WC: 2016 Team Denmark

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Freaking pathetic....hope we just decided to give this game away because losing 10-1 is simply not acceptable

It didn't look like the Danish players decided anything - they were simply overrun by the Russians.
A game like this will wear you mentally (even if you physically didn't give all).
The game against Latvia will show if they can regroup mentally and focus on what always matters every single year (avoid relegation).

Do as Ranieri ("we need 40 points") - then we take whatever bonus comes WHEN IT COMES.
Taking about QF before relegation just brings unneeded expectations and pressure.
Danish teams generally always play bad under expectations and well when people have none.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Reposting this from the Russia game thread as it is most likely not to be seen there:

Who cares about relegation? A win against Latvia and Kasakhstan will most likely place us in the quarters. Could we please get some sense back in to the debate? Stop looking downwards all the time and begin to look upwards. Apart from the Russia game we have looked stronger than ever against the big countries, when playing ES. Obviously the penalties is a problem that needs to be dealt with, but lets not pretend this is all bad.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Reposting this from the Russia game thread as it is most likely not to be seen there:

Who cares about relegation? A win against Latvia and Kasakhstan will most likely place us in the quarters. Could we please get some sense back in to the debate? Stop looking downwards all the time and begin to look upwards. Apart from the Russia game we have looked stronger than ever against the big countries, when playing ES. Obviously the penalties is a problem that needs to be dealt with, but lets not pretend this is all bad.

Because if we are relegated it will be even more hard to get good players to our NT than it already is (playoffs). So avoiding relegation is FAR more important than a QF for the longterm future of Danish hockey. [Then we can go for the big push on home soil in 2018].
I disagree with looking stronger than ever against the big countries so far. It was way better in 2012 or 2013 for instance against the top teams.

Yes a win against Latvia and Kazakhstan could give us a QF, but losses means relegation - the line between success and fiasco is a narrow one and then you can't afford to mess around with stupid penalties match after match.
If they correct it, then we have a good chance; if not, relegation is certainly an issue.
I don't think it has been all bad, just saying it could end bad if they continue taking penalties.
Dahm has been great and the defense was overall good or OK, until this Russia game.
Ehlers has been great offensively, but others top players needs to step it up a gear.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Because if we are relegated it will be even more hard to get good players to our NT than it already is (playoffs). So avoiding relegation is FAR more important than a QF for the longterm future of Danish hockey. [Then we can go for the big push on home soil in 2018].
I disagree with looking stronger than ever against the big countries so far. It was way better in 2012 or 2013 for instance against the top teams.

Yes a win against Latvia and Kazakhstan could give us a QF, but losses means relegation - the line between success and fiasco is a narrow one and then you can't afford to mess around with stupid penalties match after match.
If they correct it, then we have a good chance; if not, relegation is certainly an issue.
I don't think it has been all bad, just saying it could end bad if they continue taking penalties.
Dahm has been great and the defense was overall good or OK, until this Russia game.
Ehlers has been great offensively, but others top players needs to step it up a gear.

Seriously, who cares about relegation? We are automatically getting promoted next year no matter what since we are hosts in 2018. Lets try and make most of it instead of focusing on relegation. It shouldnt even be a topic....

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
So could we stop talking about relegation now and start talk quarterfinals? Obviously we need 3 points against Kazakhstan to avoid an OTL point for Switzerland against the three big ones. But that should pretty much be it or am I missing something?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So could we stop talking about relegation now and start talk quarterfinals? Obviously we need 3 points against Kazakhstan to avoid an OTL point for Switzerland against the three big ones. But that should pretty much be it or am I missing something?

Sure.......NOW it seems very unlikely we get relegated: If Kazakhs win in OT/SO against Latvia both teams will have 4 points before their final game -> but since that game is Norway-Latvia it means that Norway has to get 2 points against Sweden and Russia to get to 7 and then lose to Latvia in regulation. Then we would be last in the group with 6 points if we lose to Kazakhstan in regulation (and the Czechs). It's unlikely, but stranger things have happened before.

If we win in regulation over the Kazakhs it looks very possible we have a QF spot, IF the "big teams" wins over the "smaller teams", since we will have 9 points.
Latvia can still reach 9 points with wins over Norway and Kazakhstan (but lost the shootout to Denmark). Norway gets 8 points with win over Latvia (if they have regulation losses to Sweden and Russia).
Switzerland must not get 2 points against Russia, Czech and Sweden.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Kazakhstan still worries me....Their 1st line looks really good, and if we keep being team penalty, then we wont win, especially not in regulation

But credit to the team for winning after yesterdays massacre

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Kazakhstan still worries me....Their 1st line looks really good, and if we keep being team penalty, then we wont win, especially not in regulation

But credit to the team for winning after yesterdays massacre

Besides Bjorkstrand and Christensen, there were not really any stupid penalties today in my opinion.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Besides Bjorkstrand and Christensen, there were not really any stupid penalties today in my opinion.

But Christensen's could have cost us a relegation loss in the last seconds........:shakehead
I agree it's an approvement compared to the other games, but still bad at this level.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
yes it was better but those two were both really unforgiveable, especially in a game like this....Do this against sweden or russia and i can take that because you are trying to take your chance. But games like today are must wins, not something where you can take chances.

But it was better...We still need some chemistry on the first line..seems like something is missing, but just having the NHL line means that our "euro&jensen" lines get much more room.

I still enjoy our fourth line every time i see them.

Will give a little love to Morten Green...yes its not perfect or fantastic but its much less bad as i would have feared...He is actually playing rather well and sacrificing himself for the team.

And i dont think we can underestimate his role in the lockeroom.

Kazakstan still is lacking a lot in depth compared to us, and Dahm is still playing lights out...Hope it will be enough

Would be amazing to have another QF since Germany

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
yes it was better but those two were both really unforgiveable, especially in a game like this....Do this against sweden or russia and i can take that because you are trying to take your chance. But games like today are must wins, not something where you can take chances.

But it was better...We still need some chemistry on the first line..seems like something is missing, but just having the NHL line means that our "euro&jensen" lines get much more room.

I still enjoy our fourth line every time i see them.

Will give a little love to Morten Green...yes its not perfect or fantastic but its much less bad as i would have feared...He is actually playing rather well and sacrificing himself for the team.

And i dont think we can underestimate his role in the lockeroom.

Agree that neither Jannik Hansen or Lars Eller shows any real offensive form (Eller was good defensively this game). Ehlers takes big chances and makes good things, but also occasional very risky passes. The 1st line hasn't really clicked.
The 3rd line is where the stupid penalties came from this game (but not from Green) and I don't think they really contribute anything offensively and not being really good defensively either, whereas the second line is doing well and with Nicklas Jensen shining in this game.
Generally positive over the 4th line in most of the games (though they had big problems against Russia). Morten Poulsen usually is good for 1 goal each WC and this was a great goal and incredibly important.

Actually Dahm now has the second best SVS% (93,75%) after Cam Talbot (CAN).
That is pretty impressive.
Source: http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/statistics/#players

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
What do you think about Markus Lauridsen so far?

He has been very good and been getting a lot more ice time after Jesper B Jensen got injured...he is on one of the two first pairings and was very good again today...

He is improving a lot just like his brother..much much better defensively than in previous years..this year in allsvenkan was really good for him

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Congrats to the Danes on advancing. QF spot I thought was a real possibility and they did it. Good luck in the quarters!

kulenova seka

Nice achivement for Danes considering how many players they are missing, O.Bjorkstrand, Larsen, Andersen, Regin, Hardt, Nielsen, Bodker...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Just home from work and saw that the Czechs indeed did win over the Swiss, but what a crazy end to that game.
So now either Finland or Canada.
Hopefully the Danish team can keep the good trend lately of avoiding stupid penalties and keep the scores down so we don't get another match as the one against Russia.

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
Oh how I would love to see that team in action, but that will only happen if we ever qualify for the Olympics.

WC in Denmark 2018 could come close. At least we would not see any decline because of contracts.

This year we would have had, Andersen, Larsen, Bødker, Nielsen on top of what we have.

But let's hope we q for the OG and that NHL players actually play.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Oh how I would love to see that team in action, but that will only happen if we ever qualify for the Olympics.

In the Olympic qualification in september we are allowed to have all players with us that are healthy. Even all from NHL and AHL.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So our team will have to face Finland, who just beat the Canadians convincingly.
Dahm has to make sure his posts stand with mm. precision and then cover the rest as he did against the Czechs.
If Dahm can frustrate then Finns with some miracle saves, we might have a little chance if we don't take any stupid penalties.
But at least I hope they take the match right to the end and not fold like against Russia even if things starts badly.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
So our team will have to face Finland, who just beat the Canadians convincingly.
Dahm has to make sure his posts stand with mm. precision and then cover the rest as he did against the Czechs.
If Dahm can frustrate then Finns with some miracle saves, we might have a little chance if we don't take any stupid penalties.
But at least I hope they take the match right to the end and not fold like against Russia even if things starts badly.

I think the Danes have a better shot against Finland than they would have had against Canada. The Finns have scored well but I wouldn't say they've been dominant. They played the US evenly and today Canada played a horrible game and still the game was pretty close overall despite a 4-0 score. Dahm will keep Denmark in the game. I think it will be close, Danes just need their top line to be ready to play and they might steal the game

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
In the Olympic qualification in september we are allowed to have all players with us that are healthy. Even all from NHL and AHL.

Yup. First exhibition game for Team Europe isn't until September 8th and the qualification tourney ends on the 4th. The Danes who play in WCOH will play in the qualifying tourney and then fly to NA for final couple days of training camp. I imagine the Danes, Germans, Slovenians and Austrians who play in WCOH will play mostly 3rd and 4th line roles in first couple exhibition games so they can ease into playing in those games from coming over from Europe. With a full roster, Denmark should be the favorite in their group to advance imo.
Ehlers-Nielsen-Hansen
Jensen-Eller-Boedker
Madsen-Regin-Bjorkstrand

That would make for a really good top 3 lines for you guys. I'll be pulling for Denmark to make the Olympics for the first time. With Andersen/Dahm in net, a strong top 3 lines and a full d corps, you guys should be fun to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad