WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Muzzin and Toffoli would be really sweet additions for team Canada. And it's realistic, imo.

Muzzin would bring good size (a bit lacking on defence) and Toffoli would improve the winger depth. This team would still need a number 1 defenceman and another centre.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
0 Chance for Letang I would say, he's not a guy that goes to these things. Tavares is a maybe, he does tend to want to go, that being said, he's also played a lot of Hockey, he would get a pass from me if he decides to take the summer off. Perry is a no, he's gone and done his time. I think he went in 2010 after the Olympics, that was good of him to step up that year.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
I hope Hockey Canada management does not just throw out invitations to the guys on the first team eliminated from round 1. They have a fair bit of time between the end of 1st round and game one of the WC so best to wait and see if they can get the 2 A defensemen, 2 A forwards and a one more solid goalie.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Giroux, please.

Giroux looks to be laboring and dealing with an injury, highly doubtful that he goes 2 years in a row.

Scandella, Spurgeon, Muzzin, Toffoli, Tavares or Reilly Smith/Ekblad or Brayden Schenn would be more in the realm of possible gets.

If NYI advance we take Smith and Ekblad and drop Spurgeon. Although I'd prefer to take both Scandella and Spurgeon and drop (uninvite) Ben Hutton... but some people believe that would hurt his feelings.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Giroux looks to be laboring and dealing with an injury, highly doubtful that he goes 2 years in a row.

Scandella, Spurgeon, Muzzin, Toffoli, Tavares or Reilly Smith/Ekblad or Brayden Schenn would be more in the realm of possible gets.

If NYI advance we take Smith and Ekblad and drop Spurgeon. Although I'd prefer to take both Scandella and Spurgeon and drop (uninvite) Ben Hutton... but some people believe that would hurt his feelings.

Man it would be so incredibly unprofessional to invite someone, then uninvited them.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Man it would be so incredibly unprofessional to invite someone, then uninvited them.

nonsense. that's the reality of being a professional athlete, one day you have a roster spot, next day somebody better comes along and you don't. I'm sure he'd get over it.

Hockey Canada should learn how to manage the roster better.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
nonsense. that's the reality of being a professional athlete, one day you have a roster spot, next day somebody better comes along and you don't. I'm sure he'd get over it.

Fair point about roster management but I disagree about the reality of being a pro athlete stuff.

This is not the NHL, it's the Skoda ice hockey tournament.Canadian Players aren't exactly salivating for a chance to go play in this thing, usually we have to beg them to give up part of their off season to bother playing in it, you start pulling that stuff and word will get around and it will negatively affect participation in the future.

He was asked to be on the team , he accepted, he stays on the team. Booting him off now is like asking a girl to the prom, then the day before the prom the beauty queen says she wants to go to the prom with you and you ditch the girl you asked to take her.

It isn't honorable and it's not the Canadian hockey way and that's a good thing we don't engage in it.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

It's not professional though as they are there purely on a volunteer basis. I agree that they should manage the roster better, in that Hutton isn't someone you need to get locked in. Hockey Canada has given guys conditional invitations before (Bozak and MacArthur I believe) and that's probably the best strategy. This isn't a best on best though - no reason to invite a guy and then uninvite him, and potentially sour him on Hockey Canada, just for this tournament.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Obviously managing the roster better is the ideal, however I think it's a lot more difficult than us keyboard warriors understand it to be.

JJ Cale and Jack explained why its distasteful.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Obviously managing the roster better is the ideal, however I think it's a lot more difficult than us keyboard warriors understand it to be.

JJ Cale and Jack explained why its distasteful.

you're speaking about an organization that suspended a minor league coach, a coach of 12 year old players, because he had the unmitigated gall to send his 12 year olds to school instead of a hockey tournament related off ice event.
Don't know about you, but that's particularly distasteful.

but we are getting OT and enough of that.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I personally think that if available, Neal and Nash will be on the radar - Neal could be a perfect fit for McDavid, a pure sniper, and a great addition on power-play; and Nash would replace O'Reilly on the left wing and would allow him to center his line. Besides, Nash is also a great match for McDavid and brings tons of experience. He's been very loyal to Team Canada, and he would definitely be a welcomed addition to this team, assuming we couldn't get Giroux or Tavares. (or Toews or Carter)

Rick Nash - Conor McDavid - James Neal
Taylor Hall - Matt Duchene - Tyler Toffoli
Brad Marchand - Ryan O'Reilly - Mark Stone
Boone Jenner - Mark Scheifele - Brendan Gallagher
Sam Reinhart/Max Domi

Jake Muzzin - Brent Seabrook
Morgan Rielly - Aaron Ekblad
Ryan Murray - Chris Tanev
Cody Ceci
Ben Hutton

Cam Talbot
Calvin Pickard

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I personally think that if available, Neal and Nash will be on the radar - Neal could be a perfect fit for McDavid, a pure sniper, and a great addition on power-play; and Nash would replace O'Reilly on the left wing and would allow him to center his line. Besides, Nash is also a great match for McDavid and brings tons of experience. He's been very loyal to Team Canada, and he would definitely be a welcomed addition to this team, assuming we couldn't get Giroux or Tavares. (or Toews or Carter)

Rick Nash - Conor McDavid - James Neal
Taylor Hall - Matt Duchene - Tyler Toffoli
Brad Marchand - Ryan O'Reilly - Mark Stone
Boone Jenner - Mark Scheifele - Brendan Gallagher
Sam Reinhart/Max Domi

Jake Muzzin - Brent Seabrook
Morgan Rielly - Aaron Ekblad
Ryan Murray - Chris Tanev
Cody Ceci
Ben Hutton

Cam Talbot
Calvin Pickard

A third goalkeeper can you expect?:)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

When Hockey Canada adds a few more dmen Hutton will be bumped down to spot duty on the 4th d-pair or in the press box. This is probably what he's expecting, and for a kid in his position he's more than happy to do it. Boot him off the team and you'll be bumping one of the more established players who are expecting to play into that role.

This isn't the Olympics, why not have a guy like Hutton play this role?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
When Hockey Canada adds a few more dmen Hutton will be bumped down to spot duty on the 4th d-pair or in the press box. This is probably what he's expecting, and for a kid in his position he's more than happy to do it. Boot him off the team and you'll be bumping one of the more established players who are expecting to play into that role.

This isn't the Olympics, why not have a guy like Hutton play this role?
Yeah, I hope that HC takes 8 d-men, and possibly 14 forwards, because there is quite a lot of time to play every one of them. You have 7 games in group stage, that means that your 8th d-man and 14th forward could easily, easily get at least 2 games, or 3. I think that's fine. But that's just my personal view :)

A third goalkeeper can you expect?:)

Maybe. We could get Crawford or Luongo theoretically, even though I would be surprised if that happened. Mason or Dubnyk seem to be more realistic option, IF we're going to take another goalie. But I'm optimistc, so I'll say one of Crawford/Luongo is a possibility. Craw would get his first national start, and giving your 3rd world-cup goalie a gold-medal experience wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Man, Fabbri is such a cool customer. Not that I hope St. Louis coughs up another playoff furball, but if they do, I want Fabbri on this team heading to St. Petersburg.

but I hope Hockey Canada waits until the entire 1st rd. is complete and not rush to fill out the roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad