WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Russian Hockey Federation says the World Cup is not important.
The usual pre-season tournament like the Spengler Cup:)

I mostly agree, but Hockey Canada actually likes the World Cup format. Renney was a supporter of the Young Gunz idea.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I mostly agree, but Hockey Canada actually likes the World Cup format. Renney was a supporter of the Young Gunz idea.

Mmm, I wonder how much they really do support the idea. My guess is they are towing the party line as a lot of them have ties to the NHL and the union. Its obviously a huge money making deal, nobody wants to be black balled by speaking out against it. For sure Hockey Canada wants the NHL to do the Olympics and have good relations to release junior players to the WJC, and the NHL are key pieces in those deals. Gotta keep the NHL happy ultimately. Not to mention Hockey Canada probably is pro any major tournament on Canadian soil.

I'm sure most of them feel the same way we do about it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Mmm, I wonder how much they really do support the idea. My guess is they are towing the party line as a lot of them have ties to the NHL and the union. Its obviously a huge money making deal, nobody wants to be black balled by speaking out against it. For sure Hockey Canada wants the NHL to do the Olympics and have good relations to release junior players to the WJC, and the NHL are key pieces in those deals. Gotta keep the NHL happy ultimately. Not to mention Hockey Canada probably is pro any major tournament on Canadian soil.

I'm sure most of them feel the same way we do about it.

Friedman said long ago that Renney was an active supporter of the Young Gunz concept when it was still in the discussion stage, with USA Hockey more inclined against it. His quotes since the announcement have been quite positive as well.

I don't see any reason for Hockey Canada to feel that the NHL has any leverage over them. The NHL cannot host a World Cup without Hockey Canada, and realistically the only place it can be held if the NHL wants it to be profitable is Canada. If anything Hockey Canada has leverage.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If St Louis goes down I am sure getting Petro is a pipe dream but I will gladly take that Parayko kid, he's a real player.

He has looked even better in the playoffs then he did in the regular season to me.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
If St Louis goes down I am sure getting Petro is a pipe dream but I will gladly take that Parayko kid, he's a real player.

He has looked even better in the playoffs then he did in the regular season to me.

Yep. Add Ryan Ellis, he was great against Anaheim.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Friedman said long ago that Renney was an active supporter of the Young Gunz concept when it was still in the discussion stage, with USA Hockey more inclined against it. His quotes since the announcement have been quite positive as well.

I don't see any reason for Hockey Canada to feel that the NHL has any leverage over them. The NHL cannot host a World Cup without Hockey Canada, and realistically the only place it can be held if the NHL wants it to be profitable is Canada. If anything Hockey Canada has leverage.

Disappointing about Renney.

But Hockey Canada needs the NHL for the Olympics, which is always the real prize.

On another note, what/who determines where the World Championship are played? I understand that there are a whole lot more countries, and it's mostly European, but I'm a little surprised Hockey Canada doesn't push for more venues in Canada. Should we only expect it every like 15 years? 20 Years? 10 Years? Last was 2008 and I don't even remember any before that. I think Hockey Canada and Canadian players would be gung ho about the tourney if it were here more. That being said, I don't want it to become like the WJC where it's here every year.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
They take this approach, because they feel that they have little chance to win!:help:

Russia has in fact little chance of winning in the World Cup.
Because Russia is not a hockey superpower.
However, this tournament does not have much importance.
This is a pre-season tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Disappointing about Renney.

But Hockey Canada needs the NHL for the Olympics, which is always the real prize.

On another note, what/who determines where the World Championship are played? I understand that there are a whole lot more countries, and it's mostly European, but I'm a little surprised Hockey Canada doesn't push for more venues in Canada. Should we only expect it every like 15 years? 20 Years? 10 Years? Last was 2008 and I don't even remember any before that. I think Hockey Canada and Canadian players would be gung ho about the tourney if it were here more. That being said, I don't want it to become like the WJC where it's here every year.

Hockey Canada has to express an interest to the IIHF to host, submit a bid and win it. Once it is awarded then Hockey Canada has to open that up to local bid committees interested in hosting a WHC. They do their bids to Hockey Canada and then decide the host city. Now, that all must happen to 2-3 years in advance and you must be guaranteed of arena availability, jokes aside about Toronto/Edmonton arenas always being available in May, how realistic is it for local bid committees be certain of venues that far in advance? Other than centennial anniversary events, Hockey Canada is not too inclined to put on events of that scale while the NHL Playoffs are ongoing. Perhaps we'll see it again for the 200 year anniversary of Hockey in Canada.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Hockey Canada has to express an interest to the IIHF to host, submit a bid and win it. Once it is awarded then Hockey Canada has to open that up to local bid committees interested in hosting a WHC. They do their bids to Hockey Canada and then decide the host city. Now, that all must happen to 2-3 years in advance and you must be guaranteed of arena availability, jokes aside about Toronto/Edmonton arenas always being available in May, how realistic is it for local bid committees be certain of venues that far in advance? Other than centennial anniversary events, Hockey Canada is not too inclined to put on events of that scale while the NHL Playoffs are ongoing. Perhaps we'll see it again for the 200 year anniversary of Hockey in Canada.

:yo:

Cool, I didn't know that's how that process worked, thanks for the info man.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016

I would have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that the World Cup is a pre-season warm up tournament. I am 'friends' with a few wives of former Soviet stars of the 1980s and one of the most posted reminiscences are of the Canada Cups their husbands participated in. There is no question in any of their minds that a victory at the Canada Cup was the most important victory as they competed with and sometimes defeated the best from all over the world. They are more than aware that the tournament was not watered down with amateurs and college players from North America as was often the case in many World Championships.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Russia is a hockey superpower. They definitely have a chance to win.

Goaltending and defence is where they are a weaker though. Canada definitely the favourite but I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada and Russia in the finals.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Russia is a hockey superpower. They definitely have a chance to win.

Goaltending and defence is where they are a weaker though. Canada definitely the favourite but I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada and Russia in the finals.

Russia can not win all-stars tournament since 1981:(

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Russia can not win all-stars tournament since 1981:(

Bring in Bragin as the coach :) I think Valeri Bragin is a great coach, I always like when he comes over to Canada for the U-20 Super Series.

Defense and goaltending is what is holding Russia back recently. Need more talent of defense.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Bring in Bragin as the coach :) I think Valeri Bragin is a great coach, I always like when he comes over to Canada for the U-20 Super Series.

Defense and goaltending is what is holding Russia back recently. Need more talent of defense.
Bragin great coach.
Totally agree with you.

With goalkeepers will soon be well.
You know goalie Samsonov? it will be a great goalkeeper.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bragin great coach.
Totally agree with you.

With goalkeepers will soon be well.
You know goalie Samsonov? it will be a great goalkeeper.

Yup. The two young Ilya's will be good. Samsonov and Sorokin should both be really good eventually.

Russian fans will be in for a treat getting to see McDavid at the WC. Next big thing in hockey.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba

Cause junior coaches moving to the top level =instant success

Macman

May 15, 2004

I thought I read somewhere that Hockey Canada has a deal with the IIHF until the 2020-something that it won't bid on the worlds in return for hosting the world juniors every two years.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I thought I read somewhere that Hockey Canada has a deal with the IIHF until the 2020-something that it won't bid on the worlds in return for hosting the world juniors every two years.

Ya, that's been speculated, but I don't believe it actually exists. Considering the scale of that tournament in Canada vs anywhere else in the world, the IIHF needs it in Canada more than we do...but the logistical problems for hosting the WHC in Canada exist regardless of any deal with the IIHF on hosting WJHC every 2nd. year.

and besides, it was also rumored to be a similar kind of deal ending the Canadian boycott of the WHC and the IIHF relenting on the issue of NHL pros playing way back in the day.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
For those who are hoping for Philly to be eliminated... I don't see how Giroux could go to the WHC. He looks like he is playing injured, had to skip practice yesterday. It would surprise me a lot. And Couturier is done for the whole series against Capitals, shoulder injury, checked hard by Ovechkin to the boards. I suppose that Philly stand nearly no chance against Capitals right now (even as a Flyers fan, gotta admit it) and that's why I am here with the news.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
For those who are hoping for Philly to be eliminated... I don't see how Giroux could go to the WHC. He looks like he is playing injured, had to skip practice yesterday. It would surprise me a lot. And Couturier is done for the whole series against Capitals, shoulder injury, checked hard by Ovechkin to the boards. I suppose that Philly stand nearly no chance against Capitals right now (even as a Flyers fan, gotta admit it) and that's why I am here with the news.

Ya, I would have to say it's not looking good for Philly and Giroux. Schenn is still an option though, and my attention has shifted to L.A. and the possibility of Tyler Toffoli giving it a go. a speedy sniper that can play center of RW. so a possible 4th line of Jenner Toffoli Schenn looks to be promising. I can live with that.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Ya, I would have to say it's not looking good for Philly and Giroux. Schenn is still an option though, and my attention has shifted to L.A. and the possibility of Tyler Toffoli giving it a go. a speedy sniper that can play center of RW. so a possible 4th line of Jenner Toffoli Schenn looks to be promising. I can live with that.

Yea, that would be great, indeed. Offense would be solved in that case. Defense need real and bigger additions, imo.

Jeff Carter can will go IIHF Worlds?)

He was selected to the initial roster for World Cup, I can't imagine him going to Russia for WHC.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Yea, that would be great, indeed. Offense would be solved in that case. Defense need real and bigger additions, imo.

He was selected to the initial roster for World Cup, I can't imagine him going to Russia for WHC.

Triple Gold Club:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad