WC: 2016 Team Canada Pt. II

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good win yesterday, Americans tomorrow. Hope we can pull out the win there to guarantee ourselves a medal.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
From the half game that I saw, I find it funny that Canada's best line (Scheifele, O'Reilly, Stone) is also the line that would traditionally not work internationally. Goes to show that brains and hockey sense count for more than speed does when it comes to transferring to the larger ice surface.

Also, Gallagher looks terrible.

Man Gallagher has got to get his skates checked. If he falls any less than 3 times in a shift that's been a win. I would put Reinhart, Domi, or Jenner ahead of him. He should be riding the pine.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Man Gallagher has got to get his skates checked. If he falls any less than 3 times in a shift that's been a win. I would put Reinhart, Domi, or Jenner ahead of him. He should be riding the pine.

Comfortably the worst forward, in my opinion. I hated him at the WJC (in the top six role that his junior coach forced him into) and I hate him here. Any discussion regarding Gallagher for a fourth line role on a top level team Canada should be over.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
On to the Gold. We need to be much better tomorrow.

Go Canada Go!!

kasps

Oct 14, 2013
Fought through adversity today, a great sign for a very young team. The Americans were just hitting their stride and Canada took their foot off the pedal in the second and paid for it ! Luckily the boys regained their composure and won the day!

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Comfortably the worst forward, in my opinion. I hated him at the WJC (in the top six role that his junior coach forced him into) and I hate him here. Any discussion regarding Gallagher for a fourth line role on a top level team Canada should be over.

Work your anti-jinx on another player before tomorrow's game!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Work your anti-jinx on another player before tomorrow's game!

I still thought Gallagher was quite bad. Good of him to shovel one puck into the net though. In any event...

Gallagher has been the worst forward, but McDavid is easily the most disappointing. Glides past defencemen effortlessly in the neutral zone, then glides toward the boards and just passes it off every single time whenever he gets the puck afterward.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I still thought Gallagher was quite bad. Good of him to shovel one puck into the net though. In any event...

Gallagher has been the worst forward, but McDavid is easily the most disappointing. Glides past defencemen effortlessly in the neutral zone, then glides toward the boards and just passes it off every single time whenever he gets the puck afterward.

Great! He'll score a hat trick!

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It looks like the coaches are relying on talent which is not a really good thing.

We went from a 5-1 victory over the US to 4-3.

Germany had us tied 2-2 for a while. Finland beat us 4-0 (1 goal was unavoidable - the rest were softies and 1 defensive brainfart that was horrific).

We could beat Finland tomorrow - but if this team had gelled properly and had good systems (especially for ES)... this wouldn't be a contest. Instead we're going into tomorrow with the very likely possibility Finland wins - because they have a better system and hockey is a team sport. Throwing talent on the ice isn't enough in 2016. There needs to be planned, deliberate plays to get quality scoring chances.

Jopo

May 8, 2016
Finland
Instead we're going into tomorrow with the very likely possibility Finland wins - because they have a better system and hockey is a team sport. Throwing talent on the ice isn't enough in 2016. There needs to be planned, deliberate plays to get quality scoring chances.

That is exactly what Team Finland's current System Overlord Kari Jalonen, his staff and all players of the team are trying to proof to the World of Hockey. :nod:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Not a big fan of Hall's game. From the hash marks in this guy is great, hard on the puck and can win battles most times. After that, he spins and takes a shot on net no matter where he is on the ice. If it doesn't go in he takes a huge swoop either behind the net or into the corner. After that forget about defence.

I think he could be so much better with a coach that demands that he either go hard to the net or go hard back the other way if his shots don't go in.

Don't circle the wagons Oiler fan, you will now tell me how many points he gets. He could be so much better, he really could.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Great! He'll score a hat trick!

Would be nice.

It looks like the coaches are relying on talent which is not a really good thing.

We went from a 5-1 victory over the US to 4-3.

Germany had us tied 2-2 for a while. Finland beat us 4-0 (1 goal was unavoidable - the rest were softies and 1 defensive brainfart that was horrific).

We could beat Finland tomorrow - but if this team had gelled properly and had good systems (especially for ES)... this wouldn't be a contest. Instead we're going into tomorrow with the very likely possibility Finland wins - because they have a better system and hockey is a team sport. Throwing talent on the ice isn't enough in 2016. There needs to be planned, deliberate plays to get quality scoring chances.

The lack of progression is indeed disappointing.

Overall I am content with this tournament regardless of the outcome of the last game. Winning is preferable, but I can't complain. I'm glad to have seen some of these players in the roles they've been used, good or bad. I'm impressed with Stone and a bit surprised by Duchene's improved effectiveness away from the puck. Impressed with Marchand as well. Disappointed with the young guys, but it's better to have these experiences than nothing at all.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014

He did score a hard working greasy goal, BUT he took another dumb penalty in the offensive zone...That's his third penalty in 2 games, all of the dumb variety

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think we are in for a very tough game tomorrow. We are definitely underdogs, if I were betting with my head I would say Suomi should win.

But I'll always believe in any Canadian team playing for Gold. If we play the Canadian way with full effort and discipline we can win Gold.

Go Canada Go!!

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I'm interested to see how the Koivu line is neutralized, Rielly and Tanev have been brilliant for the most part, but they can't focus solely on Laine this time. I would love to see more of Domi, his wheels can win races, and he's a pesky player to play against, I noticed he replaced Perry for a couple of shifts in the late second or third, and he added to the line immediately. They have to get Perry the puck more often down low if they want him to be effective.

Last edited:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'm interested to see how the Koivu line is neutralized, Rielly and Tanev have been brilliant for the most part, but they can't focus solely on Laine this time. I would love to see more of Domi, his wheels can win races, and he's a pesky player to play against, I noticed he replaced Perry for a couple of shifts in the late second or third, and he added to the line immediately. They have to get Perry the puck more often down low if they want him to be effective.

I agree with the sentiment, but not about Domi. Lots of energy and action but he doesn't actually accomplish anything. After all his skating, he often will give the puck away and they end up hemmed in their end for awhile.

This is where Gallagher is different, more often than not his energy results in something going on in the right direction.

I would try McDavid with Gallagher and maybe Domi too. Let McDavid carry it in and have the other two mix it up in the slot. Although that line would be terrible if caught in their own end, it might allow McDavid to be more than a passenger.

McDavidbowie

Mar 2, 2016
Not a big fan of Hall's game. From the hash marks in this guy is great, hard on the puck and can win battles most times. After that, he spins and takes a shot on net no matter where he is on the ice. If it doesn't go in he takes a huge swoop either behind the net or into the corner. After that forget about defence.

I think he could be so much better with a coach that demands that he either go hard to the net or go hard back the other way if his shots don't go in.

Don't circle the wagons Oiler fan, you will now tell me how many points he gets. He could be so much better, he really could.

We could dissect any one on the roster like this. They have all been disappointing for the most part.

Could he be better? Sure, but he is scoring goals and was a huge part of the gold medal last year. The gold medal game will be the real test.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Why is Dave Cameron an assistant coach for this team. Team Canada couldn't find anyone better?

team canada fan

Apr 11, 2016
Northern Ontario
I like our chances tomorrow. Very glad we've seen Finland once and that trap and lack of any semblance of a forecheck. All 30 teams in the NHL forecheck hard, and a sit back and trap style, was a different wrinkle for the young guys on our team to see and experience. I think tomorrow's game is going to be vastly different than first time around.
Our players are too good, too talented, to not make the necessary adjustments to the Finnish team's style of play. Gold medal is on the line, and Team Canada's attitude is going to reflect that, versus how it was for a relatively meaningless round-robin game.
I think we shape up real well:
O'Reilly-Scheifele-Stone line is rock solid and very very good in both ends. Clearly the coaches go-to line for draws in the defensive end.
Looking for the talent of McDavid, Hall, Duchene, Perry, Marchand to rise up and play their best game tomorrow.
Play the five solid defensemen for the most part: Ellis, Reilly, Murray (great game today), Tanev and Ceci.
as usual, the game's end result will fall on Talbot. If he's good, Canada will win

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
I like our chances tomorrow. Very glad we've seen Finland once and that trap and lack of any semblance of a forecheck. All 30 teams in the NHL forecheck hard, and a sit back and trap style, was a different wrinkle for the young guys on our team to see and experience. I think tomorrow's game is going to be vastly different than first time around.
Our players are too good, too talented, to not make the necessary adjustments to the Finnish team's style of play. Gold medal is on the line, and Team Canada's attitude is going to reflect that, versus how it was for a relatively meaningless round-robin game.
I think we shape up real well:
O'Reilly-Scheifele-Stone line is rock solid and very very good in both ends. Clearly the coaches go-to line for draws in the defensive end.
Looking for the talent of McDavid, Hall, Duchene, Perry, Marchand to rise up and play their best game tomorrow.
Play the five solid defensemen for the most part: Ellis, Reilly, Murray (great game today), Tanev and Ceci.
as usual, the game's end result will fall on Talbot. If he's good, Canada will win

Duchene has looked solid thus far. He's doing well quarterbacking the first powerplay unit from the half wall and I love what both he and Marchand bring to the pk. Surprisingly, he, not McDavid, is so the bright spot on their line; his edge work below the hash marks is jawdropping.

Nonetheless, the line combos aside from Scheifele-Stone need to be re-worked. As odd as it may sound, I'd love to see O'Reilly with McDavid. O'Reilly is an unbelievably smart player who doesn't need the puck to be effective, and his strong defensive play can allow McDavid to take the chances he seems too hesitant to take. The coaching staff really needs to pull him aside and tell him to stop deferring to his linemates.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
How has Dumba played in this tournament?

Poorly at best. He has had a few sequences where he looks like he has put his talent together and figured it out, but other than that he has looked lost.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
McDavid played on the second PP against the USA, why? I don't care how well Brassard was playing, you don't play him over McDavid on a PP.

I think McDavid will score the golden goal like Crosby did in '10.

McDavidbowie

Mar 2, 2016
McDavid played on the second PP against the USA, why? I don't care how well Brassard was playing, you don't play him over McDavid on a PP.

I think McDavid will score the golden goal like Crosby did in '10.

McDavid and Hall have been on the 2nd PP this entire time. Not a fan of Peters as a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad