call it a mistake because it's about the extras slots / outside top-12 forwards. Of course if we get many injuries on that department it could be. Even then we got more than enough offensive forwards to move up in line hierarchy and put a grinder in fourth line.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I think we have enough expierience w/o Pihlström, and i know that one Pihlström doesn't make or break the team, i'm just wondering why he made the team over someone like Sallinen who actually deserved a spot.

Not really. The only "super-veteran" players that have been there for ages are Hietanen, Jaakola, Kukkonen, Pyörälä and Pihlström. Salmela and Ohtamaa are borderline cases IMO. With so much of the team being young or from overseas, I think it's good to err on the side of experience. Really, Lajunen over Sallinen or MaG is the choice I'm the most conflicted on, but I think that's also ultimately the right choice. Versatile, veteran guy for a supporting role(unlikely that he'll play unless there's an injury).

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
If none of them play on Tuesday, KJ can experiment with lines and combine Aho with Laine :).

It could be that some of them will play because they only announced Melart as Lindell's placeholder. We'll have 12 forwards if two out of the four play.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009

Surprised that Nashville and Dallas released Saros and Lindell, but I'm very happy to have them. Great job this year Jere!
I wonder who're going to patch the holes if the guys from Minny and the Cats can't play yet, because they'd only have ten forwards in that case. Yeah, it seems likely that at least two of 'em play.

And I really have to join the chorus on praising Lehtinen. He feels SO much better as a GM than Kurri ever was. Not that we ever had the talent in the farm as we had now, but the AHL regardless felt like a black hole during Kurri's tenure. I find it difficult to see non-NHL graduates like Rantanen and Pokka would have been on the radar back then.

But like I said when we first heard of the nomination, if Jere is going to bring even half of the work ethic he had as a player into the office, we can expect great things from him.

schmiedi

Dec 31, 2014
Nashville let saros go they want to See him Play. They Called him only one time and then he starts this season.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I wonder who're going to patch the holes if the guys from Minny and the Cats can't play yet, because they'd only have ten forwards in that case. Yeah, it seems likely that at least two of 'em play.

The announcement states that Melart will be staying with the team while they wait for Lindell. Judging by the fact that he's the only one mentioned, the forwards should indeed be expected to play.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Nashville let saros go they want to See him Play. They Called him only one time and then he starts this season.

It is surprising considering it was rumoured and highlighted in CBC broadcast yesterday that Rinne might have got an injury in last playoff game, but I guess Saros was #4 in the pecking order so it wasn't a problem or Rinne just is healthy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Oh damm Lindell and Saros :handclap: :handclap:
Yes yes yes, Canada-Finland gold game would be money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad