WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Really excited to watch this team. Lots of young guys and some great skaters.

Can't wait to see what Mcdavid can do on a bigger ice surface with even more room to skate.

Also, Talbot was an absolute wall for us this season outside of one bad stretch that he worked through. I have full faith in our goaltending in this tournament based on watching the oilers for 82 games this year. Chances are if we won, or it was close, it was because of talbot.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
This team could use some help on D and in goal, but many people seem to be underestimating just how good this forward group is, probably due to a lack of name recognition.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
meh, I'd rather watch Canada v USA go at it. provided of course it's all the best players on deck and available. just better hockey imo.

so, no news while I was away? additions, players suddenly coming down with previously undisclosed injuries?
Philadelphia seems to have two injuries that would affect Canada. Giroux has a bad back, apparently was getting work down on his back on the bench during the game, and Couturier got rocked by Ovechkin, didn't return.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Good thing is that if the Islanders are eliminated, and we would get to have Tavares, he's playing great hockey. I would maybe rather see him making next round though.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Philadelphia seems to have two injuries that would affect Canada. Giroux has a bad back, apparently was getting work down on his back on the bench during the game, and Couturier got rocked by Ovechkin, didn't return.
Yeah...unofficially, Couturier is out of the series, but I heard the Flyers will make a statement tomorrow. In terms of Team Canada, he's most likely done because even if he returns to the playoffs, chances are very high it will be despite him not being 100% healthy.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Good thing is that if the Islanders are eliminated, and we would get to have Tavares, he's playing great hockey. I would maybe rather see him making next round though.

Ya, I picked FL to win that series, but with J.T. playing like that...Panthers are in for a tough ride.

So, I turn my attention to R. Smith RW and of course, Mr. Ekblad...but your damn World Cup may ruin Ekblad's willingness to give the IIHF tournament another shot.

and what a game it was L.A. v Sharks. just off the charts hi-intensity PO hockey that you won't find anywhere else in the world. I'll take Muzzin and
Taffoli.

In addition, even though 18 players have been named, they are not official roster spots until the team is registered with the IIHF 2 hours before game 1. so, theoretically, HC can name other players, as many as they can muster up and drop the really fresh faced 1st year pros, excluding McDavid of course, if better more experienced players become available. A little ruthless perhaps...but hey, are we in it to win or just to be nice to NHL rookies?

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Two posters with positive thumbs up concerning Talbot and his game.

Good, very good.

I'm not an Oilers fan, but I did see a lot of Oiler games this year...the McDavid effect. I have no qualms about Talbot being the starter for this tournament. I was hoping Mike Smith would be up for the repeat attempt and Talbot the backup, but this is good enough.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I'm not an Oilers fan, but I did see a lot of Oiler games this year...the McDavid effect. I have no qualms about Talbot being the starter for this tournament. I was hoping Mike Smith would be up for the repeat attempt and Talbot the backup, but this is good enough.

I could see pickard out playing him tho

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Ya, I picked FL to win that series, but with J.T. playing like that...Panthers are in for a tough ride.

So, I turn my attention to R. Smith RW and of course, Mr. Ekblad...but your damn World Cup may ruin Ekblad's willingness to give the IIHF tournament another shot.

and what a game it was L.A. v Sharks. just off the charts hi-intensity PO hockey that you won't find anywhere else in the world. I'll take Muzzin and
Taffoli.

In addition, even though 18 players have been named, they are not official roster spots until the team is registered with the IIHF 2 hours before game 1. so, theoretically, HC can name other players, as many as they can muster up and drop the really fresh faced 1st year pros, excluding McDavid of course, if better more experienced players become available. A little ruthless perhaps...but hey, are we in it to win or just to be nice to NHL rookies?

There are spots available to improve D and G if someone becomes available, but pushing out forwards doesn’t make sense, this is already a good group. Even if you decide you can push guys down the lineup and improve on guys like Domi or Jenner near the bottom you set a bad precedence, damage relationships and lose development opportunity for guys who may be part of the future in exchange for relatively small gain this year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There are spots available to improve D and G if someone becomes available, but pushing out forwards doesn’t make sense, this is already a good group. Even if you decide you can push guys down the lineup and improve on guys like Domi or Jenner near the bottom you set a bad precedence, damage relationships and lose development opportunity for guys who may be part of the future in exchange for relatively small gain this year.

There are only 11 forwards right now. Hockey Canada will certainly invite two more. Domi or Jenner or whoever couldn't really take offence at being the thirteenth forward given that there is always one.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

sorry, but the idea that this tournament is nothing more than a developmental tool is just complete nonsense. No question we can do both, but the emphasis should clearly be on sending best available to win and with a smaller, but not insignificant, accent on development. Players develop best in a winning environment. So that's where I stand.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
[NHL][/NHL]
sorry, but the idea that this tournament is nothing more than a developmental tool is just complete nonsense. No question we can do both, but the emphasis should clearly be on sending best available to win and with a smaller, but not insignificant, accent on development. Players develop best in a winning environment. So that's where I stand.

You seem to have missed the point that adding forwards does little if anything to help the team win. In fact you seem to want to add players based on name recognition not how much they will help the team win. All this would accomplish is the opportunity to get/keep young players familiar with international play. Furthermore uninviting players to do this, as you are proposing, significantly impacts their willingness to participate in the future and Canada’s chances for success in the future.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
[NHL][/NHL]

You seem to have missed the point that adding forwards does little if anything to help the team win. In fact you seem to want to add players based on name recognition not how much they will help the team win. All this would accomplish is the opportunity to get/keep young players familiar with international play. Furthermore uninviting players to do this, as you are proposing, significantly impacts their willingness to participate in the future and Canada’s chances for success in the future.

There is no uninviting... Canada has invited 11 forwards thus far. They always bring at least 13.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
There is no uninviting... Canada has invited 11 forwards thus far. They always bring at least 13.

Oh I would. but I'm just ruthless. They should be in the get it done business every year and not interested in participation awards.

So, in the event L.A. gets bounced this year do you think Doughty will be interested in the Montgomery Burns award in the field of excellence awarded for winning awards?

Hockey Canada responds, "that's alright, Drew! We have Ben Hutton. We're good!"

I'd dish out an uninvite so quick poor Ben's head would spin. ruthless.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Oh I would. but I'm just ruthless. They should be in the get it done business every year and not interested in participation awards.

I think you are severely underrating this team. In my opinion it's a gold-medal favourite already and that's without any other additions. Yeah, I recognize I'm in the minority probably, but I do believe this team could repeat the performance we saw last year (goes along with me expecting 5-6 additions too). I think the offense will surprise many people, as well as the defensemen. I expect a lot of dirty goals from this team, but goals nontheless. On the ice, I believe they will be pretty much dominating.

I am curious what additions we manage to get, as there is a lot of quality forwards and defensemen, and even goalies, coming up after the 1st round. Good thing might be that the WHC starts week later than last year, and there is like 10 days (at least) between the end of the 1st round and the first game of the worlds. It might be a good thing that Hockey Canada doesn't need to rush things quickly and can give players more time, as their emotions won't be super-high right after elimination.

So, in the event L.A. gets bounced do you think Doughty will be interested in the Montgomery Burns award in the field of excellence awarded for winning awards this year?

I am sure that HC would take Doughty like Crosby last year, the real question for me is whether Doughty wants to play in this tournament, hopefully yes, but with World Cup on the line, that is another thing that might play its role.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think you are severely underrating this team. In my opinion it's a gold-medal favourite already and that's without any other additions. Yeah, I recognize I'm in the minority probably, but I do believe this team could repeat the performance we saw last year (goes along with me expecting 5-6 additions too). I think the offense will surprise many people, as well as the defensemen. I expect a lot of dirty goals from this team, but goals nontheless. On the ice, I believe they will be pretty much dominating.

I am curious what additions we manage to get, as there is a lot of quality forwards and defensemen, and even goalies, coming up after the 1st round. Good thing might be that the WHC starts week later than last year, and there is like 10 days (at least) between the end of the 1st round and the first game of the worlds. It might be a good thing that Hockey Canada doesn't need to rush things quickly and can give players more time, as their emotions won't be super-high right after elimination.

I am sure that HC would take Doughty like Crosby last year, the real question for me is whether Doughty wants to play in this tournament, hopefully yes, but with World Cup on the line, that is another thing that might play its role.

to which I shall respond, I hope you have a killer sandwich with you, extra Hellman's, because, and with all due respect, I think you're out to lunch.

But I'm just an old Curmudgeon. I enjoy playing the contrarian.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

So, in the event L.A. gets bounced this year do you think Doughty will be interested in the Montgomery Burns award in the field of excellence awarded for winning awards?

I'd dish out an uninvite so quick poor Ben's head would spin. ruthless.

I honestly don't know that Hockey Canada would uninvite someone just because Doughty wants to go (not that Doughty would want to go). I suspect that they would likely relegate Hutton to the press box, as was the case with Schenn last year, but I doubt they would uninvite him. Bad optics and something that other players would remember going forward. Plus the tournament isn't that big a priority.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I honestly don't know that Hockey Canada would uninvite someone just because Doughty wants to go (not that Doughty would want to go). I suspect that they would likely relegate Hutton to the press box, as was the case with Schenn last year, but I doubt they would uninvite him. Bad optics and something that other players would remember going forward. Plus the tournament isn't that big a priority.

And at the World Cup a priority?
The World Cup is the usual preseason tournament like Victoria Cup. The victory at this tournament does not really matter.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
And at the World Cup a priority?
The World Cup is the usual preseason tournament like Victoria Cup. The victory at this tournament does not really matter.

Hockey Canada almost certainly values the World Cup much more than it does the World Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad