WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Man, Fabbri is such a cool customer. Not that I hope St. Louis coughs up another playoff furball, but if they do, I want Fabbri on this team heading to St. Petersburg.

but I hope Hockey Canada waits until the entire 1st rd. is complete and not rush to fill out the roster.

There's no chance if HC doesn't make significant additions of Olympic quality players before heading off to Europe. No chance. Talent is all well and good, but only 35% of the equation. You can't take a bunch of inexperienced players, regardless of talent level, give then 5 days prep-time, 1 practice and 1 pretournament game and expect them to beat a group of experienced pros in Europe who have been preparing for 2 months. And if they do, then that's a sad commentary on the state of hockey currently being played in Europe. They'll beat the lesser lights, the non-traditional Top 8, but when it comes to a 1/4 final game against one of the other traditional hockey powers, ya, don't see it happening.

I'm very disappointed in the way this team is taking shape. too young and too inexperienced. With only room for 4 additions, unless those additions are Olympic quality players, this team does nothing.

If this team continues to fill out the roster in the manner it has without significant additions and still manages to win, then Fasel should just retire from his position at the IIHF and resume his dentistry career. They won't win, but if they were to win, I would laugh nonstop from that medal presentation right up to puck drop of the 2017 tournament. Laughing at the fact that a collection of 5 or 6 players (Duchene, Hall, O'Reilly, Marchand and McDavid) surrounded by a bunch of rookies, straight out of junior with 1-2 years experience in the pros, without any prep-time, brought together 5 days before tournament puck drop, 1 team practice and 1 pre-tournament game, and yet still manages to beat a bunch of experienced and motivated professionals in Europe... well, if that scenario unfolds, then anybody after that who has an issue with a Canadian uttering the phrase "Hockey is Our Game" should get pied in the face.

1 top level d-man? I'd say 3. 1 of the youngsters already named can rotate in and out the way Brayden Schenn did last year as a forward.

After all of this you're now hoping for some more inexperienced youth?:D

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
After all of this you're now hoping for some more inexperienced youth?:D

If they are going to overload on youth, then pick the right youth. McDavid + Fabbri would be my choice over Domi + Reinhart.

If it were up to me, it would only be McDavid as far as rookies go...but Hockey Canada sets the agenda...and I give my opinion on that... if you have an issue with that, then that's your problem, not mine.

Do you have anything significant to add to the debate? probably not.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If they are going to overload on youth, then pick the right youth. McDavid + Fabbri would be my choice over Domi + Reinhart.

If it were up to me, it would only be McDavid as far as rookies go...but Hockey Canada sets the agenda...and I give my opinion on that... if you have an issue with that, then that's your problem, not mine.

If you have watched Reinhart this year you can see he is a pretty good and smart hockey player. I think he can help this team and not be a liability.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If you have watched Reinhart this year you can see he is a pretty good and smart hockey player. I think he can help this team and not be a liability.

Maybe another way to look at it for guys like Reinhart/Domi/Hutton with the teams they play on they may not be in the playoffs for a few seasons, which could make them regulars for team Canada at the WC for a few years.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Maybe another way to look at it for guys like Reinhart/Domi/Hutton with the teams they play on they may not be in the playoffs for a few seasons, which could make them regulars for team Canada at the WC for a few years.

Exactly. we may be able to go to the well with these guys for a year or two more. Good to give them a taste right now.

Hey, I would like a guy like Fabbri to be available too,but Reinhart and Domi are good players with a lot of potential also.

Let's see what they can do, this ain't the olympics.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I know all about Reinhart. seen him lots. I know he's a high IQ hockey player. I just prefer to win the Skodas instead of sending a team of too many rookies just to get reps and gain experience for some hypothetical best on best tournament that is probably never going to happen anyway. NHL Olympics is most likely over, and all that is left is Gary Bettman's gimmicky preseason exhibition tournament.

there's that. and plus, as much as I like Reinhart, I like Fabbri more. I think he's the better player.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know all about Reinhart. seen him lots. I know he's a high IQ hockey player. I just prefer to win the Skodas instead of sending a team of too many rookies just to get reps and gain experience for some hypothetical best on best tournament that is probably never going to happen anyway. NHL Olympics is most likely over, and all that is left is Gary Bettman's gimmicky preseason exhibition tournament.

there's that. and plus, as much as I like Reinhart, I like Fabbri more. I think he's the better player.

I prefer to win the Skodas also.................and I think we can with these guys. As long as they get some more help on the defense and such.

It all hinges on that really, whether we have players like Fabbri or not.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I prefer to win the Skodas also.................and I think we can with these guys. As long as they get some more help on the defense and such.

It all hinges on that really, whether we have players like Fabbri or not.

Ya, well. it better be 3 A list defenseman. otherwise, it will take a Connor McDavid miracle.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

Not that I disagree, but he's right in that there are a lot of REALLY young and inexperienced guys, up front and on the back end. I certainly appreciate his talent, but I would also like some experience on the team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
As good as he is I don't think he is up for providing any miracles yet.

He's a kid.

We need some defensemen like you said.

BTW, next Saturday and Sunday players will start leaving for Europe...They have their first practice on Monday and play their one and only a pre-tournament game on the 3rd v Czech Rep. That will be the extent of their "training camp".

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
BTW, next Saturday and Sunday players will start leaving for Europe...They have their first practice on Monday and play their one and only a pre-tournament game on the 3rd v Czech Rep. That will be the extent of their "training camp".

Well you know how it is, it's only the Skodas!!

This is a European tournament, made for Europeans and catered to Europeans.

They actually think it's a big deal, we don't.

It is what it is.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not that I disagree, but he's right in that there are a lot of REALLY young and inexperienced guys, up front and on the back end. I certainly appreciate his talent, but I would also like some experience on the team.

I agree, they are inexperienced, would love to see more veteran talent.

But like the teenager coming out of school looking for their first job.............they can't get experience unless you give them their first chance.

We will see what we can get once the first round is over, it might and probably won't be mind blowing but if it isn't we may as well circle the wagons and support them.

There is talent here even if it is on the young side, more then quite a few teams that will be there.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Well you know how it is, it's only the Skodas!!

This is a European tournament, made for Europeans and catered to Europeans.

They actually think it's a big deal, we don't.

It is what it is.

I'm still waiting for the victory parade and country-wide tour of the Skoda trophy celebrating last year's romp to the gold medal. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath...hell would freeze over before that would happen... but what am I saying, we didn't even have a victory parade for Vancouver or Sochi. Or did I just miss it?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm still waiting for the victory parade and country-wide tour of the Skoda trophy celebrating last year's romp to the gold medal. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath...hell would freeze over before that would happen... but what am I saying, we didn't even have a victory parade for Vancouver or Sochi. Or did I just miss it?

Didn't need a victory parade for Vancouver, it was a thousand parades in every house,bar, school and street corner when Crosby scored.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Meanwhile, Czech republic is preparing for over one month with about 6 preliminary games + against Canada, with the very similar roster that will face team Canada. :laugh:

That being said, can't wait for this game, I'll be there. Should be a great game even if it's only preliminary.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Meanwhile, Czech republic is preparing for over one month with about 6 preliminary games + against Canada, with the very similar roster that will face team Canada. :laugh:

That being said, can't wait for this game, I'll be there. Should be a great game even if it's only preliminary.

Is the game in Prague or in Petersburg and you will be in Petersburg?

I doubt it will be on TSN so you better give us all regular hf updates.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Is the game in Prague or in Petersburg and you will be in Petersburg?

I doubt it will be on TSN so you better give us all regular hf updates.

It is in Prague, O2 Arena where Canada won Gold Medals one year ago. :) I think you will easily find some streams but who knows. Should be sold-out, 17/18k people.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Is the games going to be on tv over here in the United States or am i going to have to try to find a stream?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Damn, so crotchety, it was a joke, lighten up.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Is the games going to be on tv over here in the United States or am i going to have to try to find a stream?

It's a pre-tournament in Prague we are talking about. TSN won't be broadcasting it. at least I doubt they will. TSN's coverage begins with the 1st tournament game on May 6 Canada v USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad