WC: 2016 Team Canada Pt. II

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
:yo:

He sure did. Best player on the ice. Offensively and defensively. He shut down Laine and Barkov in the last two minutes, he had like 4 turnovers in crunch time.

I'm glad he was able to shut up everyone doubting him. Game winning goal, player of the game. Brought his best when it mattered the most, he's generational. Period.

Great game for Canada. I'm a very happy man right now, listening to music and having a beer smiling ear to ear.

Yes, he was right up there right behind Schiefele.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The BBQ and beers post game poolside was, I must say, quite enjoyable...better than I expected...maybe even better than last year...perhaps due to the more suspenseful and dramatic to the final buzzer finish.

but as my team, or at least one of them, is competing for Lord Stanley's grand prize, my full hockey attention will now go to that pursuit.

IDeyChopNaira*

It'd be nice to see Eakin and Scheifele playing for Canada at the World Cup.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Matheson's play was eye-opening for sure and he has a great future, but he was hardly Canada's best defenceman let alone the best in the tournament. Did he even play in the third period? Rielly was an absolute horse throughout.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Matheson's play was eye-opening for sure and he has a great future, but he was hardly Canada's best defenceman let alone the best in the tournament. Did he even play in the third period? Rielly was an absolute horse throughout.

Matheson was for sure a pleasant surprise...and I can confess to some stomping of the feet and phrases along the lines of "what the hell is Hockey Canada thinking" when they named him...but Rielly was beastly...and paired with Tanev, they were outstanding together.

I love it when Hockey Canada and Canadian players prove my doom and gloom wrong.

And when taking into consideration past tournaments, NHL season and Playoffs... this would be my 25 man roster.

J TAVARES S CROSBY P BERGERON
J BENN C MCDAVID T SEGUIN
B MARCHAND/L COUTOUR J TOWES C GIROUX/ S STAMKOS
M DUCHENE R O’REILLY J CARTER

D KEITH D DOUGHTY
T.J. BRODIE A PIETRANGELO
M.E. VLASIC B BURNS
M GIORDANO S WEBER

C PRICE
B HOLTBY
M JONES

and before hf goes into hysterics, this is not a roster projection for the NHL preseason exhibition tournament, this is simply my A-Team. Canada's top 25 players and where I rank them.

3rd. line the 2 extra skaters (Coutour/Stamkos) and fight it out with Marchand and Giroux of who plays and who doesn't.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This also makes me reflect on how Cody Ceci might have looked at the 2013 WJC. No way he could be better than Murphy, Reinhart or Wotherspoon.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This also makes me reflect on how Cody Ceci might have looked at the 2013 WJC. No way he could be better than Murphy, Reinhart or Wotherspoon.
Still bugs me as to why team Canada thought they needed to replace him,kid was playing great .

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Still bugs me as to why team Canada thought they needed to replace him,kid was playing great .

what replaced? he played a significant role and played it well and the TEAM won gold. That's what they were there for.

Ellis came in late and replaced Hutton, much to the dismay of Vancouver fans. Hutton will have other opportunities, as will Ceci.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
what replaced? he played a significant role and played it well and the TEAM won gold. That's what they were there for.

Ellis came in late and replaced Hutton, much to the dismay of Vancouver fans. Hutton will have other opportunities, as will Ceci.
Looked more like Ceci got demoted ,he was playing some big mins and handled it quite well.But whatever your right we won ,still think Ceci deserves the chance to carry the ball as ppqb .This kid has been underated big time

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Looked more like Ceci got demoted ,he was playing some big mins and handled it quite well.But whatever your right we won ,still think Ceci deserves the chance to carry the ball as ppqb .This kid has been underated big time

I think the coaching staff made the right evaluation in identifying their top 4 d.

With this experience if Ceci comes back next year or the year after, there's a top 4 role waiting for him with lots of TOI. no arguments.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hope people now see what canucks fans for years have seen in tanev.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The Groups for next year have been determined.

Paris: France, Canada, Finland, Czech Rep., Switzerland, Belarus, Norway and Slovenia (a real tournament for Kopitar) Kopitar asks Doughty if he's going to Paris? Doughty answers: pffff. I'm driving up the coast and making smores over a campfire. I'm just kidding! Drew is one of my favorite players. Lovs ya, Drew. Really, as has been proven, your services are not needed here, go enjoy your smores...see you in the 2018 Olympics. if Uncle Gary allows it of course.

Cologne: Russia, USA, Sweden, Slovakia, Germany, Latvia, Denmark and Italy.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I could see another solid team next year, Paris should be quite a big additional motivation from cultural perspective, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the whole world, and you can't get much better in Europe, other than maybe London.

But that's TOO FAR away from now :) I guess the only sure thing is that McDavid would go if the Oilers were not making the playoffs, which alone makes me excited again because he WILL be much better.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Hope people now see what canucks fans for years have seen in tanev.

To be totally honest, while he's a dependable defender in his own end, he's also a bit of a throw away player. He struggled with zone exits a lot in my opinion, and isn't a possession focused defensemen, which is the way of the future in the game now.

He was certainly very serviceable on the PK though.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Groups for next year have been determined.

Paris: France, Canada, Finland, Czech Rep., Switzerland, Belarus, Norway and Slovenia (a real tournament for Kopitar) Kopitar asks Doughty if he's going to Paris? Doughty answers: pffff. I'm driving up the coast and making smores over a campfire. I'm just kidding! Drew is one of my favorite players. Lovs ya, Drew. Really, as has been proven, your services are not needed here, go enjoy your smores...see you in the 2018 Olympics. if Uncle Gary allows it of course.

Cologne: Russia, USA, Sweden, Slovakia, Germany, Latvia, Denmark and Italy.

Canada is in the less difficult group which is good. Being in Paris- many girlfriends/wives would be thrilled to go, so that is a good recruiting tool. Would be great to see a 3 peat next year!

team canada fan

Apr 11, 2016
Northern Ontario
smell a 3 peat also
similar round robin, 1 tough game with the Finns, and 2 working class games against the Czechs and Swiss, 4 tune-up games otherwise. gf's can have a 2 week shopping spree before the real tests come in the Semis and Finals, that oblige them to rest their boy's credit cards for a couple of hours, and take a seat in the stands

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Some of you were way too hard on this defensive group. Very happy to see them get it done.

Exactly. For no reason either.

I've seen Ceci enough in Ottawa games, it seems he elevated his play.
Peters made right call sitting Hutton out of that grouping.
Ellis being there took more pressure off of Dumba.
Murray seems to be coming into his own ,maybe healthy now ??
Rielly was good, but not horse descriptions I'm reading. He should be #2-3 for years to come but not #1 on playoff team.
Tanev was steady but I don't watch him a lot, need more sample size hope to see him back for future years as Canucks will likely be bad for next 2-5 yrs.
Matheson was exceptional and proved haters here wrong. MVP !

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
With some time to reflect, I'm very happy with the way our young D played. Here's my after tournament thoughts on our young D:

Murray was excellent and dependable. You hardly noticed him when he was out there, exactly what you want in a defensive D man. His skating is elite.

Matheson was great, his skating is outstanding. Needs to work on his puck handling a bit, but he's got all the tools to be a steady top 4 D man in Florida for many years.

Rielly is a stud. Franchise D potential written all over him.

Ellis was a beast. Perfect addition and exactly what we needed (if you guys recall I said that immediately when the news broke he was coming over). He brought a calmness to this team and was very good on the PP. The way he can hold the line is a thing of beauty. This guy brings his A game every time he puts on that Canadian jersey. Lots of respect for Ellis.

Tanev was like Murray, hardly noticed him out there. Exactly what you want, he did his job.

Dumba was alright. Made some mistakes, but fairly reliable when we needed him.

Ceci was solid. Good on the PP, fairly good puck mover. His skating isn't at the elite level like Murray, Rielly and Matheson. But overall, he was good.

Hutton, not a large enough sample size. But really if you think about it, what a year for Hutton. Came out of nowhere and had a great year for VAN. He's got a bright future ahead of him, he's an easy guy to cheer for.

Overall, very well done boys. We had concerns about our D but they stepped up when we needed them. They were all excellent against the Finns when it mattered most. Lots of blocked shots and turnovers, executed breakouts and generally looked calm and composed. All of them deserve praise and credit. Well done lads.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Hey! Welcome back. I was wondering what happened to you. Forgot to pay your phone/internet bill? LOL. Always appreciate your everything is sunshine and lollipops demeanor. It's a good contrast to my doom and gloom approach.

Sorry I forgot to answer. Yeah it was something like that :laugh:

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Canada is in the less difficult group which is good. Being in Paris- many girlfriends/wives would be thrilled to go, so that is a good recruiting tool. Would be great to see a 3 peat next year!

Can be good or bad...If there are more good teams in other pool, more chance u get a dangerous QF opponent...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad