2016 Rio Olympics | GYMNASTICS | August 6th thru August 21st

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I must say that Raisman in this edition was more artistic than in London. Back then she reminded me of the Michelin man, here in Rio she's been cool to watch. But make no mistake, I still prefer Mustafina-like gymnasts.

I wonder if she's gonna retire or there's hope for few more years and maybe Tokyo 2020. Same with Biles.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I must say that Raisman in this edition was more artistic than in London. Back then she reminded me of the Michelin man, here in Rio she's been cool to watch. But make no mistake, I still prefer Mustafina-like gymnasts.

I wonder if she's gonna retire or there's hope for few more years and maybe Tokyo 2020. Same with Biles.

Oh i think she's gone, Aly is. Mustifina said she's gone too.
Simone said she's retiring, but i think she'd probably come back if she feels like it. I do think it depends on what the new Code of Points are like as well.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Personally I'm happy with the points system. I'm glad it encourages gymnasts to attempt more difficult skills. "Artistry" is far too arbitrary to me. I like how difficulty is accounted for in the final score.

Also glad that Biles won again, as expected.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Personally I'm happy with the points system. I'm glad it encourages gymnasts to attempt more difficult skills. "Artistry" is far too arbitrary to me. I like how difficulty is accounted for in the final score.

Also glad that Biles won again, as expected.

yeah
it's encouraging more difficult skills that most of them can't do so you end up with ugly gymnastics. Like I said. a triple twisting punch front is hard. so is doing a triple arabesque turn without falling out. both are hard. 1 person can do the first perfectly, and we've seen it constantly, and 1 person can do the second constantly and we've seen it all over the Olympics. but because it's not "ooo daring" no one talks about it.

i just think ALL aspects of difficulty should be considered. not just the tumbling, and if you CAN'T do it, you should be punished to prevent people doing what that French guy did AGAIN - which is break his leg AGAIN on a vault AGAIN that he can not do, but he does it so he can get the points.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
yeah
it's encouraging more difficult skills that most of them can't do so you end up with ugly gymnastics. Like I said. a triple twisting punch front is hard. so is doing a triple arabesque turn without falling out. both are hard. 1 person can do the first perfectly, and we've seen it constantly, and 1 person can do the second constantly and we've seen it all over the Olympics. but because it's not "ooo daring" no one talks about it.

i just think ALL aspects of difficulty should be considered. not just the tumbling, and if you CAN'T do it, you should be punished to prevent people doing what that French guy did AGAIN - which is break his leg AGAIN on a vault AGAIN that he can not do, but he does it so he can get the points.

That's the fault of the people who decide to undertake elements that they can't complete. The scoring system SHOULD dramatically favor the gymnasts who are actually more talented at athletic elements and can pull them off consistently. I don't want to see Biles' floor routine start with the same highest potential score as Mustafina's floor routine.

Personally, I find the obsession with elegance in this sport nauseating.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That's the fault of the people who decide to undertake elements that they can't complete. The scoring system SHOULD dramatically favor the gymnasts who are actually more talented at athletic elements and can pull them off consistently. I don't want to see Biles' floor routine start with the same highest potential score as Mustafina's floor routine.

it's called artistic gymnastics. it's kind of assumed that elegance, or artistry should be a key part of the sport.

and the funny thing is - I don't even hear or see anyone saying that they want to remove the difficulty. I don't. some of my favourite gymnasts have a lot of power. I love the elements. I also appreciate the other side, and to quote you - the scoring system SHOULD dramatically favour those who are more talented at athletic elements (you try doing a triple turn on pointe in arabesque on a 4 inch beam and not fall off and we can talk). should also be awarded. It's just as athletic, it takes a lot of talent, only a few people in the world can do it constantly. What I want - is A: the gymnast to be able to do it properly, and B: if not - not get bonus points for attempting it. you did it or you didn't and if you didn't you should be punished not given a higher enough mark so you can medal. if your form is off, it should matter. Gymnastics is supposed to be the difficult made to look easy. As it is right now - it's not. and that's a problem.

In the 90s I was for those who could do the power moves to get credit and I still maintain that. but i don't think ugly, chuck a routine gymnastics is good for the sport either but whatever, you don't agree, so milage will have to vary on this.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I feel like there should be more of a focus on actual skill and technique in the Olympics, instead of artistry or elegance (I still don't get why "ice dancing" is an Olympic sport :laugh:). I don't care if you're smiling or moving elegantly, if you can stick a landing after hitting a quadruple backflip, that's what should earn you a gold medal.

It was brought up several times during the high jump that "there are no style points", and there aren't. Purely results-based, and those events also happen to have judges present.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

No way. China and Russia are gonna come hard at the US in 2020. They're going to need to put a great team out there, it's unlikely a 26 year old will fit that bill. Raisman has been a freak of nature in that she has stayed 100% healthy for like 7 years. That almost never happens for gymnasts. Add in the fact she was probably better this year than she was in 2012 is crazy too.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
China will be in Tokyo with the fire of a 1000 burning suns. they left Rio with 2 bronze medals. Period. No individual medal what so ever.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy

Artistic gymnastic is NOT a circus. If you don't want elegance and grace, together with technic, stick with men's gymnastic.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Artistic gymnastic is NOT a circus. If you don't want elegance and grace, together with technic, stick with men's gymnastic.

Yes because women are expected to be graceful and men aren't. :laugh: It's the gender stereotypes like that codified in the very system that I hate about women's gymnastics.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

men's gymnastics can be very graceful as well.

what you should say is if you don't want elegance and grace mixed with technic, stick with plain tumbling. it's there, it's really good.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I absolutely love watching gymnasts like Aliya Mustafina. I don't really follow the sport all that much outside of the Olympics and World Championships, but I do agree that pure skill/ability should be way more important than the elegance/grace. But it is artistic gymnastics, so I understand it definitely has a place. Simone Biles was extraordinary, but I prefer Mustafina's style.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
The argument about the difficulty is if they're going to do difficult moves they should be able to do it properly

Not barely land it like we saw in so many of the vaults in the vault final

An easier move properly executed and landed should still score better than a more difficult one barely landed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad