WC: 2016 Team Canada Pt. II

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
McDavid played on the second PP against the USA, why? I don't care how well Brassard was playing, you don't play him over McDavid on a PP.

I think McDavid will score the golden goal like Crosby did in '10.

Brassard has outplayed McDavid thus far, and that's really all that matters.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Brassard has outplayed McDavid thus far, and that's really all that matters.

not really though, not demonstrably better and McDavid is infinitely the better player. Brassard was able to cash in on a few more of his opportunities...and that's been the difference. I'd play McDavid 22 minutes and Brassard 14. just me, if I'm going to lose I'd rather lose playing my best players.

in the end though, this team has nothing left in the tank anyway. it was painfully obvious in the 1/2 final. They are gassed. That's why if you have the opportunity to bring over A team player or players mid tournament, you do it. 20 and 21 year old players can only get you so far. And if you were watching the USA v Russia BMG, Ray Ferraro said the exact same thing. As a player you want help and expect help to come as the tournament progresses. He should know, he played in 3 WHC from the start of the tournament and expected reinforcements to come in late and was disappointed when that help didn't arrive.

The fact that this team is even in the GMG speaks to how weak the competition level is at this tournament. My only fear is Hockey Canada, who likes doing the absolute bare minimum, would rather bring these types of teams to the tournament than the 2015 version of Team Canada.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Hello guys!! I couldn't be here for over a month, glad I am here just before the gold-medal game, I must say I quite missed you all :)

I'm excited to see Canada in the finals again. I didn't like the first game against Finland, but I knew they would do better going on. I was surprised very positively yesterday, by the way the US played the game. I don't think Canada played a bad game at all, the US was just really good. Very exciting game and the American players should be proud.

Finland is one hell of a country! Watching Granlund, Laine, Koivu, Barkov, Aho, and others has been really up-lifting, and as always, they play phenomenal team game.
It will be a tough one today. Hopefully McDavid, like Crosby in Sochi, scores his first goal in the gold-medal game :) He's been playing well, nothing spectacular that would make him the best forward on the team, but he's doing good. Shame that he isn't trying to shoot/finish more.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hello guys!! I couldn't be here for over a month, glad I am here just before the gold-medal game, I must say I quite missed you all :)

I'm excited to see Canada in the finals again. I didn't like the first game against Finland, but I knew they would do better going on. I was surprised very positively yesterday, by the way the US played the game. I don't think Canada played a bad game at all, the US was just really good. Very exciting game and the American players should be proud.

Finland is one hell of a country! Watching Granlund, Laine, Koivu, Barkov, Aho, and others has been really up-lifting, and as always, they play phenomenal team game.
It will be a tough one today. Hopefully McDavid, like Crosby in Sochi, scores his first goal in the gold-medal game :) He's been playing well, nothing spectacular that would make him the best forward on the team, but he's doing good. Shame that he isn't trying to shoot/finish more.

Hey! Welcome back. I was wondering what happened to you. Forgot to pay your phone/internet bill? LOL. Always appreciate your everything is sunshine and lollipops demeanor. It's a good contrast to my doom and gloom approach.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
not really though, not demonstrably better and McDavid is infinitely the better player. Brassard was able to cash in on a few more of his opportunities...and that's been the difference. I'd play McDavid 22 minutes and Brassard 14. just me, if I'm going to lose I'd rather lose playing my best players.

This doesn't make sense and really just sound like a bit of McDavid fanboyism. In general McDavid is better, I agree. If you are trying to win though, you play who is playing better, and that is Brassard. If ti was early in the tournament and you want to get McDavid going it might make sense, but this is the last game. That said, if McDavid comes out flying to start the game then go ahead.

in the end though, this team has nothing left in the tank anyway. it was painfully obvious in the 1/2 final. They are gassed. That's why if you have the opportunity to bring over A team player or players mid tournament, you do it. 20 and 21 year old players can only get you so far.

The fact that this team is even in the GMG speaks to how weak the competition level is at this tournament. My only fear is Hockey Canada, who likes doing the absolute bare minimum, would rather bring these types of teams to the tournament than the 2015 version of Team Canada.

To some degree I think that Hockey Canada prefers to bring this type, and I certainly understand that. I am in favour of using this tournament for developmental purposes for the most part, though it is starting to look like there won't be anything to develop the players for if the NHL gets its way.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
This doesn't make sense and really just sound like a bit of McDavid fanboyism. In general McDavid is better, I agree. If you are trying to win though, you play who is playing better, and that is Brassard. If ti was early in the tournament and you want to get McDavid going it might make sense, but this is the last game. That said, if McDavid comes out flying to start the game then go ahead.

To some degree I think that Hockey Canada prefers to bring this type, and I certainly understand that. I am in favour of using this tournament for developmental purposes for the most part, though it is starting to look like there won't be anything to develop the players for if the NHL gets its way.

Again, potato PA-ta-to.

Nothing to do with McDavid fanboyism...it's called understanding team strengths. I'll take McDavid and give him TOI with Hall and Perry. lose or win with your best. and Brassard isn't that.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Again, potato PA-ta-to.

Nothing to do with McDavid fanboyism...it's called understanding team strengths. I'll take McDavid and give him TOI with Hall and Perry. lose or win with your best. and Brassard isn't that.

You've never said that in similar situations at the Olympics or WJC, so I'm quite confident that it's about McDavid specifically (predicted to get over 20 points after all) but it doesn't really matter.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You've never said that in similar situations at the Olympics or WJC, so I'm quite confident that it's about McDavid specifically (predicted to get over 20 points after all) but it doesn't really matter.

and you'd be wrong. I've said quite consistently over the years, win or lose with your best players. and if you want, I'll point you in the right direction, go dig up my posts about Scheifele and the 2013 tournament in Ufa.

and I picked the under on McDavid 20 pts. look it up or snipes can confirm.

anyway. I hope the boys can pull it off and Brassard nets the hatty.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
bizarre how some posters continue to complain that brassard is playing on the top line when hes still leading the team in points with 1 game to go...

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
bizarre how some posters continue to complain that brassard is playing on the top line when hes still leading the team in points with 1 game to go...

Yes, it's getting weird, Brassard outplayed McDavid on this tournament, therefore he deserves to play more and on the 1st PP unit, it's not like McDavid is playing 10 minutes / game or something like that, he also plays enough and with great line mates.

Brassard is one of the few veteran players on Team Canada, it is reasonable that coach will trust him more, especially when he keeps contributing. Scored clutch goal yesterday.

McDavid hasn't had the best tournament, it happens, nothing to be concerned about, he still can make up for it today in the most important game. Let's wait and see.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
and you'd be wrong. I've said quite consistently over the years, win or lose with your best players. and if you want, I'll point you in the right direction, go dig up my posts about Scheifele and the 2013 tournament in Ufa.

and I picked the under on McDavid 20 pts. look it up or snipes can confirm.

anyway. I hope the boys can pull it off and Brassard nets the hatty.

It's true. MW took the under on 20 points.

Let's just hope the guys come out and give everything they got. We can win this game, but it's going to take a full team effort and guys playing their hearts out. Can't wait. I'm getting the coffee started and throwing my Team Canada jersey on now (I wish they wore the 2015 jersey that I have, love that jersey).

Go Canada Go.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
It's true. MW took the under on 20 points.

Let's just hope the guys come out and give everything they got. We can win this game, but it's going to take a full team effort and guys playing their hearts out. Can't wait. I'm getting the coffee started and throwing my Team Canada jersey on now (I wish they wore the 2015 jersey that I have, love that jersey).

Go Canada Go.

It almost makes me cheer against Canada. :laugh: Damn! They need to bring them back! Can you maybe start some petition? :laugh:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It almost makes me cheer against Canada. :laugh: Damn! They need to bring them back! Can you maybe start some petition? :laugh:

I tweet Scott Salmond daily, along with giving him constant job evaluations, which are not too flattering to him, but oddly enough, he never responds. Go figure.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

We should have black shoulders on the jerseys. Red, white, and black are the Hockey Canada colours. Too many teams use just red and white.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Awesome game from Canada. You've made this Canadian hockey fan proud today. Feels good man.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
McDavid played on the second PP against the USA, why? I don't care how well Brassard was playing, you don't play him over McDavid on a PP.

I think McDavid will score the golden goal like Crosby did in '10.

Good call

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Talbot was amazing

3rd best Canadian goalie. Should go to WC and Olympics. Brings it

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Awesome game from Canada. You've made this Canadian hockey fan proud today. Feels good man.

me too. surprised that they found it. I really thought they were gassed after the U.S. game.

but they dug deep and found a way to pull it out.

props to Dave Cameron and his defensive schemes. I gave him **** when I thought he deserved it, so I'll give him and the entire coaching staff props now. Good Job.

Congrats to the boys and to Team Finland. Finland was a fantastic team and played a great tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good tournament for Canada. Good to win obviously, but I'm more pleased with what I saw from some of the young players in the final game. Canada finally played a game tactically similar to what we saw in the 2014 Olympics and 2015 World Championship, and they were able to execute the plan very well. It's clear that the other teams, particularly the European teams, can't handle an all out forecheck. This is the way of the future for Canada.

Good to see McDavid do more today, he still has a lot more to give though given his abilities. Good learning experience for him.

Very impressed with what we saw from Rielly and Murray in the final three games. Both look like potential options for Canada's weaker left side in future best on best competition, which is exactly what I wanted to see. Steady, smooth and smart hockey.

Stone impressed me a lot too. Elite defensively. If the NHL is at the 2018 Olympics, I want and expect Stone to be Canada's defensive line RW. He was dominant in the final.

Scheifele really impressed me too. I was never a fan, but he pretty much dominated Barkov. Could one day be an A team player on the wing. His line was probably the best Canadian checking line I can ever remember at this tournament.

Marchand, Duchene, O'Reilly and Hall all did pretty well in their World Cup auditions. I think there's a small but clear edge for Duchene over Hall given how impressive he was defensively. Marchand and O'Reilly bring different things, but both executed very well. I think that Marchand will get selected over O'Reilly for that team, but both should be proud. Hall still has room to grow defensively but he was, next to McDavid, Canada's best neutral zone player.

I'm happy that many of those players were able to win gold of some kind with Canada. A lot of those players were WJC losers for Canada, sometimes in very tough circumstances. Good for Scheifele, Murray, Rielly, Jenner (quite good in limited minutes) and so on.

Good exposure for Tanev. I've liked his game for a long time now, and he didn't disappoint. He's the kind of defensive player who thrives internationally. Vlasic-esque.

Matheson was a good player to watch, Hockey Canada got one right with him. I could see him forming an elite pairing with Ekblad very soon in the NHL, and I like that he will be able to learn from Brian Campbell. Laughable that he was named to the tournament all star team though.

Happy for Perry and Ellis. Perry could have easily refused Hockey Canada given all that he has done and accomplished and no one would have batted an eye, but he set a good example and came over. I'm glad that he was rewarded. Ellis has always been a good soldier for Hockey Canada, and I liked his comments that he was actually excited when Hockey Canada called after the second round and that he would never refuse to play for Canada. Good to see him get his first championship since the 2009 WJC.

Anyway, good informative tournament. I hope to see that playstyle from Canada in the future, and I hope that the young guys are able to apply what they learned in the future.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
O'Reilly-Scheifele-Stone has to be seriously considered by Team Canada for the next few international tournaments (assuming they maintain their levels of play in the NHL).

They're talented, physical, energetic, dangerous and have chemistry. That line is quite literally the complete package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad